Reynolds American Territory Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Territory Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morgan Hill, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Morgan Hill, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Today I was given a video profile interview on their website link. A series of eight questions which allowed me to convey my qualifications and skills in a new light.
It was quite an experience in the sense it reveals ones body language and communicative skills and how first impressions can mean whether you get hired or not.

Interview Questions

• Have i ever been in an ethical(moral) situation and i handled it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Reynolds American

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

Wonderful interview process. The video interior is differnt you are selling yourself. The day on the trade gives you up and close experience on what managers do. The panel is a panel just be ready.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Denver, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview
    Webcam Interview
    Day On The Trade
    Panel Interview

Apparently, experience with their brand means nothing as I have marketed their product for about a year, doing Camel, Paul Mall, Newport, Grizzly, Snus, VUSE as well as Natural American Spirit for one of their 3rd party Advertising Agencies.

For this reason, I have absolutely no idea what they are looking for in terms of a Territory Manager, the recruiters inside information helps minimally and it's retarded how if you don't get an offer how they can't tell you what exactly you did wrong, so you are better prepared in the future.

They fly you out and pay for your hotel for a panel interview, spending around a thousand dollars per candidate and hire very few of them, which is laughable.

All I can say is that if you get to the panel interview, sure you went far, however, essentially, your no better than when you did a phone interview because the only thing you got was them paying for your hotel and flight.

I thought I "prepared for this interview" quite well, I brought statistics to the table in terms of national cigarette sales, informed them how I could change the market to benefit them and received a rejection letter 48 hours later.

Interview Questions

• What major problem have you encountered and how did you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you were on a team and one of the members wasn't doing his or her share.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you experienced a significant change that you did not initiate. How did you react?   Answer Question
    • Please give me an example of a time when you took the initiative to improve a specific work process.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when you surpassed a customers expectations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Tampa, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview
    Webcam interview
    Day on the trade
    Another phone interview
    Panel interview

Listen to the recruiter and get as much advice as possible from the rep you ride with on your day on the trade. They'll tell you exactly what to expect. Panel interview was the hardest part (obviously) but as long as you're prepared you'll be okay. They flew me from Phoenix to Tampa and I was freaking out the whole time. Looking back, I wish I was more calm beforehand because it wasn't as terrible or difficult as I thought it would be. However, do not read that and think you can just breeze by. You do really need to prepare.

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

The process toke almost 2 month . I pass it all the 3 steps. The panel interview was interesting ., having conversations with them. They asked me if I am interested to relocate.
    But no offer. Shocking. With all the experience I have in the tobacco field. I don't know what are they looking for??

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American (Tampa, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process had a total of 5 different steps. The first is being interviewed over the phone by a recruiter. The second is an assessment video in which you answer several questions while recording your answers. The third is actually doing a ride along with a Territory Manager closest to your home. They call this the Day On The Trade. Or, DOTT for short. The fourth is being contacted by the Market Manager and answering a few of their questions while they get a better feel to how you'd be as a candidate. The final step is a panel interview. My panel interview took me out to Tampa Florida, a four hour flight from Phoenix, AZ. They put you up in a hotel and allow you to expense a few meals. The day of the interview I was there with one other candidate. We were each put in a separate room and interviewed before 2 hiring managers. After being a room with them for 35 minutes, you swap rooms and interview with the remaining 2 hiring managers (yes, 4 hiring managers in total). The questions aren't too nerve racking and they basically gauge your demeanor and will write your answers down on the sheet of paper that has all the questions that they use as a guideline.

Interview Questions

• Initially they will ask you about your DOTT. They follow along the typical interviewer path and make certain attempts to sway your answers. What are you passionate about? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer? Tell me about a mentor you had growing up that helped you to become successful in life? Change in work policy and how you reacted? They also wanna know what you know about the company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Reynolds American (New Orleans, LA) in August 2015.

Interview

*The definitive Territory Manager panel interview guide (final step)*
    I didn't get the job - but I'm not bitter. I'm here to help you get it!
    about 95% of people are cut prior to the final panel interview, so if you make it that far,
    that's where the end of the road is. Don't make the mistakes I did- mainly, listening to the recruiters.

Applied online, completed questionnaire, phone interview, webcam interview (5 questions),
    Day on The Trade (Ride along with current TM III & a District Manager.)
    If you do well on all of these, they will contact you to setup a panel interview.

They will fly you to a panel interview. The week or so before your trip, you will have a coaching call with a recruiter. About 1/2 of the things the recruiter told me to do were a complete waste of time. For example - He said to prepare 6 resumes to provide @ the panel interview. This was unnecessary, they all already had my resume. He said to come up with 6 industry/market-related, thought provoking questions (not questions about the position, the company culture, or anything related to the job - Even the questions you find online that say "Ask These To Wow An Interviewer!!!"). I asked an Industry-related question @ the end of the interview & they looked @ me like I was out of my mind. The recruiter can definitely give you SOME tips - I'm just saying, they really have no idea how the panel interviews go... you know why??? They've NEVER BEEN TO ONE @ RJ REYNOLDS.

They will pay for your flight & hotel. They host panels in major cities every week. This is a super-easy job...There's just alot of responsibility that goes with the position, like 1) getting up & going to work everyday even though no one is making you; 2) maintaining a company vehicle & credit card; & 3) actually doing what you're supposed to be doing. So they have to make sure you are someone they can trust. At my panel interview, there were even 2 ex-NFL players interviewing. Everyone wants this job because it starts @ approx. $44,600 @ entry level. There are ALOT of people trying to get these jobs.

When you get to the city, you won't do anything the first day. Your interview will be in the morning on day 2. You & another candidate will meet a host, probably in the lobby of the hotel you are staying in, & the host will take you to a conference room in the hotel. The host will explain that there are 2 rooms, with 2 RJ employees in each room to interview you. Each candidate will visit one of the rooms for approx. 45 min, & then switch.

Room #1 focuses on 3 of the leadership dimensions - Strategy development, driving execution, & leading change. Now all of the panels are different, but my room #1 did not give any chance to introduce myself. They didnt start with the standard, "Tell me about yourself." They went straight into the behavioral questions. Things that don't even apply to this job. This room will call you out if something you say is contradictory, or if they disagree with you. At the end they may basically act like "Ok it's time for you to get up & go to the other room." You will have to speak up and provide a closing about why you want to work there, why you want to be a part of transforming tobacco, etc etc.
    They never really MAKE you get up & go, so you can keep talking as much as you want.

Room # 2 focuses on the other 3 dimensions - credibility, trust, talent development.These questions are somewhat easier, just based on the sheer nature of the topics. Obviously they want specifics answered in the STAR format (Situation, Target, Action, Result.)

After you finish both rooms, you will meet back with the host, who will tell you that they will contact you within 48 hours to make an offer (phone call from recruiter) or give you the ol' "best of luck in your future endeavors" (email).

If you have no experience in tobacco, be ready to explain why you are "all of a sudden" passionate about working in the tobacco industry, & why you just recently developed that passion.

They want someone who they can trust to stay in the position for 4-6 years. Someone that they are sure will get up & go manage the stores in the territory every day. They didn't ask me or the candidate I was with any questions about mobility, family, to sell a pen, nothing like that...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time when you coached a teammate to achieve a specific goal. How did your actions help them realize this goal.
      Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker. How did you turn it into a positive end result?
      Tell me about a time you witnessed a co-worker breaking company policy.
      ***MOST IMPORTANT*** - WHY RJ REYNOLDS.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview process is quite simple - once you've applied;
    1. Recruiter calls you and sets appointment for phone screen
    2. Phone screen occurs (STARS format)
    3. If you pass #2, a Day in the trade is set up with a seasoned TM/DM - you will meet up this will be an interactive process (My day in the trade was awesome, almost 6 hours) be yourself.
    4. If you pass #3 - the recruiter will set up a panel interview in a city closest to you.
    5. Panels are split in twos, and are by leadership dimensions - if you've made it this far the recruiter will help prepare you, come prepared with examples, data, be yourself, be polished.
    6. If you've made through #5 (an email says sorry, no offer/ a phone call is yes you made it!)
    7. A lengthy background check will occur, be on top of this - it may get stalled from the background check people, I had to call them and fax information for a job I had a few years back - it is through.
    8. If you've made it to #7 a job offer will be made with start date - and BAM your in!

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Reynolds American in July 2015.

Interview

It's basic interview questions. However they did ask illegal questions which I was unprepared for. Knowing about their products is especially helpful but not required as they educate you on you day on the trade.
    It was an interesting experience, but they really do desire fresh out of college males (I've been a store manager for many years and can safely say that as their preferred applicants).

Have many examples of when you showed leadership and brought about change in your current and past employment.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time how you gained respect of your employees or customers?

I was also asked when I was getting married. When I was having children. If my fiancé would relocate with me. If I smoked or used tobacco (should have asked if I had any aversion to pushing tobacco products).
      Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Reynolds American.

Interview

1.phone interview
    2.online assessment and video interview
    3.day on trade ride along
    4.panel interview

Recruiters want you to get the job and so do the interviewers.

Good interview the individuals were nice.

Interview Questions

• Have you seen someone break company policy what did you do?   2 Answers