Riot Games Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Riot Games Intern Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2017

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

It was a Skype Interview. I was asked to introduce myself at first. Then the interviewer asked few questions regarding my resume. He also asked few questions regarding my skills.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to promote players to participate in a survey?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Riot Games

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

went to the school career fair. got contacted for a phone interview. soon had the interview. didnt get to move forward with the application process. the interviewer was nice. it was hard to know what the interviewer wanted from me, because the interview was purely behavioral.

Interview Questions

• it was purely behavioral. asked about my projects, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied via career fair. Got a code challenge about a week later. Got a 100% on the challenge and then got an email from a Riot recruiter saying that if a team showed interest in me then we'd move forward. But then I got an email two weeks later saying they had moved on to other candidates.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

The overall structure of the interview process was fairly simple in that it consisted of three phone interviews (one with an HR representative and two with different people on the team that I was applying for) and one superday (five onsite interviews, including one lunch interview).

Content-wise, the first phone call was very much focused upon culture-fit. This included basic motivations for applying for the position, my closeness with League of Legends as a long-time consumer, and how I felt I could contribute to the team in a broader sense. The interviewer was really friendly and relaxed, and I even got to chat with him about my other gaming interests such as CS:GO and Super Smash Bros.

The next two phone calls were very similar to each other in that the interviewers asked me, in addition to the previously mentioned culture-fit questions, to solve fun, League-based math problems and more difficult technical questions about their field in particular. These technical questions revolved around specific, possible improvements and feedback to the currently existing system. Basically, it seemed as though they were trying to get a feel on how I approached problems and my rationalizations behind making certain steps.

After receiving the notification that I had moved on to the onsite stage of the interview process, I immediately accepted, and Riot flew me out and put me up in a very nice hotel on their dime. Not only did I get to have an informal tour of their offices, but I also got to play in their onsite PC Bang with other Rioters. The interviews were pretty informal and relaxed, and they mostly consisted of specific questions regarding my previous experience and qualifications. While somewhat daunting at first, the interviews ended up having a lot of fun side-conversations about various interests, which calmed me as the day went on. The interviewers also took the chance to explain their own experiences at the company and what the average Rioter's day was like. Overall, it feels as though culture-fit is priority over most other things at Riot, and I tend to agree because passion is what is needed to go beyond the baseline of experience and skills.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring that none of the other applicants to this position can potentially bring?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Riot Games.

Interview

First round was fit with a couple math questions, pretty simple if you are passionate about the game. Second round is much more technical, drilling you to see what new ideas you can bring to the company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Know your application and be able to defend it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

(More specifically, I applied for the Intern position in the Community department.)

The two phone calls leading up to the in-person interview were professional, helpful, and friendly. The first phone call was more informational and seemed to exist to fill me in on anything I wasn't sure about regarding the position I applied for. He helped me understand the position and related positions, as well as the structure and experience of working at Riot. There were some very basic questions at this stage.

The second phone call was more difficult and focused on specific questions that employees in the department have faced or are currently facing. There was less focus on hiring details and more on skills and expertise and what I envisioned myself contributing.

The in-person interviews were similar, although face-to-face interactions allowed me to connect with the interviewers on a more personal level. The questions were thought-provoking and often open-ended. I feel like there was no "one correct answer." I enjoyed talking about my experiences and asking about theirs after the bulk of the questions were done. Most questions revolved around what I had included in my cover letter or resume. The others focused on the position I applied for and tried to get an idea of how I would solve existing problems.

There were some general delays during the onsite, but they were handled well, and I felt like I had their respect and that they valued my time.

One of the 6 interview blocks was held over lunch, which was a great way to hold an easy-going yet informative conversation that helped relieve some of the stress from the other more formal sections.

The only concern I had is that since the interview was held by 6 different people all separately (one after the other in 30-60 minute blocks), there were a lot of repeated questions. Although each person had a slightly different way of conducting their interview, some parts felt rather redundant.

Overall, the interview process seemed to put a lot of emphasis on whether I would be a good fit with the culture and personality of the company.

Below I've included the interview questions that I found most difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why shouldn't we hire you? (What are your weaknesses?)   Answer Question
    • What exactly do you want to work on? What do you see yourself doing if you get the position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online with a resume, cover letter, and an extra addition for Engineering Intern. After waiting roughly a month or so, got a short reply over e-mail saying I did not make it. I am currently pursuing a Computer Science degree, but maybe did not provide enough extra "wow" material to really blow them away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riot Games (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied Online, One Interview through the phone, didnt get through. Basically you apply online submit all the documents and answer all the relevant questions, after that theyll contact you through email for a phone interview and then after that face to face, pretty cool

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Riot Games in February 2014.

Interview

I contacted Riot and got interview around 2 - 3 weeks later in February. First, they gave me an online test about everything related to my position, that was hard to finish in an hour.

Then I got first round phone interview from a manager, which was just about culture fit. The conversation was very casual and even asked my about my favorite champion.

Then I went into the second round interview about technical skills. Questions are not too hard but interesting to answer. Even through I answered one question wrong, I still got into the onsite in the mid of March.

Onsite was a very long process for the whole day. We played LoL and then went through 4 small individual interviews. I met most of my future teammates there. The total process is really smooth and interesting. Rioters are really friendly and they know you can be nervous for this long onsite. Everything went well.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume via a friend who works at the company. Then had a few phone interviews with employees in several groups. After the initial screen was flown out to HQ to meet with another half dozen people. Interviews lasted from 9AM to 3PMish with a lunch interview as well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. A lot of the hiring process has to do with culture fit   Answer Question