RetailMeNot Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RetailMeNot Product Manager Interview Questions

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

I submitted my application and approximately (2) weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter. They scheduled a phone interview within (1) week and a follow up interview within less than (2) days. The
interview was quite conversational and felt like a great fit. Unfortunately, schedules did not align and we were unable to arrange travel to meet the team.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for RetailMeNot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Met a recruiter at the career fair in the Fall through a friend who was a previous Software Engineering intern. The recruiter contacted me in the Spring asking to interview. It was a while before we were able to set this up. The interview with the HR rep were basic questions about my background, work experience, previous projects. Then an interview with the coordinator of the PM internship program (which was very small, I think 2 total PM interns). I then had another interview with another PM, which was similar, just a different perspective. Ultimately was too late in the process, they had already hired interns.

Interview Questions

• Something about discussing trade-offs of making a decision yielding higher profit but negative from a product standpoint...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX).

Interview

RetailMeNot flew me to Austin on very short notice to interview for this internal PM opportunity. Interviewed with two directors (including the hiring manager) and four senior-level team members. Office culture was extremely relaxed, which is cool to a point, but it came off as a slightly unprofessional work environment. Travel agent refused to book me on a direct flight home because doing so would have cost $15 over the company's self-imposed limit on airfare expenses; they saved $35 by inconveniencing me with a connecting flight and a three-hour layover. Lead HR contact said they'd update me on their status by the end of the following day. That was three weeks ago, and I still haven't heard from anyone at the company.

Interview Questions

• They wanted me to share engineering solutions with them on the fly, which was unexpected since this was not an engineering position. Also asked me for high-level ideas about how they should monetize their registered-user base.   Answer Question

RetailMeNot Response

Jan 7, 2014 – Director of Talent

Thank you for candid feedback and apologize for the inconveniences that were caused by our travel restrictions. We have looked into your comments and discussed as a team what we could have done ... More

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot in March 2013.

Interview

Thought we had a good conversation, went way over the allotted time frame via phone. I asked a lot of questions and talked about my experience. I thought things went well; I have a lot of experience and expressed my interest in their company via my questions. I was told I would hear back two days later...it has now been a week...and no call

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary...basic questions about my experience and why my interest in their company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

First off, They are looking for people who are self-starters, highly entrepreneurial, have great business sense, and good in technology.

It all started by applying to the website, within 24 hours they contacted me via email and set-up a phone interview with the recruiter. It was basically going over my history. I had a good conversation with the recruiter, and they set-up a phone interview with a Product Manager at the company for a few days later.

That phone interview was basically a repeat, discussing my history and why I was interested in Product management. After that phone interview, they set-up an onsite interview (I live in Austin) for about a week later. The on-site interview was with 5 people, a developer, product manager, business dev, Director of Product and Senior Director of Product.

In all honesty, the interviews didn't seem hard. It was basically a conversation of what they did, and what I have done. I came in well prepared knowing everything about the company, it's strategy, products, and even did background research on the people who would be interviewing me. I had about two pages of questions for each person interviewing me. I was also interviewing them. :-)

I honestly enjoyed the conversations, and perhaps this was one of the reasons I didn't get hired. I was so relaxed that we had great conversations that got a bit side-tracked on technology and innovation. See my post-moratum for details on that.

I left the interviews pretty confident.

The next morning I got an email from the recruiter saying thanks for my time, but I they decided not to go with me.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, the development interview was probably the hardest because I hadn't prepared for it. I come from a deep technical background, but wasn't in that mind-set during the interview, so took me some seconds to find the answers. They were actually very basic questions, that I made harder than they really were. I got the correct answers, and in a follow-up post-moratum interview with the Developer, he said that wasn't a problem, I passed the technical interview.

There were questions on how to improve the products and coming up with new products in their market. Honestly that's not hard if you ever used their products and spent 5 min on their site. It's full of opportunities to improve. They have bought many different coupon sites, so integration and innovation has a lot of room to improve.
      Answer Question