Red Hat Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Westfield, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westfield, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Repeat hires have an informal interview process

Negotiation

I got 3k less than what I asked for after 2 phases of negotiation and rejection of one role prior.

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

This phone screening was setup through a hiring agency with a basic database modeling set of questions to answer beforehand about products, orders, and users. On the day of the call, the IT manager was 12 minutes late and wasn't particularly worried about the impression that gives. We talked for a bit about the position and culture along with my background with a heavier focus around how work was managed. The job req lists alternative skills and the interviewer assured they weren't technology SOS but not sure how important specific skills are. In the end, we never discussed my responses to the database modeling questions and notified the next week they were looking at other candidates but that the interviewing manager was sure I'd fit somewhere else in the organization.

Interview Questions

• Discuss how you've managed scheduling and prioritizing work   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Had one phone interview and one F2F interview.

Interview Questions

• I was peppered with detailed API and SQL questions. Then I was asked how I would deal or solve some hypothetical scenario regarding database transaction. It was not a well thought out question and had difficulty understanding his English and his train of thought. Its possible he was asking for a solution he was currently dealing with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

The best way to get a job with Red Hat is to join an open source project that Red Hat is running. They will accept most volunteers. After you prove that you can do the work you have 2 options. Wait for a position to come open and they will ask you if you want a job. OR you can go online and apply for open positions. Depending on how much time and effort you put in the open source project determines the interview difficulty.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to do a code walk through of an entire project that I wrote on and hosted on github.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The position only had a certain amount of funding that year, it was just below what I was asking but it was worth it.

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Remote, OR) in December 2015.

Interview

Spoke with manager first, and then a senior technical staff member.

This was then followed by another session of three technical staff over two hours of a video / audio call.

Best advice I can give , is be honest. if you don't know something, say so. Red Hat folk are very smart, and will catch you out, if you try to spin them a yarn.

After this, an offer was made by HR, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Mainly discussing what I was doing in my then current, now former company / role. Each time I spoke about a topic, they would start to take the topic deeper to see what my understanding was.

It was friendly atmosphere and no role playing or any tests were proposed.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

HR asked what I expected, and what was the minimum I would accept. I gave them a range.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2016.

Interview

3 rounds of interview. First 2 rounds were purely Technical with coding rounds. We discussed about my skills , storage domain and customer facing skils incase of any escalations. They tested my problem solving skills.

Initial 2 rounds of questions are in LinkedLists, sockets, Queues and strings, as i am from object oriented background i wrote code in C++, but they said work will be in C. So i took procedural approach to solve the problems

Interview Questions

• Program on socket where sender will send packets in zigzag manner and receiver needs to put the packets in order and then process them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes. I negotiated little bit

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Brisbane (Australia)) in July 2013.

Interview

Fairly typical interview from recruiter, after that you'll get a couple of technical take home homework. One on one's and some behavioral questions. Overall the interview was good and very efficient, they know what candidates they are looking for.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Brisbane (Australia)) in January 2013.

Interview

Phone interview and then onsite interview with different peoples focusing on different aspects. All behavioral interview questions. You need to describe in specific detail about your experience. There aren't technical challenging testing involved. You need to present your background well and know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

• Describe one thing that demonstrated you are a determined person   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Red Hat (Berlin (Germany)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview went in 3 phases:
    - Phone Screen with Recruiter
    - 2 Technical Interviews
    - Manager Interview

A common them across all of these is that they start with questions your background. As soon as you mention a specific topic or technology, the interviewers start asking deeper questions about it until they can get a feel of how knowledgeable you are about it, then they switch to the next point, rinse, repeat.
    As others here have pointed out, be honest, when you don't know something simply say you don't know.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Bengaluru (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

4 rounds telephonic interview followed by 8 face to face interviews. All technical and related to work i have done. Some was related to coding as well. All in all good technical experence.you will know where you stand in industry.

Interview Questions

• Describe fabric login process... Difference between rhel 5 and rhel 6   Answer Question