Research Foundation of State University New York Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Research Foundation of State University New York Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2017

2.6

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York.

Interview

Phone interview then in-person interview. I only met with the PI and his graduate students, therefore the whole interview process was based on how he conducted it. I didn't have to deal with standard interview questions from administrators. I clicked well with the PI from the start, which made the whole process smooth.

Interview Questions

• Asked about past laboratory experiences. Really straight-forward. This will be different though depending on the PI.   Answer Question

Lab Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York.

Interview

Interviews for the position lasted over a span of three months. All candidates are not asked the same questions. You never get a full sense of what the job entailed from the interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

Met advisor who needed work I was qualified for. We met one on one and he facilitated the applicaiton process. Standard college application procedure. Additionally one needs to pass a written exam to advance to the PhD level. This is standard at graduate schools. Here the test is difficult in the sense that they cover a large breadth, but don't go very deep. Which makes studying tricky as its largely memorization, and not a great metric of what makes a good researcher in my opinion.

Clerical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York (Stony Brook, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Very Easy. I was called for an interview about a month and a half after I had initially applied. I went in for the interview and sat with the supervisors. It was a quick interview, probably about 15-20 minutes. The position was explained to me and I was asked about my past experience. Salary range was ok'ed.

Grant Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York (Stony Brook, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed by the Human resource manager and two of the senior account managers. I initially applied online at the Stony Brook website and received phone call from Stony Brook University for phone interview. After phone interview; I was called in for a person interview and was then offered the position as "Grant administrative assistant".

Interview Questions

• What where some of my strength and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Interview

Were asked to take qualifier exams. Depending on performance and research interests were asked to talk to professors. Join the research group if it is a match. This was bit of a challenge as a student was required to understand high level research, which is of course, expected out of a Ph.D.

Research Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York (Stony Brook, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was initially asked to interview for the position. I was asked questions based on my experiences and my skills. I was also asked how I would learn new skills if I were in the job position.

Interview Questions

• How much experience did I have conducting data analysis.   1 Answer

Scientific Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York (Buffalo, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone call with about 10 people. They asked basic questions more soft skill questions than technical ones. Call back after a week for a technical test. This was held with one person on the phone for any questions about the test. After the test a third in person interview was done with the whole team.

Interview Questions

• They had a modified fizz buzz question which I had not actually expected.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York (Stony Brook, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Not too challenging. I met with the Office manager and she was very friendly at the Small Business Development Center. It seems like a great place on campus for students to gain valuable office experience. Especially MBA and Business students you can get more challenging work if you prove you're capable

Interview Questions

• What is your program and how will this experience help you?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Research Foundation of State University New York (Albany, NY).

Interview

You must first apply through the SUNY website. If you meet their qualifications, you will be called for an interview. You get an answer fairly soon. There is preference for SUNY students, and students with referrals from a member of the SUNY/SUNY RF community. The staff is friendly and the interview process is relaxed and not very intimidating.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase for interns. There are two levels, graduate (get paid a little more) and undergraduate.