Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 29, 2016

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1. Aptitude + Tech objective type totally consisting of 60 questions
2. Short listed candidates had a 1.5 hour C program implementation round, There were 3 questions. Two on dynamic allocation. The other one was a simple program to test your logical skills.
3. Short listed candidates had 1:1 tech interview. Questions were mostly on OS and C.
4. Short listed candidates had a panel tech interview. Questions were on Unix System programming, OS, C, Data Structures.
5. Short listed candidates had a 1;! HR interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about signaling in Unix system programming. As I was answering, the topic changed into Microprocessor and HW, Was not prepared for that.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Usually you need to have a interview only one time. The interview is a kind of casual and you don't need to wear suites. Usually interviewer don't care about formality.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Recruiter told me that I was a great fit, but requested compensation didn't match the range for the position. So I said that I was willing to be flexible, and then the recruiter told me that they would get back to me soon. After some time I called the recruiter, who then proceeded to put me on hold. After about 20 minutes of being on hold, I was disconnected and not called back. After 2 more days I emailed the recruiter, who replied and let me know that they would talk to the hiring manager and get back to me within a day. 3 business days passed with no response from the recruiter. I then called the recruiter who told me that the hiring manager wasn't interested because of my requested salary range (despite expressing desire to be flexible).

So all in all 2-3 weeks of back and forth with a recruiter, and not one conversation with a hiring manager. It is clear that Red Hat is interested in hiring cheap, rather than highly qualified individuals. If you are even marginally skilled, I would avoid applying here. The recruiter I spoke to was nice, and despite hanging up on me, and not being proactive about responding.

Interview Questions

• We think you should be paid way less then you currently make, are you willing to be flexible?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat in July 2011.

Interview

The entire process was very easy and friendly. Red Hat puts quite a bit of weight into employee referrals. My initial contacts were with the same person in HR who was very responsive over email and phone. Since I don't live near the main headquarters, I was able to do all of my interviews over the phone. One of which, I went into one of their sales offices to use a conference room. I had 3 or 4 interviews with engineers and direct managers on the team (nobody from HR). They asked a few stock scenario type questions ("Tell me about a time you ..."). Then the rest of the time was technical discussions (didn't really feel like an interview, just like chatting over coffee). The interviewers had obviously read my resume and dug into some projects and were curious about details.

Interview Questions

• Describe how SSH private key authentication works   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were pretty set on the salary for the position, which was slightly lower than I was hoping for, but more than my previous salary, so I didn't have much room for negotiation. The stock bonus was very generous. The ability to work fully remotely was not even the slightest problem despite the fact that the job posting was technically for an on-site position at one of their engineering offices.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

Interview

Only a single interview with two of the software engineers. Asked technical questions based on how compilers work as well as behavioural questions to guage my interest in the company. They were very nice and they helped me out when I was struggling. Also very encouraging in terms of urging you to think harder and come up with the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design a compiler what would be the first feature you would build for it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Charlotte, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, about one hour each.

Neither were especially technical, we discussed the team they were hiring for, the experience and qualities they were looking for, and fairly standard questions for software engineers.

The first interview was with a software engineer on the team. He was friendly and, after looking over my experience, seemed to feel I would be a good fit. After the interview he passed me on to his supervisor.

The second interview was with his supervisor, the team lead. While he repeated many of the same questions as the first interview, the friendly casual air was replaced with that of an interrogation. Many of the questions I asked were taken in the most negative context possible, more than once derailing the interview into the interviewer venting about past team members.

I've heard nothing further about this job, but after the last interview I really didn't want to work with this man so I haven't followed up about it either.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Whole process was pretty smooth and has been handled pretty well.

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Remote, OR) in August 2009.

Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter, then manager. Talked with manager several times before moving forward with an individual screening, then a team interview. Lots of questions about what I do and what I've done and just an overall feel for how I might potentially fit into the team. Seemed like - and still seems like a good fit.

Interview Questions

• I got quizzed on a few python intricacies but I can't recall them anymore since that was over 2 years ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiation. I think Red Hat thinks that they have really great compensation because it was kind of take it or leave it. I still wish I tried harder.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat in November 2011.

Interview

It took a while. First of all, I submited my resume using web form on redhat.com page. I had no response from HR or anything. I was waiting indefinitely. Only contract with team members I wanted to work with keept my hope.

I had few interviews with team leader and second team member. Then I've got short talk with my manager.

The most unexpected part was the contract with recruiter. I was accepted by team members and manager in November. The recruiter come back to me in February. So after more than three months HR team was able to proceed whole process.

After negotiations things went smoothly, but waiting was a nightmare.

Interview Questions

• Since I was recommended by other person I had no tests. Questions was more about overall experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I was accepted to be an contractor only one thing I was able to negotiate was salary. The strange thing is that salary is negotiated in local currency but payment was made in foreign currency.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thiruvananthapuram (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Hat (Thiruvananthapuram (India)) in July 2013.

Interview

The first round contained aptitude and programming questions based on C .From it , half of the candidates were eliminated . It was followed by two technical interviews in which they mostly ask questions on your project(very important) ,data structures , operating systems and on your choice of programming language (c/java) . The HR round is just for formality and they give you the offer

Interview Questions

• You are given a binary tree as input , find whether the tree is a BST or not .   1 Answer