Rev.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Rev.com

2.5

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rev.com (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Had multiple 1:1 interviews. Starting with a background/personality fit, followed by multiple background and technical interviews with team leads. In total it was 5 or so interviews. They really took the time to pay attention to your background. The technical interview was challenging the questions were relevant to the work. The technical portion was challenging but not overly so.

Interview Questions

• How I would architect a particular portion of their website.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rev.com in October 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, screen with VP of Engineering, 1:1 technical interview (coding), another 1:1 technical interview (more conceptual), hackathon. Incredibly friendly the whole way through the process, got to meet many engineers and get a taste of company culture

Interview Questions

• Explain complexity of solutions, list possible edge cases   Answer Question
    • How would you implement X feature that Rev's platform has conceptually? Full-stack mentality of how back-end and front-end should work together   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rev.com (Austin, TX) in September 2018.

Interview

Still awaiting response. 2 interviews, 1 hackathon. Each interview including basic algo questions and some whiteboard questions. The interviewers were nice and friendly. They were friendly and approachable when I met them at career fair. Their office was really cool.

Captioner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rev.com in October 2015.

Interview

It was very basic. You take a skills assessment, then are provided captioning software for the last portion of your test. The problem I have is that even after performing the test to meet their style guide to the letter, it took just 4 hours before I received an albeit comically copy and paste rejection letter from them. Won't be giving my work away for free anymore after this experience. This place is a joke if you want to work as a freelancer.

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rev.com (Remote, OR) in September 2015.

Interview

No interview required, just an online test to ensure you are are a self starter and able to train yourself. You will be shown a training video on how to caption using their software, then required to caption and submit a brief review.

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rev.com (Norfolk, NE) in April 2015.

Interview

Everything is done through the internet. They have you watch a video about their process, and then they have you attempt to caption a video according to what you learned. Then they email you some feedback. That part may take two weeks. Then they have you caption another video, and they send you that feedback more quickly. Then I think there was a third video to do. If you do well on all the videos, you are approved to start at the rookie level of captioning. You go to a webpage that shows all the videos you could choose to caption. They continue grading every video you do until you graduate from rookie level.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask questions, they just grade your work of captioning a video.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rev.com (Remote, OR) in September 2015.

Interview

First you get to caption one video. Then you will see the results of that and then they will send you another. Then you see the results of that. And then if you qualify they will send you a third video.

Captioner Interview

Interview

There was no interview process. You only have to take assessments to get accepted. But I don't recommend anyone to get involved with Rev. In the beginning you're a rookie and your work is reviewed each time it's completed. However, considering all the rules you have to learn and follow, the time limits are often unrealistic- at least for the longer projects.

I admit I am a perfectionist, and made sure it was perfect before submitting it, since they warn you that they will close your account if you failed to meet the Rev target scores. So, some of my work ended up late since they only give you a couple of hours. Even though my scores were well above their target scores after only like 2-3 weeks of working for them, they sent me an email stating that my account was closed because of my late work. I understand submitting your work on time is important. But I've only been working there for a couple of weeks, and there is so much to learn before you are able to submit your work at the unrealistic time limits they set. And it's not like I purposely took my time. My eyes would even get sore from staring at the screen for hours. And don't expect a warning either. You wont be able to login to at least look at your payments or any pending payments. So, they may easily not pay me for the last jobs I submitted.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the same person that reviews your work or not, but much of the feedback I received was contradictory. One thing would be fine for one caption, and all of a sudden it would not be for another caption. And they wont change your score even if you're right.

Overall, it's too much work for such little pay. And believe me, they expect a ton from you for only pocket change in return. I was hoping to make some supplementary income with this, but the hours I spent were totally not worth it.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview process. You only have to take assessments to get accepted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Rev.com (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

In the application, I was asked to write about my hometown followed by test captioning an initial short video. Videos & reading materials are provided before you test caption a video. After that was reviewed I was asked to caption two more videos that were a little bit longer in length. It takes some time to do this, but the process makes sense to me.

Captioner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rev.com in February 2016.

Interview

No interview, just a grammar test then caption a total of three videos. I probably spent 6-8 hours studying the materials and captioning the videos and received positive emails from "Scott" after the first two. No less that 10 minutes after submitting the last and longest video, I received a boilerplate rejection email basically saying I didn't meet their rigorous standards and to please not contact them to find out why. They should be able to make that determination a little sooner in the process. Based on their guidelines and "feedback", I think I did a great job on all the videos, and this was definitely a waste of my time!

Interview Questions

• They really didn't ask for anything other than a written anecdote from my childhood and the grammar test.   Answer Question