RetailMeNot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Urbana, IL).

Interview

I met their representatives on a on-campus career fair and submitted my resume. A few days later I got a on-campus whiteboard interview in our test center. I solved all the questions but did not move further.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of coupons and a list of products, output how much a customer can save.   Answer Question
    • The following two/three(I did three in total, but I heard someone had done four) questions added constrains based on the first one, but I don't remember what the constrains were...   Answer Question

Customer Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

First there is a short pre screening phone call, than interview where they ask generic questions about experience and knowledge of the company, followed by a short writing skills task

Interview Questions

• Do i know the brand, their competitors? How do i deal with repetitive tasks?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Because business projects often require a multidisciplinary team of employees to work together to find solutions and effect outcomes. The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together. After that, technical question is asked.

Interview Questions

• The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Overall process was as I expected and anticipated for the role. Everyone was very transparent and kept me up to date through the stages of the interview process. The panel portion of the interview process was appropriately challenging for a role at this level. It consisted of 30 minute interviews with leaders from across organizational functions. Each panel interviewer also afforded me time to ask questions. They were all very engaged and willing to provide thoughtful answers to some of my own challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to improve our mobile app experience?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RetailMeNot in September 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume online the recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to setup a phone call. She was very friendly during the interview set-up process and during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      What is your expected salary?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Highly unprofessional experience from RetailMeNot. A phone screen was set up and I agreed to the time of the screen despite being onsite with a client, I made it work. Then, I'm waiting in my car in the Austin, TX heat for the phone to ring, it doesn't. 5 minutes pass and I contact the recruiter to find out what is going on as I hadn't heard anything about a cancellation of the phone conversation. I find out 20 minutes into what should have been a 30 minute interview that the interviewer had a pressing matter to attend to and couldn't be bothered to even email the recruiter to let me know. Fine, stuff happens, but when asked when I could make another interview I set it up for a time more convenient for me.

That time comes and the 30 minute interview seems to go really well. The person who interviewed me asked some great questions and I learned a lot about the role that wasn't in the job description and asked some questions of him that I know were marked significant. After the interview I'm told they would like to set-up an in-person interview. I give the times and days I can meet for a multi-hour in-person interview and then out of the blue am told they don't want me to come in after all.

I was told by the person that interviewed me that he had hired a person I used to work with 5 years ago and it didn't take much imagination to deduce that individual to have told the interviewer not to even let me have the in-person interview, despite me being a perfect fit for RetailMeNot's needs, willing and able to provide measurable value to the company.

So, all in all, I wasted an hour of my life and an hour of pay, not counting time coordinating. RetailMeNot, you have to be asking yourselves why you think you can treat candidates like that, if you as the interviewer like what you heard from the person you're interviewing, treat that person with respect for their time, especially when you botch the initial call and don't even apologize. My résumé was available, so you know where I worked previously and you could have asked your team about me before setting up the first phone screen and it would have been better for all concerned parties.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to start?   1 Answer

RetailMeNot Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for letting us know about this. We work hard to ensure a positive candidate experience for everyone, and we are sorry to hear otherwise.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

OK, so I have some somewhat juicy dirt on this one.

I did a phone interview with RetailMeNot. The guy asked me some really basic questions, and my answers seemed to intimidate him. He thought that OWASP was a paid security audit service, displaying his ignorance of OWASP, which is actually a 501c3 dedicated to proliferating computer security knowledge, something EVERYONE in software-as-a-service testing should know about.

Ultimately, they came back and said I was over-qualified. The exact words they used were 'We wouldn't want to put an automated scripter in a manual tester role'. I actually do both manual and auto testing, but they said I was overqualified. For an $89k/yr job. I've never in my life made that much money. If I'm over-qualified, why can't I find anyone willing to pay me more to do my job?

OK, so here's where it gets juicy: A co-worker of mine, with the exact same job title as me, at my current employer, goes up for the same role at RetailMeNot. Not only do they invite him for an onsite interview, they offered him the job! Background on this guy: by most, if not all accounts, he is less skilled than me. I'm an automator and sysadmin, and he's just a manual front-end black box tester. Ultimately, he was laid off from my current employer for being under-skilled and overpaid. He re-located to the DC area, and ended up not even wanting or taking the job that RetailMeNot offered him. But we were somewhat friendly co-workers, so I was kept informed of all this.

Not to be bitter or toot my own horn, but if you could get either of us for the same money, it makes sense, both on paper and in practice, to hire me!

The other difference between him and me: I'm white, and he's Indian. I would not have thought anything of this, if I had not read this review of RetailMeNot on Glassdoor:

'Very political environment where 'diversity & inclusivity' is a major priority as employees are divided by race & genitalia, then we're told we need more of this group and less of this group. It's rather sickening. You must think and march along with the obvious political party lines (which doesn't even have anything to do with work) or you're not in the clique.'

And there are other reviews that indicate that's the way the wind blows at this company, too... Just read through all their reviews.

What's so bad for them, is that my co-worker didn't take the job, he actually took another job, and we are still on friendly terms... so if I were to sue RetailMeNot for discrimination, he would probably testify on my behalf. Maybe someone is going to have to sue, in order to convince them to address their internal biases, and change their policy to one that is legal.

Interview Questions

• How would you perform security testing?   1 Answer

RetailMeNot Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

All who apply for a role at RetailMeNot are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation... More

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

RetailMeNot employed a three phase interview process for this role, including recruiter phone screen, coffee with the hiring manager, and an onsite interview. Each step was clear and direct, with a clear description of the role and the requirements and expectations clearly stated.

The process took just over a week with an additional few days for the formal offer to be made.

After the offer was made, the background check and pre-onboarding was extensive and required significant research on my part to go back through records to support my job history. It's refreshing to see a company actually check references and job history!

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2016.

Interview

The office is very beautiful. Dream work space for people who want to work in advertising industry. The lady that was interviewing me wasn't very pleasant though. The questions she asked wasn't even professional. More like where do you like to shop and how you shop. I didn't get the job. And I don't understand how she could make a decision about my professional experience if she didn't asks enough. I think she just didn't like me.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I've been job searching for a while and RetailMeNot's interview process has been the most transparent and best interview process I've had so far. At first glance, the interview seemed daunting .... hr screening, hiring manager phone interview, case study, and a half day interview where I met with several (9 total) members of the RetailMeNot team. In hindsight it's a thorough interview to make sure you can do the job and also a great fit for the company and team. The HR recruiter was prompt with the filling me in on next steps and setting up the interview. In addition she made sure I was happy with my compensation package. Overall my interview experience was positive. I also got feedback on my assessment which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiable compensation. Benefits are top of the line and more than make up for any gap in negotiations.