Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.3

Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii.

Interview

Submitted resume from a job search board. Telephone interview took place a few weeks after submission. Two people on the phone call, one from RCUH and another from NOAA. One of them said Silicon Valley is just throwing money around (a position I was negotiated a week before their phone call for a very high salary). They claim they are "going to give me this position" almost immediately in the group call. They mentioned NOAA employees in Hawaii really don't care. They absolutely lied about the entire job offering, claiming someone else was picked but they didn't sign the offer letter yet. This was months later. Does it really take a person several months to decide on signing the letter or declining? Would a corporation really give a potential employee a few months room to decide? Of course not - its all a large lie. In reality, corporations give a person barely a few days to decide. I received a rejection notice via email from their HR about how this position was dropped because they couldn't find anyone to fill it. Again, pure lies from RCUH and NOAA. Don't apply to this place if you live on mainland USA - they will drop your employment while your on the flight across the Pacific Ocean.

Interview Questions

• The questions were complete nonsense. They don't care there and it seems to be a place fueled by corruption (as other note)   1 Answer

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hilo, HI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (Hilo, HI) in May 2017.

Interview

Not much of an actual interview. Just have to get the okay from a staff of the University. To do this you need a relatively high GPA and a good relationship with the staff member you wish to be your mentor.

Human Resources Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI) in February 2016.

Interview

Got an email about a week after applying. Showed up, took a computer test, and proceeded to have a 20 minute interview with the president and his assistant. They seemed to have already made up their mind before the interview even began.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii.

Interview

Interviewer was nervous, didn't appear organized. Asked me a bunch of stock questions related to conservation in Hawaii, with no surprises. Only one interview was needed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate- pay is low, and set.

Research Associate Interview

Application

Interview

After applying online I was contacted a few days later for an interview. The interview went fine but their work culture didn't fit my needs for the job. The job required a ridiculous amount of hours considering the pay. It just wasn't the right fit for me personally.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI) in November 2012.

Interview

The process was over the phone and fairly friendly. The committee consisted of 5 people including the person who would be my boss. They gave time for me to ask questions about responsibilities and tasks needed to do the job.

Interview Questions

• General technical questions but in particular asking about my accomplishments and what I knew about the organiziation.   1 Answer

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI) in August 2011.

Interview

Was called in to interview with the Principal Investigator of a laboratory in the microbial oceanographic sciences, Department of Oceanography (2010). Plain-clothes interview - "we are field and laboratory scientists, don't dress up" type of thing. Was asked about cover letter and statement of intent. Was not like an ordinary interview with silly questions - it was more like "I see you have good grades and you're enthusiastic and you know spectrophotometry -- I can't help you with your research interests, but here is what my lab is doing and what I could use some help with -- sound like something you would be interested in? Can you start today?

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to funnel your enthusiasm into a slightly different topic in the basic category of research that you're interested in?   1 Answer

Benefits Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI) in May 2010.

Interview

Had a 4 panel interview for the position. Walked into the room, and no one introduced themselves or their position. During the whole one hour interview, only one person asked questions (turns out to be the HR Director). Seemed like the rest of the managers feared her and didn't want to ask any questions in front of her. Was told that once you are trained, you should take good enough notes to never ask questions again. Doesn't seem like a happy work environment.

Oceanographer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii in January 2008.

Interview

As a researcher you are interviewed by the project PI, so the interview process will vary greatly depending on the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your short and long term goals both personally and professionally.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii in January 2008.

Interview

One phone interview, with a panel of four people.
    Detailed questions about my technical abilities, as well as my past experience with working in an academic environment. However the interviewers were not software engineers so there were no technical questions.
    I was ranked second after the interviews and the reason why I was not offered the job was due to the fact that I had no previous work experience in an University environment.