Rio Tinto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rio Tinto Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2017

Senior Mine Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

They had an HR person follow me around all day and not say a word, but just watch me and how I interacted with their employees at the site where I was interviewing.

Business Improvement Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

It takes couple weeks to appoint an interview after my resume submitted on a career fair. Mostly the questions I got asked were about BA project design and previous industrial experience in data analytics. Overall, they will focus on not only your hands-on experience, but your ability to get prepared for new business challenges in mining domain.

Interview Questions

• How would you design and organize an business analytics needs from functional teams   Answer Question

Warehouse Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boron, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Boron, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Recruitment department has been outsourced and was not very well done. Was able to do the interview over the phone as the location is somewhat remote. Was a group panel with fairly standard questions. Company is very safety focused due to being in the mining industry. Anyone interviewing should be prepared to make safety your number one focus, and to live by it, you won't be able to fake it.

Interview Questions

• How do you promote safety in the workplace and ensure that safety is the number one priority.   Answer Question

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boron, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Boron, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Had phone interview, then Got scheduled for tour and face to face interview. Over all good process. Seems to be a great company to work for look forward to advancing my career

Change Management Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was poorly organized with no follow-up. Interview was a phone-screen with 2 people. No feedback was given once the interview was completed. Very few questions were asked regarding overall experience and how it would contribute to making the candidate successful for the job itself.

Graduate Mining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boron, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Boron, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with a team of employees for the Boron mine in CA. Got asked to come for an on-site interview which took about 8 hours. Had a complete tour of the mine, sat in on meetings, spoke with individual members of the team. Very educational interview, but very draining.

Interview Questions

• Usual interview questions with human resources. Seemed like the rest of the day spending time with several employees was a personality read and to see if I was a good fit with the current employees.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I was presented by an outside recruiter. The interview was a 6 person panel. All the panel members were pleasant and professional. The process took about 4 weeks before an offer was made. The background check and physical were extensive. The physical took about 2 hours and was a bit excessive for an office position.

Interview Questions

• Trying to understand some of the technical mining jargon that was used in some of the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy negotiations.

Presenter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2014.

Interview

Very casual and conversational. But it was an hour of intense questions. She asked deep, thoughtful provoking questions and asked me to share specific scenarios with her. I met with 2 people together. One on the phone and one in the room.

The process for interviewing and hiring is changing.They are pushing away from HR doing the interviews and now leaders are expected to do their own reviews as part of the new self-service model. So you may get someone who is a new leader and doesn't know how to interview OR you could get a seasoned veteran that knows what they are looking for may get the right applicant because that leader knows the in depth questions to ask.

Interview Questions

• When people are losing their jobs, how will you face these tough subjects with them?   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (South Jordan, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

Pretty weak interview skills from manager, who seemed to be very unprepared. Asked me lots of yes and no questions which were difficult to elaborate on. Told me right off the bat that they liked my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• When didn't you wear your seatbelt   1 Answer

New Graduates - Contracts Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

Online test followed by video interview and more online tests. The tests assess your management skills/personality as well as your ability to read and do basic algebraic math. Also appeared to be testing for IQ. The video interview was very basic run of the mill questions. Overall the process went fairly quickly for me.