Red Hat Solutions Architect Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 11, 2017

3.2

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed with eleven people, including recruiters, managers, architects, and account managers. Each individual that I spoke with impressed me with his or her passion for Red Hat and the open-source way. My interest in joining Red Hat was enhanced by the very intelligent and pleasant people that I met throughout the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you were able to positively influence a difficult customer.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Red Hat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Red Hat (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by Interview at New York City Office. Interviewer was new and had poor intimidating attitude and no skill - he got every technical point wrong. He asked simple questions on J EE, got it wrong like it's been called J EE for years and he thought J2EE and then said I should go along with being treated abusively and listening to wrong answers - I am good in dealing with people - they were backwards and clueless. They blundered again because they couldn't understand Java class loaders - and this was a Sr Solution Architect role. Such a lack of talent and he and another non-techinical manager kept saying 'I've never heard that before' - what losers. Management - If you want to get and keep good people lose the no talent poor attitude front line people because you have no chance of getting anyone who has programming skill let alone good professionals with people like that. I bnet you'd double to triple the quality of your talent base by removing non-technical middle managers standing in their way. Technical people ask technical questions not non-technical entry level managers who don't know they don't know.

Solution Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat in April 2013.

Interview

Had phone interview with marketing guy. Went well. Then never heard back from recruiter as to whether or not the process would move forward. So I called the recruiter back a week later and she told me that they had already made an offer to another candidate! What a waste of my time. The duplicity of HR and recruiters at Red Hat leave a bad taste in my mouth and now I never want to work for them or do business with them. Dishonest company.

Interview Questions

• not difficult did not matter they had no real intention of offering me the job   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Atlanta, GA) in August 2012.

Interview

Multiple technical phone screens. Several rounds of technical questions followed by four in person interviews and a presentation. The process was difficult and drawn out. It was overly complicated for this level role.

Interview Questions

• Descriptions of application design, architecture, low level JDK questions, performance tuning.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Dallas, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview process was very informal. I did a phone screening, and face-to-face, and then a mock presentation. The technical screening (phone) consisted the usual techie questions. The panel interview was a presentation in front of the sales reps.

Interview Questions

• The sales reps asked very sales-ey questions that i was not familiar with.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Process started off well with plenty of communication from the recruiter, they lined up the phone interview quickly. From there is was pretty much a complete joke. Weeks would go by with zero communication, no information on what was happening, many times I assumed it was dead. From the phone interview to scheduling the face to face interview it took 2 months!

The face to face interview was frosty and unpleasant, no attempt was made to demonstrate what it would be like working at Red Hat, the team, the culture, even the simple details of the job were all forgotten. It seemed like an exercise to grill the candidate as much as possible with a barrage of questions and show off how clever they are at interviews (posing off the wall questions and laughing at your response)

After the interview I've heard nothing. Three weeks have passed and they've ignored every email, and failed to give any feedback or information on how it went. Absolutely terrible, I would not ever work at Red Hat based on this experiance

Interview Questions

• Wanted a presentation on Hybrid Cloud, which was to be an essay style opinion piece   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)) in June 2016.

Interview

First step was a group activity. Initially each person introduced themselves (education, experience, goals, etc). Next we were given out a short story full of ambiguities to answers questions about, individually, in groups of three, then form a single consensus to compare to an official set of responses. Afterwards, individually, we were asked to write essays about the open-source software market.

Second interview was individual, with a senior solutions architect, the team manager and an HR rep. We had to prepare a presentation about a business case and answer varied questions.

Interview Questions

• Did you attend any open-source/free-software conferences?   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2016.

Interview

I had 4 interviews with RH. The first one was with the recruiting agent (RH), meeting went well and he scheduled another meeting face-to-face with who might become my manager. This meeting also went well with both side asking good questions to evaluate the candidate/opportunity. The recruiting agent contacted me again few days later asking to return for a 3rd interview with the sales manager and the account executive that I would be working with. This interview also went well, even though I felt they were looking for a slightly different profile. At this point, I thought I wouldn't be called back, but the recruiting agent called me back few days later asking me to come to what would be the last interview. This interview was supposed to test my presentation skills. They gave me a scenario 2 days before the interview to prepare and present in front of a panel that would "act" as the customer in the scenario. The scenario was a 1 pager with some notes that I would have supposedly taken during a previous meeting and I had 30min to present the result of my finding to them. The beginning went well, but quickly, the members were after some very specific information that I didn't have in my slides and I didn't know. While I understand the "grilling" part to show how I would handle presser with real customer's, I found that the insistence on the same topic was pointless since it was clear I did not have the answer they were after. At the end I was told that I needed to wait 1 week to get the result since they still had 2-3 more candidates to interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for RH?   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Interview

These were probably the most insulting interviews I have ever had. Initially I did not even process what had just happened, it was only a few days later when I really understood how condescending those phone calls where.

The initial call, with the actual recruiter, went just fine. He seemed like a nice person, understanding of the needs of his company and to the point about the process. Nothing much to comment, negatively, about him.

I agreed to have a call with the person in charge. The call started off in what seemed like a nice environment which quickly turned sour. The person on the other end of the line told me, literally: "I had to laugh at your CV, listing you won a programming contest four years in a row when there were probably no other contestants".
    To put things in context; I grew up in south America, where I also got my university degree. We used to hold a programming contest among the local universities, which had a significant number of students in the IT branch. Having that said; I won that context four years in a row. Four out of my five years at university, the fifth time I did not take part in the contest.

The tone in which this person said he had to laugh at my CV took me by surprise, I tried to ignore the fact that I had just been plainly insulted, almost like I had to put that in my CV just to make it sound more interesting. I continued with the conversation trying to focus on what RedHat could potentially offer me.

The interview ended well -of course, the person on the other line must have felt his ego take a boost- which led to another phone call from the recruiter organizing a second interview with another person.

I got the call as scheduled and it all seemed to go well; the usual questions about "what and why", and then... Again, let's put things into context; I have been involved, mainly, with start-ups for as long as I can remember, it made me happy and I am proud I went that route. Not only has it been a very enriching path but it has also given me the opportunity to fully unleash my creative power and build some of the most amazing things.

Then, at some point, my interlocutor said he was extremely worried because of my start-up experience. "It does not seem you have much corporate experience and RedHat is NOT (stressing out the not) a start-up", he continued; "You cannot join a company like RedHat, with over 9000 employees, with a start-up mind set, we used to be a start-up, yes, 15 years ago. We are NOT (again, the stress on not) a start-up". - Interesting, wouldn't you agree?

I guess the part that was actually funny was that they were calling me for a role I did not even apply for.

I remember the days when tech companies thought it was cool to try to completely destroy the candidate at an interview. Companies like Google used to have this ridiculous recruitment process where, in the middle of a significant conversation, they would ask you how many tennis balls you can fit in a plane... To determine you reactive thinking, so they said. Absurd!

If I, or anyone else, applies for a job at your company, that does not mean you have the right to patronize, be condescending, insult, diminish or any way offend the person you are interviewing. You must, first of all, acknowledge that to this person you (or your company, for that matter) are someone to look up to, else they would not waste their time sending you their application. Be humble, you have been chosen by someone and this someone is going to dedicate a part of their life to your company.

I felt very disrespected by RedHat and I would encourage anyone to stop this behaviour as soon as it appears. Not matter which company it is, do not let them pretend they are better, stronger, faster and smarter than you, if they were they would not be calling you, they need you.

About me; I am a software engineer, I hold a MSc. in Computer Science and a MSc. in Biomedical Engineering. I started a PhD. in Neuroscience and I have worked on every continent. I also speak 5 languages.

Interview Questions

• Why do I list in my CV that I have won a programming contest four years in a row and why do I have so much start-up experience?   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Red Hat (Bengaluru (India)) in March 2016.

Interview

Simple process had multiple rounds of Interview, Stated with telephonic then face to face in Redhat office.Got good support during the process and the approach from the respective was good. overall it was good experience all together.

Interview Questions

• Technical discussion and Client Management discussion based upon Experience.   Answer Question