Reynolds American Territory Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2017

3.1

119 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Extensive interview process, started with a pre screen phone interview with recruiter, then DOTT (Day on the trade) This is where you go out with a current TM and DM and see what the job entails. Be sure to stay engaged and ask plenty of questions! They want to know that you are truly interested in the position. Also, be sure to emphasize (when they ask) your willingness and ability to relocate. (Major quality they are looking for) DO NOT THINK YOU ARE TRYING TO SHOWCASE YOUR SALES SKILLS. The DOTT is meant to provide you with an in depth look at the job.

If you make it past the DOTT, they will schedule you for a panel interview in the city nearest you. They will fly you out and pay for your airfare and hotel. This is a suit and tie interview at this stage, so make sure you look your absolute best. Most likely you will run into a few other people interviewing for the same position. THEY ARE NOT YOUR COMPETITION. Engage them, and talk.

Make sure you do your homework in prep for this interview, including but not limited to, company history, behavioral interviews, the 5 p's, and the tobacco industry in general. Answer all questions in STAR format, and most importantly, just be yourself. If you try and fake it, they will spot it. This is a behavioral interview, so prepare for that.

You will interview will a total of 4 high level executives, 2 in each room, and they will split the leadership dimensions and go into each one of those.

After the panel you should hear from the recruiter within 48 hours. If you get a call it means you got an offer, and if not, you'll most likely get a thanks but no thanks email.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why RJ Reynolds? Tell us about yourself/ Name a time you broke company policy/ name a time you failed, tell us about a time you improved a work process   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Reynolds American

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

It was quite extensive: initial app, math test, phone interview, webcam interview, panel interview. Its a long process and then they select the candidates for the most suitable location. Just be sure to prepare and stick to the STAR formation responses.

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

Hiring and interview process is simple. They give a lot of information about the career. Situational questions were asked. Just be yourself and everything else will follow through. I can't wait to get to the panel interview phase. This will be a great opportunity.

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

About a half hour phone interview. Process was pretty straight forward, some specific questions mainly behavioral and about past experience. They want to make sure you're okay relocating. They focus on STAR, situation tasks action and response so keep that in mind when you're answering specific questions about you dealt with a professional situation.

Interview Questions

• Describe a professional disappointment and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Columbia, SC) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a call the next day to set up an interview from a HR Recruiter. Very simple questions asked at this stage. They are just trying to gage if you are a good fit for the position.

Next was the Day on the Trade ( DOTT ). This process is basically shadowing the TM along with their boss ( DM ) so you can see and learn the ropes and basically get a good idea of what the job entails. At this stage they are trying to see if you are actually interested in the position. Ask lots of questions, engage in conversation with the TM and DM but more importantly just be yourself ! Do not just stand there and watch. Make sure you ask them about the 5 P's ( Some TM and DM only know them as the 4 P's because one has been taken away....that one is Personal Selling ). Knowing the P's will be very useful in the next round of the process. The TM and DM will be writing notes about how they think you will ( or will not ) be a good fit for the company. Thus, they will either recommend or not recommend you onto the next round.

The panel interview is very exciting. They will fly you out to a close location. Mine was Columbia, SC. The company is not trying to waste your time. they wipe away 95% of the candidates before the panel interview. A week before my trip I had a coaching call with my HR recruiter. This is a good opportunity to ask questions and understand the process. I would practice ahead of time before the coaching call so he can answer questions you may have. I asked him questions about my answers and if he thought they were appropriate or needed some changing. Make sure you know the STAR format. If you do not answer the questions to there liking in that format they will ask " And the result was___________" I had one panel interview ask me that and I then repeated the result of my answer. Other folks I was with interviewing told me the same thing but they had it happen to them multiple times. The panel folks keep it very conversational and relaxed. They do smoke and chew tobacco in the room so be prepared for that. They offer water. There will be 2 panel interviews at 35 minutes length. Depending on how fast you answer questions there could be 12 or there could be 20. They will ask you to ask them any questions. make sure you do. It keeps the conversation going and shows you are interested.

The next day ( mine was in the morning ) the recruiter will call you with a congrats and offer you some locations to take. I am still in the process of trying to pick one and figure out moving logistics. I am accepting the position but I am trying to pick my location. I will be going through a background check and the moving is paid for. I have also been told that I will be getting a company car. Not every TM gets a company car from my understanding and that it depends on your territory. In addition, I was told if you did not get an offer you will receive an email.

Interview Questions

• How did you prepare for this interview ?

If you could change the 5 day work week, how would you?

- Now sell me the 5 day work week

Name a time you caught a co-worker breaking company policy?

Why do you want to work in the tobacco industry?

What is your favorite thing about tobacco?

What do you know about Reynolds tobacco?

Name a time you had to organize your schedule for work?

Are you mobile ?

How do you build relationships with managers, co-workers and clients?

Name a time you had to overcome a disagreement with a co-worker ? How did you handle it and what was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Depending on your recruiter you can talk about location changes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

30 min phone interview. Then day on the trade with two reps. Great experience to get to see job. Then two 30 min panel interviews. These are pretty tough. Still waiting on an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Started with phone interview to DOTT or day on the trade with a TM and DM then panel interview. The whole process took about a month and thankfully I have been with good people the whole time. I feel like when your applying it really depends on where you are when looking at how smooth the process goes

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

There is an initial phone screening, then your next step in the hiring process is a Day On The Trade. This is day where you shadow a current territory whom is accompanied by their supervisor. The process is not very productive because instead of them teaching you, the territory manager is more interested in impressing their boss. Good theory bad execution.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were faced with conflict and how did you overcome the problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied and received an email to set up a phone interview the next day. I did my phone interview and the interviewer just didn't seem interested. Next day, I received an email saying they were moving forward with other candidates.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Multi-step process including phone interview, pre-recorded webcam questions, field ride-along, and two-part panel interview. Ongoing communication with recruiter. Be aware that relocation is highly likely/expected for employment--you are interviewing for a position, not a location.

Interview Questions

• STAR-type questions. Also questions regarding leadership experience and career outlook/goals.   Answer Question