Rice University Interview Questions in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Rice University Interview Questions in Houston, TX

2.9

Office Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX).

Interview

Long interview process. First I had a phone interview, then took a skills test in person, then a panel interview which lasted about 2-3 hours total meeting back to back with different groups. They are also very strict about getting all 3 full references so that adds to the time the process takes. Overall now that I've been working there, I'm surprised they went through all this for the position I'm in. It's a very simple repetitive position that they could really hire a high school student for. I feel like I could do the job with my eyes closed. Not the job for someone with a degree and several years experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly asked general questions about me personally and why I was interested in working there. Also some basic questions about what I did at previous jobs. Despite the long process the interview, the questions aren't structured at all.   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX).

Interview

To get the job at Rice university I went through a staffing agency. The recruiter from the staffing agency called me and had advised me that my skill set matched the qualifications for the job at Rice University.

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

This is your chance to show how much you know about this school, and how well you fit. A detailed and thoughtful response demonstrates you cared enough to research the department of your choice in advance. If you’re super stoked on the school, by all means, express it, but stop short of sucking up. And if you’re not that stoked on the school, but it’s your only option for financial or convenience reasons, you better think of a reason to get excited about it – fast.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted via phone where management described the position and responsibilities of the marketing intern and if I was interested. A couple of weeks later, I came into the office and for a face to face interview. The atmosphere was conversational, very comfortable. We went over my resume and what I was looking for and I was asked basic behavioral interview questions. Not intimidating at all.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Intensive interview process that included four rounds over a period of 4 weeks:
    (1) Initial Phone Screening
    (2) Casual Meeting with Team Members
    (3) Formal In-person Panel Interview (lasting 3 hours, met with a total of 9 people)
    (4) Phone Interview with Executive Member

This was one of the most intensive interviews of my life. It seemed that I was interviewing for a C-level position (I was not). I was disappointed not to receive an offer, as I was under the impression that I was the first choice. The position was offered to someone whose education was slightly more in line with the role. I would have preferred to spend a little less time in the interview process, but I also learned quite a bit during each round.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred management style?   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Brief telephonic interview followed by on-site presentation in front of the department faculty. This was followed by one on one interview with mentor/supervisor. General questions as to research interests, teaching plans, etc

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

behavioral and lasted a few hours with lunch. you then met with several groups of people and then did lunch with the main team after doing a short presentation. Be prepared to met a lot of people and prepare a short presentation a head of time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not much flexibility with salary.

Department Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I received a call from the departments HR, did a phone interview, did an assessment (proofreading, excel, mail merge), interview with group staff, then interviewed with the executive director.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Why Rice?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Met with grad student heading project. She asked about my past experience in research and was extremely friendly. She asked about my aspirations and how this position could help me attain that.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX).

Interview

I submitted an application and then went in for a single interview. I interviewed with the entire administrative staff first (roughly 12 people) and then with the directors. I then received a call about a week later and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Every question was a standard interview question, i.e. "how do you handle stress?".   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate a salary. Being a non-profit, they were limited in their budget. (I probably could have negotiated a little bit.)