Rio Tinto Alcan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rio Tinto Alcan Interview Questions

Continuous Improvement Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robards, KY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan (Robards, KY) in February 2012.

Interview

First interview is on-site. With mid level managers. Typical behavior based questions. Easy interview. Second interview is on-site with members of plant leadership team. They asked stupid questions in terms of "what if". They looked for problem solving capabilities but I think got stuck on too many details on there end. HR manager was asked what she liked about the company and said benefits - if that is one of the only things you can mention and you can not mention the people as the HR manager, you got problems. Seemed to me the plant manager ruled by fear and read into this as a guy who was the maintenance manager did not have any formal education - came from the floor. Plant manager also mentioned the culture was to micro manage the complainers and treat the top performers well. Seems like you got a lot of complainers that need to be let go, but you are too afraid to do that. I didn't think it was good fit for my personal work style.

Interview Questions

I would never work for a stuck up plant manager - regardless of the attractive pay. If they treat someone like me the way they did during an interview, I'd hate to see how they treat their employees.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sebree, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan (Sebree, KY) in June 2011.

Interview

Very open. Team based

Negotiation

Open, direct, concise

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saguenay, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan (Saguenay, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Start with a phone interview for screening. 2 months after, they proceed with a face-to-face interview in Saguenay (2 days) where writing and grammar tests, in French and English, were requested. Based on test and interviews, a decision was given after 3 weeks. Whole process took 4 months due to special circumstances.

Interview Questions

• How are you comfortable with Excel Macros? Do you know you to program VBA in Excel?   Answer Question
    • How would you respond to peers that do not agree with you and therefore will not be able to achieve consensus ?   Answer Question

Scholarship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan (Edmonton, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Phone interview, very brief

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose *** University to do Mechanical Engineering? What sort of scholarships have you held before?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan.

Interview

Phone interview x 2
    Site Visit

Interview Questions

• Place emphasis on why you want to live remotely and in Gove specifically.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan.

Interview

After receiving an email to complete 5 online exams which took 2 and a half hours, I was also required to do an online video interview which was quite weird. A month went by after the online interview and I hadn't heard from anyone so I emailed the HR person I was dealing with and he could barely write back a coherent sentence saying that if I'm needed I will be called.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in April 2012.

Interview

One interview with manager and director of the department. Standard questions, nothing really out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• No question was difficult or unexpected. Standard interview process.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto Alcan (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in December 2010.

Interview

1 hr person and the future boss. Very polite and professional.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was fair, but took a while. Had to get a security check done first plus a physical exam.