Riot Games Publishing Function (E G, Legal, Marketing, Business Development, Finance) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Riot Games (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Riot interviews focused on a few key areas:

(1) culture fit -- they wanted to know whether I had experience with League of Legends (I did -- though not nearly as almost every one of my interviewers, which really impressed me -- most business people at other game companies tend to less knowledgeable about the products they publish/develop); the team also wanted to get a sense for whether I was legitimately passionate about the business and not just some MBA-type who smelled a gold rush and was fleeing Wall St. for the riches of gaming. This part of the interview cannot be faked, but advice to applicants is to play LoL and get to know it and competitor products.

(2) capabilities assessment -- they wanted to know if I could do the job, asking me a mix of case-study style questions that covered everything from quant skills (e.g., how would you estimate the number of players League of Legends could attract in country X) to soft skills (e.g., dealing with an underperforming employee, negotiating delicate situations with a partner company). I felt that this was pretty thorough, though I've been through other interview processes that were far more difficult and thorough (an interview with McKinsey comes to mind, here).

(3) team fit -- they wanted to assess whether I could get along with the team and the people I would be working with. Though Riot focuses in a big way on hiring top talent, they don't want to hire jerks or dicks. The management team I interviewed with has a ton of humility despite their incredible successes to date and they are looking for more uber-competent types who don't let their success or credentials get to their head. To assess team fit they took me out for meals and met with me in more social settings, and made sure that I had a chance to talk with everyone I'd be working with on a regular basis.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience playing LoL.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be honest/straightforward with your needs and don't play games.