Riot Games Game Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Riot Games Game Designer Interview Questions

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

Applied online for a game designer position. They don't specify the specific type or role of game designer (very odd). The posting specifically mentions that "deep knowledge of league of legends isn't required".

After passing the resume screen, I was given a design test. The test included very specific questions about league of legends characters. I researched these characters and completed the questions. In order to get the test I had to sign a disclaimer giving them permission to use my design test ideas in anything they make. About a week later I heard back that they liked my design test and wanted to interview me.

The interview was with a recruiter, but it was via speakerphone. Other people were in the room, just listening (also strange). Immediately after the interview started I was asked to provide example hero abilities for their existing characters. I mentioned that the job posting specifically said that deep LoL knowledge was not necessary.

The recruiter then seemed very flustered. He then proceeds to continue to ask me to provide ideas for new hero abilities in their game.

Overall I didn't feel respected. I wasted an entire week on their design test despite that they were looking for specific knowledge not represented on the job posting. I also suspect that they are using applicants to source creative ideas for their game regardless of any intention to hire them.

Interview Questions

• Rattle off some new hero abilities for League of Legends characters.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Riot Games

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Riot takes a very comprehensive approach to employee interviewing. As a design applicant, I was put through multiple design tests, an IQ and personality evaluation, and then two phone screens before being invited for an on-site interview. Initial tests and communications were handled by the hiring coordinator, though my applications had been read by senior personnel within the design department.

The on-site interview was entirely paid for by Riot (plane, taxi, parking, and hotel), and I was set up at a very comfortable hotel for the three days I was in Santa Monica (arrival day, interview day, and departure day). The on-site interview occurred on the second day, starting from 10 AM to 5 PM, where I participated in roughly seven one-hour interviews with various design and production personnel of varying positions. Each interview was geared towards evaluating me in separate areas, including general knowledge, design knowledge, culture fit, personability, and work ethic. By the end of the day, I believe the interviewers had a good understanding of who I was and what I could do.

It's worth noting that (to my knowledge), all significant hires will speak to senior personnel at some point in their interview. The design director took me and several other designers out to dinner that day, and a week later, I spoke on the phone with the CEO and President of the company (both were out of the country during my on-site interview; otherwise, they would've interviewed me on-site). This is a fairly unique privilege given how busy large game developers can be, but it shows how relatively "flat" the organization is when the highest ranking personnel take the time to close the deal on all their new hires.

Interview Questions

• Be well-versed in gaming culture and be prepared to analyze game mechanics from other games!   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an offer roughly two weeks after the conclusion of my on-site interview.