Riverbed Technology Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Member of Technical Staff - User Interface Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I had an initial call with HR. I then had a call with hiring manager who also did a light tech screen. I went onsite for about 6 hours to meet the team, do some technical interviews, etc. Then there were two more "getting to know you" conversations on the phone with team members. Everyone was very nice and helpful and it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• What is a closure in javascript?   1 Answer
    • They asked various questions about CSS box model, selectors, specificity, etc.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through careers page at Riverbed. I got an interview call after three weeks. There were total 6 rounds . You need to spend almost one day for the interview.

Team will take you out for lunch.

Interviewers are very friendly and they give hints if you are stuck with some problem. Always
    think loud.

Interview Questions

• Questions on mutex, basic data structures and linked list.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Asked to do a coding question at career fair. Got a call for onsite immediately in the evening. The recruiter was not flexible with interview dates. There are typically 5 rounds of onsite interview. 4 technical rounds and one lunch round. The interviewers were nice but they were very firm in what solution they are looking for. Even though you provide better alternative solution, they won't pay attention to it. They don't have good planning for interview. I had to wait 20 minutes as they didn't know who was going for lunch with me.

The worst part about the process is after interview communication. The same recruiter call me 3 times in a day to quickly set me up for interview, did not reply to any of my email after interview. They promised to reply back within a week. So I sent an email after not hearing back in a week. I sent 2 more email over the period of next 15 days but no reply. Eventually I went on the other offer.

Interview Questions

• 1) Create binary tree from pre order and in order traversals
      2) A question regarding dependency management (It was big use case description) which could be solved by two stacks
      3) Graph traversal
      4) Linked List node reversal of alternative node
      1->2->3->4->5->6 would become 2->1->4->3->6->5   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Champaign, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

First phone interview with a current employee. Pretty standard phone coding interview. Asked me to login to collabedit for coding demonstration. This is only the first interview. The recruiter told me I was rejected after approx. 3 business days. Overall experience is good.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

there were 5 interviews, all of them technical, including the manager interview. They tested my basic understanding of networks and systems and a bit of algorithms - this included coding as well.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Interview

Basic algorithms (insertion/deletion), search etc. Emphasis is on following the API. One of the questions was relatively difficult that had to do with conversion of one type of a data structure to another and doing so efficiently (by using indexing). Nothing an experienced programmer couldn't do in his/her sleep.

Negotiation

At the time, I needed visa sponsorship, and the former OPNET was offering it. I had no room for negotiation.

Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was straight forward, the recruiter contacted me over linkedin and had a quick sync up of the position and what they were looking for and had set up the initial phone screen with the hiring manager.
    The phone screen was a simple programming challenge in C/C++ involving deleting duplicate elements in a linked list and though my solution wasn't perfect around the corner cases, and I was trying to fix things up, he was fine with that and had put me through the onsite.
    The onsite comprised of six interviews, normal algorithm/ds fundamentals, roughly four programming and two design and a technical chat with the hiring manager wherein I had expressed my view that I didn't do my best is some interviews and the response that I got was that they factor in a bunch of components to make the final decision. It has been two weeks and there aren't any response from the recruiter on the final onsite and I presume that I didn't get through, which wasn't a total shocker but the fact that the company which was rated one of the best place to work for had such an unethical practice towards the interviewers is quite disappointing. You may find some candidates not worth your time and that's why the phone screens are for, at least be courteous to send out the result for the interview for the amount of time that the candidate had spent towards the interviewing not taking into account the fact that we had to take the day off for the onsite as well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, just a question about cloning a linked list with an arbitrary pointer and to find an element in a matrix with elements sorted along the columns and rows.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. One phone screen asking general programming questions (string manipulation, basic algorithm/hashmap stuff), followed by an onsite interview that went into depth with more engineers and more programming questions. Interview varied from general java questions to more specific algorithm questions.

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The process was pretty standard - talked to four people and went to lunch with one. The technical questions were good - no stupid games or puzzles. They gave a very good idea of the job and the group.
    The interviewers did not coordinate - two of them told me the same thing about the company, the division, and the department.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

The hiring process involves 2 phone screens each being highly technical. Once selected there is an onsite interview which consists of 5-7 technical rounds. The last round might be managerial assessing the culture fit to the team and the company.

The team I interviewed with was looking for systems programmers so C was the primary language and concepts in Operating Systems are thoroughly tested. I would suggest going through the 1st 5 chapters of UTLK book. Its an awesome book to read. It helped me get through multiple systems companies.

Also, expect to write lots and lots of whiteboard code in C/C++.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 linked lists sorted in ascending order, write a function that will merge these lists into a single sorted list without copying the list contents. The node structure is of the form:

struct Node {
          int value;
          struct Node *next;
      };   1 Answer

I had offers from other companies in systems area.