Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Red Hat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a week later for a phone interview. It was a very professional and efficient process. Each round I moved on they explained every step thoroughly and what to expect going forward.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Got my phone screen 3 months after applying online, that part was pretty positive and I thought went well. A month later, scheduled a second interview. I got sick and asked to postpone a week. Then 3 days before the interview, I notice the jobs site says "no longer under consideration". I'm kinda bewildered why the sudden change of heart, but regardless candidates should at least get an email informing them of the change. I had to ask, and was told I'd get an update after checking with the manager, which I never received. It's fine if you wanna reject me as a candidate, but there's a right way to do that. It makes me wonder if the HR department can't keep up with the hiring they've been asked to do.

Interview Questions

• Discussed past projects, technologies I'd used, challenges I'd had with those technologies, and my relationship/interest in open source.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Brno (Czech Republic)) in September 2016.

Interview

The first step was a video screening with a recruiter. Most question was about my previous experience. Mainly technical. He/She also presented the company to me and ask me why I want to work for Red Hat.

Next step was a technical interview (video conference) with three guys approximately two hours. Started asking same questions with the first interview about my technical experience. Then, bombed with a lot of too advanced language-based questions. A lot of them.

Overall, very professional deal with the candidate but too demanding...

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Pune (India)) in June 2016.

Interview

There were 3 technical rounds and 2 Managerial/general discussion rounds all held through video conferencing (Bluejeans) from the US.
    questions were related to basic shell scripting, python, docker, maven and Git.
    The technical rounds were not very difficult and the managers were very easy to talk to people.

The only thing i found irritating was that it took too long, almost 1 interview per week.

Interview Questions

• How would debug a maven POM script?   Answer Question
    • Write a script to clear the data older than x days from a location and send a verification email to the user group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

First round with the Hiring Manager , next round with the technical director. Average difficulty. Hiring Managers questions were based on past Experience, Technical Questions Included Databases especially NOSQL and MongoDB , other Questions included Linux OS and simple java based questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background ? And how familiar are you with Red Hat?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

There were total 2 rounds. One with the manager on phone asking about my background and another onsite in the raleigh headquaters. Questions were mostly related to situations in code and how to solve them. The overall experience was great and I was notified within a day that I got selected. The interview took al,ost a week from the phone screen to the onsite one.

Interview Questions

• What is one prooject you are proud of? Explain everything about it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brno (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Brno (Czech Republic)) in January 2014.

Interview

It was fun. But waiting was a nightmare. Interviewers was awesome guys. All of them.
    So once you applied on net you'll get phone call then group interview. It's fast enough phase. But then it's waiting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Waiting is a nightmare. If you don't want to wait just do not apply here.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in January 2011.

Interview

I remember I got at at least 1 phone screen and 3 or 4 onsite interviews. All of the technical interviews are about OS details since I applied for a Linux kernel job.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in May 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Red Hat for the software engineering intern position. The process was great and the questions asked were relevant to the profile. The interviewer asked me to code and the recruiter asked me questions on my resume and work experience.

Interview Questions

• coding questions on algorithms, data structures, and operating systems   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Recruiter told me that I was a great fit, but requested compensation didn't match the range for the position. So I said that I was willing to be flexible, and then the recruiter told me that they would get back to me soon. After some time I called the recruiter, who then proceeded to put me on hold. After about 20 minutes of being on hold, I was disconnected and not called back. After 2 more days I emailed the recruiter, who replied and let me know that they would talk to the hiring manager and get back to me within a day. 3 business days passed with no response from the recruiter. I then called the recruiter who told me that the hiring manager wasn't interested because of my requested salary range (despite expressing desire to be flexible).

So all in all 2-3 weeks of back and forth with a recruiter, and not one conversation with a hiring manager. It is clear that Red Hat is interested in hiring cheap, rather than highly qualified individuals. If you are even marginally skilled, I would avoid applying here. The recruiter I spoke to was nice, and despite hanging up on me, and not being proactive about responding.

Interview Questions

• We think you should be paid way less then you currently make, are you willing to be flexible?   Answer Question