Redis Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Redis Labs Interview Questions

Interviews at Redis Labs

GRC Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Redis Labs (Mountain View, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

*Unscheduled* phone call with the CISO, then on-site with a panel.
    Role was presented as a GRC role but when on-site was told it was more of a vulnerability management hands-on role. I was told that they were not moving forward with me due to my lack of experience on a skill that wasn't listed on the job description. (I went back and looked.)

Honestly, I was not upset as when I was saying goodbye's the CISO stated that I "have a great smile and to keep smiling". Definitely made me uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Discussion around implementing vulnerability management software.
      Spanish and Portuguese language skills.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Redis Labs in January 2020.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews.

Round 1) Recruiter Phone Screen: Basic screening to gauge whether it's fit for both sides.

Round 2) Customer Support Team Lead Phone Interview: Interview with the team lead. A bit more personal questions to get to know the candidate and dig deeper to ensure they're fit for the team and role. Some technical questions thrown in as well. Basic questions about why clustering is used, when/how to use telnet, basic linux command line questions. Discussion about the next steps.

Round 3) Technical Assessment: They want this to be done all in one sitting which can be several hours (they estimate 6-8 hours, but it can likely be done quicker if experienced with the product and its configuration settings). Once they've sent the test via email, it cannot be rescheduled, so be sure to keep an eye on your email to make sure you don't miss when they plan to send it! Here is an excerpt of the test as provided:

1. Verify connectivity to the remote hosts and "reply all" with confirmation (or explain any connection issues you’re facing).
    2. Install standalone Open Source Redis server version 3.0.7 on Server A.
    3. Use memtier-benchmark tool, created by Redis Labs, to load data into the standalone Redis.
    4. Install Redis Enterprise Software GA version on Server B.
    5. Setup Redis Enterprise Software.
    6. Create Redis DB on Redis Enterprise Software.
    7. Please send an email (Reply All) with a few details about how it is going so far.
    8. Enable Unidirectional Replica Of between the Redis Enterprise Software and the Open Source Redis.
    (Source: OpenSource Redis, Target: Redis Enterprise Software)
    9. Choose any technology to implement this using the most appropriate Redis Data Type:

Insert 100 random values (can be any pseudo random of any type of data) to the Redis OSS server, and read and print them in a reverse insertion order from the Redis Enterprise Software Redis resource.
    Explain why this is the most efficient Redis Data Type for this task.
    (Note that this step is completely independent of step 3.)

Rounds 4+) Tech assessment Feedback interview and peer interviews as needed.

Interview Questions

Redis Labs Response

Feb 5, 2020 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our interviewing process. We are sorry to hear you did not have a good interviewing experience and assure you we are always working to improving. Our team dedicates a lot of time for interviewing, to guarantee every new member who joins the team is a fit for the role and team. Our technical exercise is designed to ensure only top talent joins us and would like to keep its integrity as much as possible. We appreciate sharing an example of the old version as it will allow other applicants to consider the level of technical standards our team holds. We’ll make sure the new version upholds the same level. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we wish you the best in your career.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Redis Labs.

Interview

I did a ton of research on the company, it's an awesome product. Unfortunately, the recruiter the male recruiter. completely ghosted me for the interview. We had a phone screen, that he set the time for and said he'd call me. I waited and nothing came. Five minutes after the scheduled time, I emailed him. The email software I use lets me see when someone has read my email. He read the email and still did not choose to email me back or honor our agreed upon time.

I would have accepted a "We've moved on to another person" or "can we reschedule" but he knowingly ignored the set upon time and a reminder with no explanation and let me wait the full duration. From other reviews this isn't uncommon.

Redis Lab, please correct this behavior. Your recruiters are the first person a person speaks to when interviewing for the company and this isn't ok. Redis Lab will continuously leave a bad afterthought for me and I'll bring this up whenever talking about bad interview experiences.

Interview Questions

• Would you be available at this specific time and date, because it works for me.   1 Answer

Management Role In Information Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Redis Labs (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

I applied for the job online and received an email from a company recruiter who reached out to me. We scheduled the "screening call" interview a few days after the initial email was received.

I am sorry to say that the entire interview was a waste of time. In my current role of AVP and CISO leading a team of 6 people I often find myself and my team working with our internal recruiting department to hire new team members. Once we decide that a candidate is worth interviewing we notify the recruiting department who reaches out to the candidate for logistical purposes. We never allow the recruiting team make decisions in terms of whether the candidate is fit for the job unless there are budget issues or serious matters arise.

The interview with the Redis Lab recruiter was useless. How can someone ascertain how fit a candidate is if they have no concept of the candidate's expertise. There is no problem if a candidate is not a good fit based on a fair assessment. However, having a recruiter ask useless questions that have nothing to do with job knowledge is at the very least insulting.

You wasted not only my time but YOUR TIME as well.

Interview Questions

• The job is in Northern California however you live in Southern California so how come you want to work here? You have been working at your current job for 6 years. That is indeed a long time. ??? How many direct reports do you have. ??   1 Answer

Sep 18, 2019 – VP HR

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make the process as productive and respectful of your time as possible. While our recruiting team continues to focus on building a strong foundation of core processes and recruiting best practices, the team has a very high level of ownership and accountability at all levels, which speaks to our exponential growth in last few years. Having said that, we will take your feedback and continue to improve the process our candidates go through.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Redis Labs (Austin, TX) in May 2019.

Interview

Applied online then was contacted by a recruiter about a week later to schedule an interview. A few hours before the interview he rescheduled it for the following day but didn't send me any message or correspondence besides the updated calendar invite. Not knowing this until an hour before I reached out to him to ask if he meant to reschedule for the next day and was told the next day would work better for him. Ok thats fine.
    An hour before the interview the next day I got an email that he 'had to leave the office' right at the time our interview was scheduled for and he would like to reschedule for the next day(again).

Next day came and didn't receive the call at the scheduled time. No follow-up. No apology. Nothing.

If this company is still trying to hire a Sales Engineer I think I can tell you why.

Interview Questions

Redis Labs Response

Jul 3, 2019 – VP HR

Thank you for your review. Our recruiting team is dedicated to providing a positive candidate experience and I'm sorry that your experience did not reflect that. While the needs of the business can often require interviews to be moved, the recruiting team is making a conscious effort to keep our originally scheduled times. We apologize for the inconvenience and will use this instance as a teachable moment for us to continue to improve our interview/hiring process and candidate experience.

Corporate Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Redis Labs (Austin, TX) in April 2019.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and thought that my background would be a match for the sales team. We scheduled a call and after that was completed, I was very excited about the expected growth at Redis Labs. The thought of being a part of a brand new sales team in a new office appealed to me. I then scheduled a more formal phone interview with the recruiter. Following this, I had a phone interview with the Sales Director. These calls both went great. I was then asked to put together a short presentation that would be a part of the onsite interview. The interview and presentation went very well. It wasn't high pressure but it was a good way to showcase some of my skills. All in all, the interview process was very smooth and communication was timely. I received an offer and happily accepted!

Junior Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Redis Labs (Mountain View, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

1 phone screen with the recruiter, 1 technical challenge, and finally on-site interviews with VP of customer success, Director of sales, and Head of HR.

The interview process was very organized and transparent. I was informed by the recruiter with every step and right expectations. During on-site, employees were very friendly. No trick questions and conversations with exec flew well. Though I didn't get an offer at this time, I believe the interview experience is worthy.

Recruiter made a nice call to explain the reason for rejection. This is rare and represents the company culture well.

Interview Questions

• They ask questions based on my experience on my resume.
      Some general questions:
      1. Why do you want to work for Reids
      2. Questions about personality
      3. How to deal with nonresponsive customers   Answer Question

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Redis Labs (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Good product, BAD people.
    Interview began by internal recruiter chasing me on phone for several days while I was really busy.
    I valued and liked the SSA role when I was described and I engaged with the recruiter quite a big over the phone.
    I shared knowledge of their product and learnt about overall interview process.
    Recruiter planned next set of interviews but Nothing happened after that!
    I have 4 other formal offers and I still left them an email after 3 weeks. NO REPLY.

With such bad culture, in this market they will need a GOOD luck finding good candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself..
      How do you explain new products to a stranger..
      What do you like and dislike about Redis products...   1 Answer

Dec 13, 2018 – VP Solution Architects

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the process you experienced interviewing for the Solution Architect position. We strive to make the process as productive and respectful of your time as possible. Unfortunately that did not happen with your experience. We will take your feedback and continue to improve the process our candidates go through when considering a position with us.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Redis Labs in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process at Redis Labs was perfect. I found initial conversation from the recruiter to be relaxed and very open. We explored my background, strengths, and contstraints (travel, location, etc). A few different roles were offered to me to consider. Discussions with the hiring manager and the team lead got into software design, database concepts, and working with customers. There was also a technical assignment which required accessing some cloud instances, installing redis and redis enterprise and writing a coding solution using those resources. I ended up accepting a different role.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Redis Labs.

Interview

It was a very well run process which included multiple stakeholders across the organization. Each interviewer was engaged, prepared and respectful of my time. The process moved along quickly, there was constant feedback and expectations were consistently and accurately set.

The first phase was with the leadership of the solutions architecture organization followed by a short technical exercise and technical interview. There were no "gotcha" questions; everything was relevant to the types of questions we face daily. Next was a F2F interview, followed by meetings with leaders of other relevant departments such as Sales. Finally a meeting with the HR lead concluded the interviewing phase and an offer was extended.

The offer matched everything that was discussed and committed in the earlier phases.

Interview Questions

• A lot of focus on culture, leadership and scenarios from prior experience. Technical questions included architectural considerations and trade-off analysis. Make sure you prepare by reading the documentation online.   Answer Question