RetailMeNot Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RetailMeNot Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at RetailMeNot

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

On campus 50 minute interview. First 15 minutes or so were talking about the company and my background. Then technical questions of increasing complexity.
Always be thinking about how to have the most efficient code. It's not worth it to waste your time with an inefficient solution. Really, if you can't get the most efficient solution you won't get the job anyway.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of digits, return the longest number (of digits) that is prime   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for RetailMeNot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Ithaca, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour interview, a few short answer questions and one coding question. The short answer questions were "what is a dictionary", and "what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" These were straight forward to answer. The coding question came in 3 parts, the first and second involving simple iterative functions, but the third was to implement it recursively. The third was easy if you were to implement it from scratch, but not easy when they instructed to change the function by adding a few lines.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, return a list of all the prime numbers formed by concatenating the integers from left to right in that list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit resume through the campus interview, answered some simple questions on the career fair and got an technical interview the day after the campus career fair. The interviews are mostly technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

I handed in my resume at a college recruiting event. Then was invited for a phone interview a day later. The interview was on the phone but I was asked to use coderpad.io for the programming.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of single digit numbers, return the index of the first smallest prime number. Where the prime number is made by combining the numbers. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the index returned would be 3, since 107 is the first prime. And what's the complexity.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of single digit numbers, return all the index's of the first smallest prime number. Continue the search from the index found. The prime number is made by combining the numbers. Must be recursive. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the indexes returned will be 3, 5, 6. The remaining numbers 9 and 2 will not be considered.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of single digit numbers, return all the index's of the first smallest prime number. Continue the search from the index found. The prime number is made by combining the numbers. However, if there are numbers remaining, then go back a choose new indexes to make sure the array can be split into all prime numbers. So for [1, 0, 7, 6, 7, 2, 9, 2], the indexes returned will be 3, 5, 7.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

My first interview was on my college campus after a career fair. Standard whiteboard interview with two interviewers in the room. Asked to solve a basic graph traversal problem disguised as a game board based on chutes and ladders.

Second round interview was at their Austin, TX office. Great experience in Austin and they bought all interviewees dinner the night before and lunch the day of the interviews. Four interviews, each with one interviewer asking various whiteboard questions. Some were very easy, but one interviewer asked a question that started easy and worked its way into being a dynamic programming question. I only had 10 minutes remaining in the interview when the DP question was presented, which I found odd and unfair.

After the four whiteboard interviews, there was a personality interview with an engineering manager that simply discussed career goals and fit with the company.

Finally, I was given a small gift box of cookies and some RetailMeNot promotional items (google cardboard and stickers) as a thank you for interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of billboards along a highway where each billboard has a visibility rating (higher visibility is better) and a location, create a function that chooses the best set of billboards to purchase along the highway given that no two selected billboards are within a certain distance (so the function takes two parameters: number of billboards to select and minimum distance between any two selected billboards)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Talked with the recruiter at my school's career fair. Had an on campus interview with them shortly after. Then I was invited to interview in Austin with couple of their engineers. The engineers took the group of interviewees out for dinner on the first day. The second day consisted or 5 interviews with a lunch break in the middle. There were 3 45 minute technical interview which tested your knowledge of data structures and algorithm. After each problem they also asked for the asymptotic complexity. The other two interview were with HR and a manager. Overall the whole interview process was enjoyable, Austin is a great place, and the interviewers were always very engaged and helpful.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Because business projects often require a multidisciplinary team of employees to work together to find solutions and effect outcomes. The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together. After that, technical question is asked.

Interview Questions

• The employer asked about the situation where a group of people is working together.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter after the career fair. Set up my on-campus interview the next at my school. It went pretty well in my opinion. However, I never heard a single word from the recruiter since then. After a month, I emailed the recruiter and asked if there was any update from my interview. She sent me a reply a week or two after saying that I need to complete a coding challenge. I was really confused because she had told me on the day of my interview that the next step would be onsite. I lost interest immediately. The recruiting process was just too painful. To have me wait a month without any update and then told me that I have to do a coding challenge was just odd. I never received any update from my interview - whether I passed or didn't. Nothing. I was just dropped. Not a reject or offer. (But I had to choose one so I just selected no for the offer for glassdoor)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

This was for a new grad position for graduating Spring 2017.
    I talked to the RetailMeNot engineers and recruiters at my school's career fair and was scheduled later that night for an on campus interview later that week. During this first interview I worked through some problems with two of their engineers and received good feedback. I was asked to do an onsite interview and was flown into Austin for a few days. The on site was the whole day and consisted of multiple technical interviews with the engineers, one with a VP, and one with an HR rep. I was able to answer all of the interview questions without too much difficulty, and enjoyed learning about the culture at RMN. Everyone seemed to be relaxed and enjoyed where they were. We had lunch and dinner as well with the other interviewees and some full time employees. Afterwards they gave us a google cardboard and some delicious cookies as a thank you.

Unfortunately I received a call two weeks later that I would not be getting an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RetailMeNot (Providence, RI) in September 2015.

Interview

This was an on-campus interview; I was interviewed by an alum of my school who worked at RetailMeNot.
    My interview experience was quite negative; at one point, I asked the interviewer to repeat himself to make sure I fully understood the question, but he seemed very put off by this.
    The recruiter for my campus was also very slow at arranging my interview (didn't take into account when I actually had class!) and then getting back to me about my interview.
    While I was invited to move onto the next round, I turned them down as I had got a better offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• I was given an array that contained many strings, and I was supposed to return the first one that appeared only once in the array. If they all appeared more than once, return -1   Answer Question