Rio Tinto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rio Tinto Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.7

Change Management Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was poorly organized with no follow-up. Interview was a phone-screen with 2 people. No feedback was given once the interview was completed. Very few questions were asked regarding overall experience and how it would contribute to making the candidate successful for the job itself.

Graduate Mining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boron, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Boron, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with a team of employees for the Boron mine in CA. Got asked to come for an on-site interview which took about 8 hours. Had a complete tour of the mine, sat in on meetings, spoke with individual members of the team. Very educational interview, but very draining.

Interview Questions

• Usual interview questions with human resources. Seemed like the rest of the day spending time with several employees was a personality read and to see if I was a good fit with the current employees.   Answer Question

New Graduates - Contracts Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

Online test followed by video interview and more online tests. The tests assess your management skills/personality as well as your ability to read and do basic algebraic math. Also appeared to be testing for IQ. The video interview was very basic run of the mill questions. Overall the process went fairly quickly for me.

Mining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2014.

Interview

Apply online and phone interview after 2 days

Interview Questions

• She ask about my background experiences and why they should give me this position   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed by a group of 4 people that included the head of the department, the individual I would be working for, and 2 who would be co-workers. The reason for the large group was that the head of the department and the 2 co-workers were from outside of my country of residence. The interview was somewhat spontaneous as they were looking at the possibility of expanding their groups services to my country of residence and had heard of my experience as a consultant in that field. They asked a series of questions about my experience and flexibility of working with another software than the one I was familiar with. I believe that everyone involved had a lot of fun as the whole process was more exploratory than inquiry. In the end they decided not to expand their group for reasons that were unrelated to me. On the positive I was able to continue to do additional projects later on as a consultant.

Interview Questions

• Explain your experience with one of the past projects you did for us as a consultant.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2010.

Interview

Had an initial interview at my college.. After 2-3 weeks got a call for onsite interview. Interview was of panel type with 4/5 members.. Basic HR questions followed by tour of company.. took nearly a month for the decision.. i have no idea why they didn't offer..

Interview Questions

• Describe your personality.. What are the safety measurements you undertake while working in a lab..   Answer Question

Principal Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in February 2017.

Interview

Face to Face and Telephone. Some panel members were in Perth and others in another location. Asked a series of questions that had been identified before. There was motivational questions, technical questions, one on safety and some on how I do work. HR organised the interview, but they were not present on the day.

Interview Questions

• Question on safety, how I manage safety of myself and others.   Answer Question

Mine Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in December 2016.

Interview

So strategic, two guys one who sits and listens doesnt say a word (the chief boss) and the one who asks all the questions (the bosses assistant). Rio is such a big corporation they are programmed to ask systematic questions. Learn the job outline and the details and compare it to your current skills. Write up key concepts that relate from what your currently doing to what you will do for rio.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How do you turn a bad situation into a positive situation by giving your input amongst team members?   1 Answer
    • how do you apply safety into your design?   1 Answer

Principal Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2016.

Interview

Took almost 3 weeks to get a call for an interview.
    Interviewer was unprepared, made small talk, very nice and easy going interview, talked about my job experiences and how I dealt with problems. The universal question of where I see myself in 2-5 years. How do I deal with people when there is a problem, how to distinguish between personal and professional, provide examples etc.,

Overall the experience was very good and improved my interview skills, did not get the job in the end but made great impressions to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail a situation that required me to make a decision to overcome a problem, what was the outcome and how did I manage its sustainability.   Answer Question

Marketing Officer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I applied through rio tinto career page and was called up for an interview within a week of my application. Met up with 2 interviewers and i thought the interview went in my favor as they asked if i can start immediately.A few days after my interview, i realised that the job was reposted with a new job criteria - the ability to communicate in mongolian. So i knew my chance was gone but i think they should have specify in the first place that they are looking for someone who knew mongolian and not waste our time of going for the interview.