Riverbed Technology Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Riverbed Technology Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

contacted by recruiter, then phone interview. Recruiter was nice. She worked very hard to find a match. Interview was well prepared. I got a little confused while implementing hashmap. i think they expect near prompt solutions

Interview Questions

• 1. difference b/w thread and process
    2. TCP vs UDP
    3. implement hashmap   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Riverbed Technology

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got call from recruiter within few days. He explained about the position and all of their products in detail. Position was more of front end developer position. Then got phone screening with hiring manager. He asked few simple questions about CSS and JavaScript.
    They called me for full day onsite interview. There were 7 interviews scheduled for whole day, including one lunch interview. There was no break scheduled. Honestly it was the longest interview I had ever experienced. Interview questions were pretty simple just some tricky JavaScript and CSS question

Interview Questions

• JavaScript Closures
      CSS selectors
      Showed me some javascript code and asked what will be output.
      Given a HTML element and Id, write a program to find out if given id is child of the HTML element.
      Questions about my current project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

People there are nice and friendly, had the interview from 9 AM to 4PM. Eight people ask me questions, each of them takes about 45 mins, tired. No fancy questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview covered past experiences. The interviewer didn't seem impressed but kept the conversation going. It appeared that he already had a candidate or candidates in mind. It was brief, no more than 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• 'Tell me about yourself and past experience' type questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It starts with one phone screen with the hiring manager. After that, I was invited for the on-site interview. There were 5 one-on-one technical interviews. One of them was more on system design. The questions were algorithmic based, but very straightforward. I was able to solve them without much help with about a week worth of coding practice after work. One of the on-site interview was conducted by the director and I stumbled on his question a bit. I think only 2 interviews dedicated some time for me to tell some technical behavioral stories. It's always good to have a few different kind of stories in your head to answer different type of behavior questions. For the system design question, make sure to use the whiteboard fully. i.e. listing requirements, simple flow charts, etc. Even though your design might not be right, it still showed that your are dissecting a problem.

Interview Questions

• Give a list of servers, design a system or messaging protocol for them to communicate the activation of a neighboring server.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very thorough and professional during the whole process. I had two rounds of phone interview before being called on-site. There were programming questions asked over the phone as well as during the in-person interview. Robin and Kara took good care to make sure that the process was as smooth as possible.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to write to a named pipe in Unix. Also a programming question on finding a sub-string.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology.

Interview

Went through internal recruiter. Had initial phone screening followed by in-person interview. In-person interview lasted all day with each interviewer taking between 45minutes - 1 hour. Very technical. Started off with a written C/C++ test. Not too many questions about project deep-dive. Most questions were C coding questions. Covered most common areas like multi threading, memory management, IPC, string manipulation. Also had design questions.

Interview Questions

• Design question to merge error logs in chronological order   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

There was a initial phone interview, which went smooth. In fact they didn't delve into the resume details much.

Interview Questions

• Mostly kernel level programming despite my resume showing no trace of kernel development.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Riverbed Technology (San Francisco, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

- Contacted by the recruiter through an under-handed poaching exercise from my current employer. Following day was given a phone screen by a "senior engineer" and had travel arrangements made within a half hour of having completed that call.
    - Traveled on-site to their San Francisco HQ to interview in-person on what was well-known to be a "bad day" within the company for doing any recruitment.
    - The people doing the interview, while advertised as being "a great team" they had no interest in business knowledge or relevant industry experience. It is clear that they are trying to staff a crack team capable of executing the bare minimum of requirements dictated by somebody with a higher title than bringing real contributions to the table.
    - They won't publicly admit to trying to penetrate the data de-duplication marketplace in public, but they're putting together a "team" to compete now that they've seen EMC+Data Domain, ExaGrid, Sepaton and the likes capitalizing on the storage market. It's a shame that this "team" is meant to be comprised of a bunch of coding grunts, not people with a real sense of the business space or with ideas that could improve their position in a well-evolved market.
    - The shortsightedness of the company, along with a very ethnically non-diverse "team" is a recipe for disaster, especially for a relocation candidate. After meeting with them in person, I cannot possibly imagine taking the job even if it were offered, regardless of the price tag affixed.
    - Despite interviewing for a "senior/principal engineer" role, the interview process was heavily geared toward recent college grads or even career-fair material. Not challenging, and they'd have been better off just putting a bunch of Berkeley grads in the room to take a written test - it would have at least felt somewhat more normal.
    - The interview process was cold, barren and mostly devoid of discussion - it was one of those interviews where one could legitimately walk out wondering if they even had a position to fill, or were trying to burn some recruiting dollars before the end of the quarter to justify the next quarter's budget. Expense every penny you can because you won't get back the time wasted on this frivolity.

Interview Questions

• Write C code in agonizing detail how to traverse an unbalance B-tree to find a least-common ancestor of two nodes.   1 Answer
    • How would one implement mutex_[un]lock functions without having a mutex available.   1 Answer
    • Written test - do some bitwise XOR operations (no problem solving, just complete a basic CS-I level written test). Why won't [insert some C++ code here] compile? What's wrong with [insert some other C++ code here]?   1 Answer