RetailMeNot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

71 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Highly unprofessional experience from RetailMeNot. A phone screen was set up and I agreed to the time of the screen despite being onsite with a client, I made it work. Then, I'm waiting in my car in the Austin, TX heat for the phone to ring, it doesn't. 5 minutes pass and I contact the recruiter to find out what is going on as I hadn't heard anything about a cancellation of the phone conversation. I find out 20 minutes into what should have been a 30 minute interview that the interviewer had a pressing matter to attend to and couldn't be bothered to even email the recruiter to let me know. Fine, stuff happens, but when asked when I could make another interview I set it up for a time more convenient for me.

That time comes and the 30 minute interview seems to go really well. The person who interviewed me asked some great questions and I learned a lot about the role that wasn't in the job description and asked some questions of him that I know were marked significant. After the interview I'm told they would like to set-up an in-person interview. I give the times and days I can meet for a multi-hour in-person interview and then out of the blue am told they don't want me to come in after all.

I was told by the person that interviewed me that he had hired a person I used to work with 5 years ago and it didn't take much imagination to deduce that individual to have told the interviewer not to even let me have the in-person interview, despite me being a perfect fit for RetailMeNot's needs, willing and able to provide measurable value to the company.

So, all in all, I wasted an hour of my life and an hour of pay, not counting time coordinating. RetailMeNot, you have to be asking yourselves why you think you can treat candidates like that, if you as the interviewer like what you heard from the person you're interviewing, treat that person with respect for their time, especially when you botch the initial call and don't even apologize. My résumé was available, so you know where I worked previously and you could have asked your team about me before setting up the first phone screen and it would have been better for all concerned parties.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

OK, so I have some somewhat juicy dirt on this one.

I did a phone interview with RetailMeNot. The guy asked me some really basic questions, and my answers seemed to intimidate him. He thought that OWASP was a paid security audit service, displaying his ignorance of OWASP, which is actually a 501c3 dedicated to proliferating computer security knowledge, something EVERYONE in software-as-a-service testing should know about.

Ultimately, they came back and said I was over-qualified. The exact words they used were 'We wouldn't want to put an automated scripter in a manual tester role'. I actually do both manual and auto testing, but they said I was overqualified. For an $89k/yr job. I've never in my life made that much money. If I'm over-qualified, why can't I find anyone willing to pay me more to do my job?

OK, so here's where it gets juicy: A co-worker of mine, with the exact same job title as me, at my current employer, goes up for the same role at RetailMeNot. Not only do they invite him for an onsite interview, they offered him the job! Background on this guy: by most, if not all accounts, he is less skilled than me. I'm an automator and sysadmin, and he's just a manual front-end black box tester. Ultimately, he was laid off from my current employer for being under-skilled and overpaid. He re-located to the DC area, and ended up not even wanting or taking the job that RetailMeNot offered him. But we were somewhat friendly co-workers, so I was kept informed of all this.

Not to be bitter or toot my own horn, but if you could get either of us for the same money, it makes sense, both on paper and in practice, to hire me!

The other difference between him and me: I'm white, and he's Indian. I would not have thought anything of this, if I had not read this review of RetailMeNot on Glassdoor:

'Very political environment where 'diversity & inclusivity' is a major priority as employees are divided by race & genitalia, then we're told we need more of this group and less of this group. It's rather sickening. You must think and march along with the obvious political party lines (which doesn't even have anything to do with work) or you're not in the clique.'

And there are other reviews that indicate that's the way the wind blows at this company, too... Just read through all their reviews.

What's so bad for them, is that my co-worker didn't take the job, he actually took another job, and we are still on friendly terms... so if I were to sue RetailMeNot for discrimination, he would probably testify on my behalf. Maybe someone is going to have to sue, in order to convince them to address their internal biases, and change their policy to one that is legal.

Interview Questions

• How would you perform security testing?   1 Answer

RetailMeNot Response

Jul 25, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

All who apply for a role at RetailMeNot are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation... More

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2016.

Interview

The office is very beautiful. Dream work space for people who want to work in advertising industry. The lady that was interviewing me wasn't very pleasant though. The questions she asked wasn't even professional. More like where do you like to shop and how you shop. I didn't get the job. And I don't understand how she could make a decision about my professional experience if she didn't asks enough. I think she just didn't like me.

Returns Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Honestly the hiring process is very long with no reward. It is for their sub-company Giftcard Zen.

About a few days after I applied I received an email from their Talent Sourcer requesting an available date and time for a phone interview. On this call they asked basic questions like who I am, what I currently do, what type of person I am and so on.

The phone interview went well so then I was sent another email setting me up for a phone interview with their Operations Manager. During this call the questions went a little more in depth by inquiring how I would act in certain situations.

After this went well I was advised that I will receive 3 "mock" customer emails and to reply back as how I would if I were working for them.

They liked my responses so I was scheduled for an in person interview. This interview was scheduled with multiple people (Manager of Operations, Returns Lead,Product Support Associate , HR Coordinator and one other person but they didn't provide me their title.) and was estimated to take 2 hours.

When I met them there they had me log in on a tablet. The tablet notified the HR Coordinator which came out right away. First I was greeted by the Operations Manager (which I already had a phone interview with), Returns Lead and one other person.

During this part of the interview I honestly felt drilled. Which I wasn't expecting as I have already gone through a long interview process so far. They kept asking question after question about who I am, what I do, and how I would react in certain situations. This constant drilling went on for an hour.

After this stage I then talked with the Product Support Associate which was a lot more laid back. They asked me more personal questions to see if I would be a good fit with the companies staff.

Finally I had the HR coordinator meet with me to discuss benefits.

After this I was escorted to the elevators and two days later was not offered the job.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contact for an initial phone interview with a recruiter from RetailMeNot. That went well so I was immediately scheduled for a phone interview with a hiring manager. That went well also, so I was asked to come into the office the following week. I was living out of state, and RetailMeNot took care of all the arrangements to fly me down and have me stay in a hotel. After interviewing with members of the team, I traveled back home. The hospitality from RetailMeNot was outstanding, I felt very welcomed and everyone I interviewed with was super nice! I can see why it is a great place to work, because the people make it great!

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your priorities that are demanded from you by different members of senior management?   Answer Question

Senior Back-end PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

First interview covers basic SQL questions on the phone.
    Second interview consist of 2 algorithms on a whiteboard and a written SQL test. You are going to meet 5 people in 3 hours, and whiteboard practical test is the most important, it does not matter if you are doing a very good job on written SQL test.

Interview Questions

• [1,6,5,4,2] -> write an algorithm to return second larger number in the array, in this case number 5   1 Answer
    • $a = "VeryLongString"; return char that appears only once.   1 Answer
    • SQL: you have a table with customers, with gender m and f. Write a query to update m with f, f with m in a single query, without temporary tables   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I was recruited at a career fair and was given an interview on my college campus. I was then Invited to their Austin headquarters and had 5 interviews. The offices were so nice and I had such a great time meeting everyone. Interviewing was quite informal, we could wear

Interview Questions

• 0/1 knapsack, return pairs of all ints that add up to a given number, Scheduling given peoples' start and end free times, edit distance given a dictionary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter after the career fair. Set up my on-campus interview the next at my school. It went pretty well in my opinion. However, I never heard a single word from the recruiter since then. After a month, I emailed the recruiter and asked if there was any update from my interview. She sent me a reply a week or two after saying that I need to complete a coding challenge. I was really confused because she had told me on the day of my interview that the next step would be onsite. I lost interest immediately. The recruiting process was just too painful. To have me wait a month without any update and then told me that I have to do a coding challenge was just odd. I never received any update from my interview - whether I passed or didn't. Nothing. I was just dropped. Not a reject or offer. (But I had to choose one so I just selected no for the offer for glassdoor)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

This was for a new grad position for graduating Spring 2017.
    I talked to the RetailMeNot engineers and recruiters at my school's career fair and was scheduled later that night for an on campus interview later that week. During this first interview I worked through some problems with two of their engineers and received good feedback. I was asked to do an onsite interview and was flown into Austin for a few days. The on site was the whole day and consisted of multiple technical interviews with the engineers, one with a VP, and one with an HR rep. I was able to answer all of the interview questions without too much difficulty, and enjoyed learning about the culture at RMN. Everyone seemed to be relaxed and enjoyed where they were. We had lunch and dinner as well with the other interviewees and some full time employees. Afterwards they gave us a google cardboard and some delicious cookies as a thank you.

Unfortunately I received a call two weeks later that I would not be getting an offer.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot in September 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the career fair and got a call about two days later to come for an on-site interview. The interview itself was one-on-one; I was put in some hot, crummy room, which made me a little sick when I began to do the whiteboard coding questions.

Also, after giving the whiteboard question, I asked the interviewer for some examples. One of his examples had the wrong answer, which tripped me up because I couldn't find a pattern to construct an algorithm. As a result, it took almost the whole interview for me to come up with a solution.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of products and a list of coupons where each coupon can only be used once, compute the lowest net product price.   Answer Question
    • Why would you use a linked list over an array?   Answer Question
    • What are the time complexity differences between operations on singly linked lists and doubly linked lists?   Answer Question