River Island Clothing Sales Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.2

133 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online, then was invited a week later to attend a recruitment event. On the day there were roughly 15 people. We went up to the staff room and all sat down. We started off with an icebreaker and introduced ourselves to each other. We then got told a bit about the role and were asked questions about what services they provide, what they sell and what sets them apart from their competitors. After we individually stood up and explained why we chose our outfit in front of everyone and what celebrity inspires our dress sense. We finally had a couple of group discussions about why we were good for the role and what techniques we can use. Then we had a short one to one with a manager about what were currently doing and what our availability is.

Sales and Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (Croydon, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied in September and received an email 2 weeks later asking me to book an interview time.
    When i got there, there was a lot of other people, about 15 others and we was all in one room and she asked a question and we had to answer one by one. Then, we had to pick a celebrity and go to the shop floor and find an outfit for them to wear on the red carpet then come back and act out being the celebrity and being a sales assistant.

Sales Advisor - Full Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

We waited outside while they cashed up and were given name stickers before being led to the staff room. There was then ice-breakers and we answers questions and we were told about the company, we also answered a question in a group and wrote down the answers on paper and then read a few out. We were asked if we read the WOW Factor Booklet included via a link in an email confirming the time of the interview. We then went to the shop floor and had to either be a customer or shop adviser and choose an outfit for your chosen partner - we were given budgets and a prompt (the customer was asked for ideas on what it could be - a birthday party/cinema/cafe meetup with friends and a first date were some of the ones people went with? We then swapped roles and was paired with different people. At the end we went back down to the staff room and were asked if we had any questions and feedback about the interview. We weren't asked to explain our outfit and not everyone was wearing River Island clothing - just wear something comfortable, most people wear wearing jeans and a t-shirt. We were told we would hear back within three days and that there was three levels of scoring - no offer/no offer, but could be lead to one later and a job offer. We were told we would get an email and people who got the job would get a phone call.

Interview Questions

• Did anyone read the WOW Factor Booklet? Followed by questions regarding information in the booklet - The CEO's name/Five Ways of Working/Name of the shops throughout the years.   1 Answer

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at River Island Clothing.

Interview

Handed in CV, had interview and was contacted with a job offer in the space of a week. The interview was short and straight forward, only 20 minutes. Basic customer service questions.

Interview Questions

• Give and example of how you would upsell while dealing with a customer   1 Answer

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (Bristol, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

I had never had a group interview before so was slightly nervous, however there is no need to be, the interviewer was very friendly and overall the interview process was easy and relaxed. I would definitely recommend to do research as this helped me a lot. There were only 4 of us and were split into two groups. First we were asked to tell them about ourselves (mentioned previous work experience), then we were asked what we knew about the company, what is upselling and when we provided/received good customer service. After that we were required to do a role play in our groups where one person would be the customer searching for an outfit and the other would be a sales advisor, then we would switch roles. I found this role play simpler as we were not presenting it in front of others (would have been very nervous), however it was just a simple chat with the other person and the interviewer would just listen in on both groups. I had the interview on a Thursday and received a phone call the next day saying I was successful.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Overall it was okay apart from that the manager came across rude, blunt and careless towards others answers, especially those that actually did there research. E.g. were told not to mention wow factors if they didn't know all of it. My point of view atleast they done some sort of research. As I wasn't the only one feelng that way unfortunately.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rushden, East Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (Rushden, East Midlands, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview was really quick and relaxed the manager was very friendly, I applied for a part time Monday to Friday 11-4 , 12-5 I these were the hours advertised on the website, however when I got to the interview it was totally different hours which I couldn't do, I'm very disappointed that river island did this, I personally believe I didn't get the job because I mentioned I had children and wasn't able to work late nights or weekends I know it's retail, but I feel it's discrimination to be honest!

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at River Island Clothing (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and received an email back the following day to book onto a recruitment event. There was only one date available for me to book onto which was around two days later. When I arrived to the store I was sat waiting in the men's footwear area when around 9/10 people arrived. Staff were very friendly and invited us into the staff room where we all sat around a huge table. At this point we all individually introduced ourselves and got put into groups of 2 or 3 where we then had to write down what facts we knew about the company. The next stage of interview involved running out onto the shop floor in our groups to find an outfit which was most appropriate to the occasion we had been given. In my case I was given a night out clubbing. However, I had two other males in my group so we decided as a group that we'd pick two outfits... one for a women and one for a man. In our groups we then explained the chosen outfits and why. The interview lasted around 30/40 minutes if that. Two days later I got the call to say I had got the job and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• What facts do you know about River Island?   1 Answer

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at River Island Clothing in August 2017.

Interview

1 to 1 interview which I was surprised about after reading the reviews on here. interviewer was friendly and really nice, definitely more of a casual conversation then any other interview I've been too.
    definitely need to wear something in fashion or on trend that you feel comfortable in, I was originally going to wear something much smarter but relieved that I changed my mind, I wore over the knee black boots, blue jeans, a top that goes off one shoulder and a biker jacket. I think its important to wear at least one item thats on trend because she seemed very pleased when I mentioned that and also wear something you normally like wearing so you feel comfortable

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at River Island Clothing.

Interview

Around 14 of us at River island as group interview
    - introduced ourselves and everyone was lovely inc managers
    - things you would take to a desert island
    - small group of why RI? And manager would listen in
    - task in pairs for an outfit then sell it to group
    - another task in small groups of role play to perform
    Took just over an hour.
    Make sure you have a question ready to ask at the end and talk to everyone and show your personality! Booked onto a slot and got call next day with job offer
    Just wish there was a 1-1 to really sell yourself