Red Hat Interview Questions in Westford, MA | Glassdoor

Red Hat Interview Questions in Westford, MA

3.2

Principal Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Several hours long on-site in Westford, MA. A mix of in person and remote video conference interviews. Shepherded by the recruiter and hiring manger. Interviewees were senior level engineering and product management members.
    Red Hat paid for air fare, rental car, hotel and food.
    Interview questions were behavioral focused.
    Note that Red Hat generally supports remote work.

Interview Questions

• Q: how would you decide where to invest resources / prioritize features?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was very solid. No need to negotiate.

NFV Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

I love Red Hat and would love to work for them. They are growing (too?) fast and I fear that sadly their interview process is severely broken as a result. Analysis-Paralyses as someone else in these reviews said.

I thus see it as my moral obligation to inform others such that they can prepare in case you enter the interview process.

I was approached directly by their in house recruiter via social media. Then had a phone interview followed by a phone interview with a SME. Next, I got invited for an onsite interview with the hiring manager. At the end he told me I would be invited for a 'formal' onsite interview. I then had a subsequent onsite visit consisting of 4 interviews including the group's director, a manager and 2 SME's.

Got great feedback afterwards and a week later was told the 'good news' that they wanted 2 additional interviews. I thought this was odd. Should the stakeholders not have been able to decide at this point?

Additional 2 interviews went well. In fact, I had a great interview with an Exec who said he'd be supportive and inform the director and one interview with another mgr. At this point anyone in my shoes would have thought they would stand a fair chance.

Everyone was super nice and interesting to talk to, especially since NFV is a new foray for them and I happen to come from a background of the other component to NFV. The recruiter told me he would hopefully know by week's end....

But then.. COMPLETE radio silence.. I gave it a few weeks and then began to ask via calls/emails about the status of my application. All were completely ignored. I did not even get a 'get back to you' or 'we're still thinking about it', not even a simple 'your not a fit', nothing!

See, I happen to think that we're all adults and that we all can take professional rejection. They owe me nothing, certainly not a job, but where is the professional courtesy and respect anyone deserves having made it this far in the process? To me it is imperative that loops are closed! Imagine getting an MRI scan and the Dr telling you he will be in touch about the results, never to be heared from again...

A rejection by simply ignoring someone? That is very rude as others have brought up as well. It is also completely disrespectful of my time and effort (easily 15 hours worth) I put in as well as to their associates who had to set aside time. Again, sure, I am a bit disappointed that I didn't get the position but that's how it goes.

It is for how the process was handled that they get a negative review for overall experience.

A couple of observations/recommendations:
    1) ASK about the exact interview process
    2) ASK names/titles of people you speak with (I asked but didn't get it always)
    3) Be very weary of 'good news' that all of a sudden involve more interviews. It is likely for another group, find out what/whom you will be speaking with BEFORE agreeing to these interviews.
    4) Their hiring managers don't make the decisions to hire, a whole 'panel' decides. I spoke with 8 people in total and there is bound to be someone lukewarm on you. It is almost becoming like American politics: you simply can't get an up or down vote!

Red Hat is a reputable company and I would totally love to work for them at some point, but I have to call them out on their cumbersome hiring practices. Reading a bit on here, it seems I am not the only one experiencing this.

The recruiter actually told me to look on Glassdoor to see how people love Red Hat. So, sadly, I am writing this review, while I had hoped to write a review of a completely different nature....

Interview Questions

• The industry, my background, interests. Everyone was very nice and knowledgeable and intelligent. Pleasant atmosphere conducive to talking. It never really felt like an interview (with the exception of a lower ranking engineer who kind of interviewed 'by the book')   Answer Question

Product Manager I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA).

Interview

2 phone screens (HR and development manager), online present, and then a meet and greet onsite in Westford. The onsite visit was about 4 hours long. Pretty standard questions, not really impressed with the interviewers ~ really didn't answer my questions.

Received offer and was told that I needed to start immediately; this, despite, telling them, several times in fact, that due to my wife's medical condition that I could not relocate for 4 to 6 weeks (I was moving from Canada). 4 weeks after turning offer down, a different recruiter contacted me and said they were willing to wait. I declined again.

Interview Questions

• Given the nature of the position, I was asked several questions relating to my experience as a "product manager".   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was reasonable.

Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process involved a recruiter phone screening, number of behavioral interviews over the phone with team members, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager (iirc). I was told they'd get back to me by a certain date. Then they asked for a two-week extension when they date came. Then they never got back to me. They left me hanging, not knowing how to conduct the rest of my job search. They never even had the decency to let me know I was no longer being considered, despite promising to call me back.

Also, the job was advertised as allowing remote work from anywhere in the U.S., but they declined to advertise that there are 7 states from which they won't normally hire people. So it was irritating to invest the effort into getting an interview without knowing that likely roadblock awaited.

Overall I'm deeply disappointed with Red Hat. They showed a systemic lack of character.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember. Normal stuff like "what's your biggest mistake".   Answer Question

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied directly through Red Hat's website and didn't expect to hear back at all. But I did! Yay! And keep in mind, I applied for an entry level job. I internally was moved into my current position as tech support engineer, but I was originally hired for something that was very foot-in-the-door.

To give a very high level overview of the process: I followed up with them directly to see if they had reviewed my resume. They in turn followed up by setting up a phone screen with someone that I'd work with in the specific group the job opening was for. After the phone screen they asked to set up an in person interview. Once the interview was done, they decided to offer me a job. They in turn redirected me through a recruiter who handled the hiring and negotiation process from then on out.

This is the only complaint I have. I wished I would have known that I would be dealing with a hiring/placement agency. Would it have changed anything? Nah. It just would have been nice to know.

Having said that, I think only certain positions go through agencies. RH definitely has their only internal recruiters and of course they have HR as well to handle all the hiring goodness. I don't know where the distinction falls.

Anywaysssssssssssssssss, back to the process. On the interview day, I interviewed with 3 people. Each person was assigned to ask questions about RH values. So interspersed with some typical interview questions, each person asked questions to try and determine if you fit RH values. I'd say there was probably equal emphasis placed on RH values and experience. It's been a bit, but I think examples of values are: honesty, ability to work openly, taking responsibility, courage, commitment, etc.

The whole process took about a week. That's from when I started bugging them on FB and through their "status check of application" function which was a feature on their careers page on their website (I don't know if they still have that or not) to getting the job offer.

The phone screen took about 15 - 30mins? I believe they wanted to set up an in person interview within the same day of the phone screen. Then the interview took about 3 hours or so. They had offered me a job by the next day IIRC. Since I was redirected through a placement agency, salary negotiation didn't seem like it was something that could be done. However, after my contractor term expired and RH offered me the job, I was able to negotiate some.

Interview Questions

• Not too technical of an interview. They were mostly looking for personality fit. someone with passion, a bit of tech skills, aptitude for all things linux/computer related.

However, this was an entry level job. Other jobs certainly have much more difficult and relevant interviews.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

It was N/A but mostly bc I was brought on as a contractor through an agency. See my above ramblings

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and got an email back from the recruiter asking me to write a page up as to why I think I would be good for this role. After that I got a call from the recruiter in couple of days to schedule a telephonic round of interview with the hiring manager. The interview went on well and the hiring manager asked me to go through the links for the product and come up with a live demo for the face to face interview round. I had two face to face interview round with the manager and the director which went well and was offered which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Red Hat being an open source provider they are looking for new ideas to make their product integration and usage more customer friendly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It is negotiable to an extent.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in January 2009.

Interview

The interview process is detailed and long.
    You will meet with several people over a period of time.
    It may feel like a long process but Red Hat is thorough in it's interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of the Open Source Way, be sure to understand this, it is different from other software companies   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Red Hat (Westford, MA) in January 2008.

Interview

Interview process included phone screening and in-person interviews with peers, direct manager, and other organizational managers. Questions were directly focused on my personal actions and contributions in previous jobs, and were usually situational. Direct manager interview also consisted of a very free form conversation, more of a "get to know you" atmosphere. Lunch was provided and hosted by a colleague who worked on the same team. Overall, a very positive experience and one which was obviously designed to weed out bozos early.

Interview Questions

• Paraphrasing: Describe a situation where you observed things going off the rails on a project and you chose not to take action. What happened, and why did you make that choice?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Short and sweet. However, I get the impression the process is more difficult over the last year or two as recruiters are often incredibly overassigned.