Riverbed Technology Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 11, 2017

2.6

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through careers page at Riverbed. I got an interview call after three weeks. There were total 6 rounds . You need to spend almost one day for the interview.

Team will take you out for lunch.

Interviewers are very friendly and they give hints if you are stuck with some problem. Always
think loud.

Interview Questions

• Questions on mutex, basic data structures and linked list.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Riverbed Technology

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Asked to do a coding question at career fair. Got a call for onsite immediately in the evening. The recruiter was not flexible with interview dates. There are typically 5 rounds of onsite interview. 4 technical rounds and one lunch round. The interviewers were nice but they were very firm in what solution they are looking for. Even though you provide better alternative solution, they won't pay attention to it. They don't have good planning for interview. I had to wait 20 minutes as they didn't know who was going for lunch with me.

The worst part about the process is after interview communication. The same recruiter call me 3 times in a day to quickly set me up for interview, did not reply to any of my email after interview. They promised to reply back within a week. So I sent an email after not hearing back in a week. I sent 2 more email over the period of next 15 days but no reply. Eventually I went on the other offer.

Interview Questions

• 1) Create binary tree from pre order and in order traversals
      2) A question regarding dependency management (It was big use case description) which could be solved by two stacks
      3) Graph traversal
      4) Linked List node reversal of alternative node
      1->2->3->4->5->6 would become 2->1->4->3->6->5   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Champaign, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

First phone interview with a current employee. Pretty standard phone coding interview. Asked me to login to collabedit for coding demonstration. This is only the first interview. The recruiter told me I was rejected after approx. 3 business days. Overall experience is good.

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Interview

Basic algorithms (insertion/deletion), search etc. Emphasis is on following the API. One of the questions was relatively difficult that had to do with conversion of one type of a data structure to another and doing so efficiently (by using indexing). Nothing an experienced programmer couldn't do in his/her sleep.

Negotiation

At the time, I needed visa sponsorship, and the former OPNET was offering it. I had no room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was straight forward, the recruiter contacted me over linkedin and had a quick sync up of the position and what they were looking for and had set up the initial phone screen with the hiring manager.
    The phone screen was a simple programming challenge in C/C++ involving deleting duplicate elements in a linked list and though my solution wasn't perfect around the corner cases, and I was trying to fix things up, he was fine with that and had put me through the onsite.
    The onsite comprised of six interviews, normal algorithm/ds fundamentals, roughly four programming and two design and a technical chat with the hiring manager wherein I had expressed my view that I didn't do my best is some interviews and the response that I got was that they factor in a bunch of components to make the final decision. It has been two weeks and there aren't any response from the recruiter on the final onsite and I presume that I didn't get through, which wasn't a total shocker but the fact that the company which was rated one of the best place to work for had such an unethical practice towards the interviewers is quite disappointing. You may find some candidates not worth your time and that's why the phone screens are for, at least be courteous to send out the result for the interview for the amount of time that the candidate had spent towards the interviewing not taking into account the fact that we had to take the day off for the onsite as well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, just a question about cloning a linked list with an arbitrary pointer and to find an element in a matrix with elements sorted along the columns and rows.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The process was pretty standard - talked to four people and went to lunch with one. The technical questions were good - no stupid games or puzzles. They gave a very good idea of the job and the group.
    The interviewers did not coordinate - two of them told me the same thing about the company, the division, and the department.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

5 rounds of 45 minutes interview each. In person interview at their office in SF. Initially contacted by the recruiter for a phone screen. Company moves fast and is very persistent. Company is small and not in a area where there is much room for expansion beyond WAN Op.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Recruiter was from Riverbed. He was respectful and communicative throughout. They did a very good job of staying in contact and communicating before and after the interviews. The interview questions were well thought out and did not repeat themselves from person to person. It was nice not to have yet another "how fast can you code a contrived problem under pressure without time to think about it." or obscure trivia question. Most of the questions were about deep understanding and background knowlege and ability, rather than specific trivia. I felt like they wanted an engineer who understands how systems work, _and_ could code, rather than just a code monkey.

Interview Questions

• 1) How does an ISR work (All the way from the beginning to the end)
      2) Data structures and approaches such as when to use a hash table, tree, list, etc. on a conceptual level   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter wanted to make sure he understood my full compensation, so he could match the offer. They gave me what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter initially. I think they got my resume from the career fair in the college...
    Had a phone screen interview, went well.. I think the interviewer was dumb since he dint understand any of my research projects.. Then I got an email from him asking to solve a C test, and I think i did really well, so I got a onsite call within minutes I sent the solution via email..

The onsite started with a simple C test... had some dumb and ambiguos questions..
    None of the interviewers asked my about my experience or research project. They asked a couple of questions about my course projects. They asked me some intelligent questions, about how vectors are implemented in C++ etc.. Programming questions were more focused towards the product..

Overall, the ppl there dont know how to judge a person.. and I can say that since I interviewed with 8 companies, and got an offer from 7 of them..

Interview Questions

They selected some "really" dumb people.. so i believe it is not the right place to work...

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2017.

Interview

One of the worst process.. they took almost 6 technical + 4 other interviews...one of the interview was just to make sure that I will join them. But this is not the worst part, the worst part of the process is you have to call them to know the status, you have to literally chase them for an offer letter.

In my cases, after 10th interview, I was communicated that i made it and they will call for offer. The hr lady and me discussed an offer and finalised. She said that they will e-mail me the offer letter in a week. After a week, they gave excuse that one of the person is on leave, hence i will receive offer letter next week. This went on for 4 weeks. After that she said she is not sure what is happening and i should wait for one more week. This all was happening in my notice period and i already had other offer, but because i made it to riverbed, i did not appear for Adobe process (my mistake).

The hr at riverbed do not know anything, she kept saying that if i can delay the joining of other company, then it is great. Imagine, if i did not had any offer .. hr people at riverbed would have ruined my career..I am glad i did not join such company..

Interview Questions

• General questions on Linked list, arrays, storage related, current work.   Answer Question

I never got offer letter, i waited for more than a month , after offer was finalised verbally.