Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.8

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1. Aptitude + Tech objective type totally consisting of 60 questions
2. Short listed candidates had a 1.5 hour C program implementation round, There were 3 questions. Two on dynamic allocation. The other one was a simple program to test your logical skills.
3. Short listed candidates had 1:1 tech interview. Questions were mostly on OS and C.
4. Short listed candidates had a panel tech interview. Questions were on Unix System programming, OS, C, Data Structures.
5. Short listed candidates had a 1;! HR interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about signaling in Unix system programming. As I was answering, the topic changed into Microprocessor and HW, Was not prepared for that.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Usually you need to have a interview only one time. The interview is a kind of casual and you don't need to wear suites. Usually interviewer don't care about formality.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Recruiter told me that I was a great fit, but requested compensation didn't match the range for the position. So I said that I was willing to be flexible, and then the recruiter told me that they would get back to me soon. After some time I called the recruiter, who then proceeded to put me on hold. After about 20 minutes of being on hold, I was disconnected and not called back. After 2 more days I emailed the recruiter, who replied and let me know that they would talk to the hiring manager and get back to me within a day. 3 business days passed with no response from the recruiter. I then called the recruiter who told me that the hiring manager wasn't interested because of my requested salary range (despite expressing desire to be flexible).

So all in all 2-3 weeks of back and forth with a recruiter, and not one conversation with a hiring manager. It is clear that Red Hat is interested in hiring cheap, rather than highly qualified individuals. If you are even marginally skilled, I would avoid applying here. The recruiter I spoke to was nice, and despite hanging up on me, and not being proactive about responding.

Interview Questions

• We think you should be paid way less then you currently make, are you willing to be flexible?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat in July 2011.

Interview

The entire process was very easy and friendly. Red Hat puts quite a bit of weight into employee referrals. My initial contacts were with the same person in HR who was very responsive over email and phone. Since I don't live near the main headquarters, I was able to do all of my interviews over the phone. One of which, I went into one of their sales offices to use a conference room. I had 3 or 4 interviews with engineers and direct managers on the team (nobody from HR). They asked a few stock scenario type questions ("Tell me about a time you ..."). Then the rest of the time was technical discussions (didn't really feel like an interview, just like chatting over coffee). The interviewers had obviously read my resume and dug into some projects and were curious about details.

Interview Questions

• Describe how SSH private key authentication works   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were pretty set on the salary for the position, which was slightly lower than I was hoping for, but more than my previous salary, so I didn't have much room for negotiation. The stock bonus was very generous. The ability to work fully remotely was not even the slightest problem despite the fact that the job posting was technically for an on-site position at one of their engineering offices.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in November 2014.

Interview

Only a single interview with two of the software engineers. Asked technical questions based on how compilers work as well as behavioural questions to guage my interest in the company. They were very nice and they helped me out when I was struggling. Also very encouraging in terms of urging you to think harder and come up with the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design a compiler what would be the first feature you would build for it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Charlotte, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, about one hour each.

Neither were especially technical, we discussed the team they were hiring for, the experience and qualities they were looking for, and fairly standard questions for software engineers.

The first interview was with a software engineer on the team. He was friendly and, after looking over my experience, seemed to feel I would be a good fit. After the interview he passed me on to his supervisor.

The second interview was with his supervisor, the team lead. While he repeated many of the same questions as the first interview, the friendly casual air was replaced with that of an interrogation. Many of the questions I asked were taken in the most negative context possible, more than once derailing the interview into the interviewer venting about past team members.

I've heard nothing further about this job, but after the last interview I really didn't want to work with this man so I haven't followed up about it either.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Got my phone screen 3 months after applying online, that part was pretty positive and I thought went well. A month later, scheduled a second interview. I got sick and asked to postpone a week. Then 3 days before the interview, I notice the jobs site says "no longer under consideration". I'm kinda bewildered why the sudden change of heart, but regardless candidates should at least get an email informing them of the change. I had to ask, and was told I'd get an update after checking with the manager, which I never received. It's fine if you wanna reject me as a candidate, but there's a right way to do that. It makes me wonder if the HR department can't keep up with the hiring they've been asked to do.

Interview Questions

• Discussed past projects, technologies I'd used, challenges I'd had with those technologies, and my relationship/interest in open source.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Berlin (Germany)) in May 2015.

Interview

They reviewed some code I had written at home, written at my own pace and consulting whatever I wanted. We had some design discussions about it and interacted via github. We had conversations about culture and value in the open source world.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Red Hat (Atlanta, GA) in August 2017.

Interview

Red Hat recruiter contacted me to setup the interviews. I had 3 rounds of interviews. 1 with my hiring manager, 1 with my team lead, and 2 with my peers. In all 3 rounds there were a mixture of behavior questions, situational, and technical questions. But I would say it got more technical each round. The entire process took around 1 month and 2 weeks.

My only gripe about this process is to be patient. It is a slow process from start to finish. I felt ignored throughout the entire process, and was told that was very normal.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What is your experience in this field?   1 Answer

Negotiation

When you apply to the job, one of the questions asked is, what is your current salary? (probably best interest to not answer this question). They use that figure and other metrics based on experience and job type to provide you an offer. After receiving my initial offer, I decided to decline it.
    Then it took an arduous 3 days to finally reach the recruiter by phone. (I assume it's their strategy to make you second guess on countering)
    I discussed my counter offer and re-negotiated the terms. The recruiter then tried to make me excited about the existing offer, but I held firm. The conversation ended with the recruiter will need a day to go back and see what they can do about my counter but no guarantees or promises.
    The following day after that conversation, I received a new offer with the terms within reason of what I asked for. Then I proceeded to accept the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Whole process was pretty smooth and has been handled pretty well.