RetailMeNot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Returns Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Honestly the hiring process is very long with no reward. It is for their sub-company Giftcard Zen.

About a few days after I applied I received an email from their Talent Sourcer requesting an available date and time for a phone interview. On this call they asked basic questions like who I am, what I currently do, what type of person I am and so on.

The phone interview went well so then I was sent another email setting me up for a phone interview with their Operations Manager. During this call the questions went a little more in depth by inquiring how I would act in certain situations.

After this went well I was advised that I will receive 3 "mock" customer emails and to reply back as how I would if I were working for them.

They liked my responses so I was scheduled for an in person interview. This interview was scheduled with multiple people (Manager of Operations, Returns Lead,Product Support Associate , HR Coordinator and one other person but they didn't provide me their title.) and was estimated to take 2 hours.

When I met them there they had me log in on a tablet. The tablet notified the HR Coordinator which came out right away. First I was greeted by the Operations Manager (which I already had a phone interview with), Returns Lead and one other person.

During this part of the interview I honestly felt drilled. Which I wasn't expecting as I have already gone through a long interview process so far. They kept asking question after question about who I am, what I do, and how I would react in certain situations. This constant drilling went on for an hour.

After this stage I then talked with the Product Support Associate which was a lot more laid back. They asked me more personal questions to see if I would be a good fit with the companies staff.

Finally I had the HR coordinator meet with me to discuss benefits.

After this I was escorted to the elevators and two days later was not offered the job.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

Received a call from a hiring manager that was asked about my experience and made me questions about their website.
    Interviewer was aggressive; I would even say rude.
    I have done many interviews (face to face and over the phone) and this was the shortest and most harsh. In the end I felt like she called me just because she had to (maybe she needed to reach a number).
    Before almost hanging up on me, she said that they were not looking for somone with <my experience>, although by email she had said "what a great resume".
    Huh. Why calling me, then?

Interview Questions

• What do you think of our current website?   1 Answer

Senior Back-end PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

First interview covers basic SQL questions on the phone.
    Second interview consist of 2 algorithms on a whiteboard and a written SQL test. You are going to meet 5 people in 3 hours, and whiteboard practical test is the most important, it does not matter if you are doing a very good job on written SQL test.

Interview Questions

• [1,6,5,4,2] -> write an algorithm to return second larger number in the array, in this case number 5   1 Answer
    • $a = "VeryLongString"; return char that appears only once.   1 Answer
    • SQL: you have a table with customers, with gender m and f. Write a query to update m with f, f with m in a single query, without temporary tables   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Champaign, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

I talked to them during career fair and got an onsite interview. It was a white board coding challenge that implements a puzzle. It wasn't that hard and the interviewer keeps give me hint but I was a bit nervous.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

I handed in my resume at a college recruiting event. Then was invited for a phone interview a day later. The interview was on the phone but I was asked to use coderpad.io for the programming.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of single digit numbers, return the index of the first smallest prime number. Where the prime number is made by combining the numbers. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the index returned would be 3, since 107 is the first prime. And what's the complexity.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of single digit numbers, return all the index's of the first smallest prime number. Continue the search from the index found. The prime number is made by combining the numbers. Must be recursive. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the indexes returned will be 3, 5, 6. The remaining numbers 9 and 2 will not be considered.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of single digit numbers, return all the index's of the first smallest prime number. Continue the search from the index found. The prime number is made by combining the numbers. However, if there are numbers remaining, then go back a choose new indexes to make sure the array can be split into all prime numbers. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the indexes returned will be 3, 5, 7.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Most of the process was very smooth and professional. Applied on campus and had short interview the next day with an engineer. Heard back a few days later that they wanted to do an on-site interview, so arranged to go out to Austin a few weekends later. The on-site interview was a long day, with four technical interviews, an interview with the recruiter, and a HR-type interview with a senior developer in the company -- the whole thing lasted most of the morning and afternoon. I mostly enjoyed the experience, but there was absolutely no communication of any kind afterwards in the span that they had said they would get back to me.

Interview Questions

• How would you arrange packets of differing amounts of data into the smallest number of larger packets possible that were each no larger a certain maximum size?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

On campus Interview to Fly Out on Site interview. The on site interview lasts 2-3 days. The interviewing lasts a few hours and you interview with 5 different people/groups. Some of the interviews were with 2 or 3 people. After interviewing they take you out everywhere and show you around Austin. Though the interviewing was semi-difficult the experience was awesome.

Interview Questions

• Pick a card game and make all the classes required to create a simulation.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Interview

Technical Phone Screen with a Manager via browser based scratch pad. Went through 2 or 3 questions and coded them out to sufficient detail (didn't have to explicitly compile and run). Post phone screen went in for a 1/2 day tech screen with 5 people. Back to Back tech screens until the last person all on the whiteboard, very CS heavy (big-O analysis of all solutions and a lot of recursion).

Interview Questions

• They had a fair number of recursive problems as well as a Tree problem   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

Very weird process, and in the end I was sincerely glad that I did not get an offer. Would I have received one, I would have given it a whole lot of thought. I don't buy the "there are no walls in the office" thing.
    It seemed that I was interviewing to become the president of the company, and it looked like they wanted to find something wrong with me. The process took longer than long - because the time between two interviews is approximately 2 weeks. After the phone screening, I was there:
    1. to meet the human resources person -- who was very kind and the best in this process;
    2. the whole team - that lasted me approximately 4 hours;
    3. the CEO (another 2 weeks later, another hour or so);
    ...and finally --
    4. after the interview with the CEO, I received an email to see yet another person: the Vice-President of the group, who I absolutely "needed" to meet. Another appointment in the middle of the afternoon (you don't really have a choice) -- and when I got there, the Vice-President could not meet me (**yet ironically I could see her through the glass door**). She could have showed up to say "hi" and somehow explain that she was too busy. Instead, I was interviewed by her assistant, who had no idea of the design process whatsoever, went through a list of items and made the same questions that I had answered already a few times ("what's your design process?").
    I didn't feel like I was talking to a person that would work with me. I sincerely was impatient at that point -- would I really like to work with those people?... I started to ask myself. I must have unconsciously talked myself out of the job that day.

The next week the human resources person called me and was very apologetic and embarrassed to tell me "thanks, no thanks" - but I believe it was for the best. I did other interviews (that didn't last half as long) and had a better offer after that. To me, Whale Shark's process was disrespectful and could reflect its culture.
    So - if you're interviewing for this position, be aware that you have to be patient and answer the same questions a few times.

Interview Questions

• What's your design process? - be ready to answer that 3 to 4 times.   Answer Question

Finance/Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

In my opinion, I agree with the last poster on the initial process, phone screening & questions. The long start-up hours did not bother me. One question I kept receiving was “walk me through your background.” Everyone I met with in the finance & accounting team was very personable and seemed like an excellent fit.
    Except for 1 person, in my opinion, that seemed cantankerous. It was like being cross examined by an attorney. From what I hear on the inside, this person is not putting on an act during the interview.
    Based on everyone else I met & growth prospects of this company, I would say the interview was easy & I had an overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Walk me through your resume   Answer Question
    • What do you think about working long start-up hours.
      Have you ever used SAP