Robert Bosch LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Robert Bosch LLC Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2018

2.8

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

It was a fairly standard process: (1) call from recruiter, (2) technical-ish interview with hiring manager and another technical staff, (3) take home data science project, and (4) onsite interviews.
    PS: writing this sentence to meet the 30 word minimum requirement.

Interview Questions

• A. Presentation on a technical topic of your choice (to a roomful of around 20 people, who will constantly ask you technical questions related to your presentation as you progress along)

B. Whiteboard Questions (with different sets of interviewers):

1. Given a random number generator randN() that generates integers between 1 <= x <= N write a function that generates a number between 1 <= y <= M such that each integer in the range [1, M] has an equal probability of selection. Note that both N and M are known in advance and M > N. You can only use randN() and cannot use any other random number generating function calls.

2. Say there is only one kitchen in your office that is shared by your team and another team. Both teams have 15 members each. Every morning exactly 30 apples can be found in the kitchen that anybody in your team or the other team can take but of course is not required to (which means there could potentially be some apples leftover in the kitchen at the end of the day). You suspect that the other team is taking more than its "fair share" of apples and you want to test this hypothesis. But you are not allowed to ask individuals how many apples they ate, even if they are from your team and you cannot observe who is taking the apples in the kitchen. How would you go about evaluating your initial hypothesis? Write down the test that you would use.

3. You are given three stack data-strucures that ONLY support pop, push, and peek methods. One of the stacks contains 5 integers in arbitrary order. Write a program in your language of choice to create a sorted stack with lowest numbers at the bottom of the stack and (ideally) not using more than the 3 stacks provided.

4. You are presented with a rectangular surface (map-like), with friction and environmental data recorded at a limited number of arbitrary points in the surface. There are a number of key-points in the surface for which you need to calculate the friction value. [Note: These "key points" were spaced as if they were the points of intersection of grid-lines that sub-divided the total surface area into smaller squares]. How would you implement a KNN approach to estimate the friction values at the key points if you wanted a distributed/scalable solution. What is the ideal way to place the key points in the surface, i.e. how would you determine the distance/spacing between the key points?

5. Difference between l1/l2 penalty (lasso vs. ridge); Why use elastic net rather than simply using L1? What is the manner in which L1 penalty "drops" a subset of correlated variables aka how does it "choose" which correlated variable(s) to drop?

6. Given Sum[(x_hat - x_i)^2] for i = i, 2,...,n what value of x_hat will minimize the expression given here?

7. Same as (6) but the expression is Sum[abs(x_hat - x_i)]? Justify/explain your answer.

8. What are the different ways to regularize neural networks?

9. Say there is a function that is fitting three distinct models (i.e. independently of each other) with 14 million different time series', each of time-length 'l', and generating future forecasts (the input and forecasts are overwhelmingly positive values but some can be negative). Given that you have limited computing resources, say 200 cores, what is the best way to distribute the task of performing this operation. You can either use Spark to show how it can be done or you can simply describe the algorithm to get it done. They will ask you follow-up questions on the run-time complexity of your chosen algorithm(s).

C. HR and Management Joint-Interview:

These were largely generic HR/Management type questions.

10. Why this company and this position?
      11. What do you see yourself doing in the next 5 years?
      12. Describe a situation where you had disagreement with team members / colleagues and how you resolved it.
      13. What is your ideal work environment? What kind of managemenet style do you like?
      14. Have you been in leadership positions? What was your management style?
      15. Did you face a situation where one of your team members was not motivated at all? And how did you resolve the situation.
      16. Would you consider a management position in the future?
      17. Describe a work situation where you felt a technical skill lacking in your part or that you really wished you had.
      18. Why did you decide to go to [college/university name]?
      19. Thinking about [project in your resume], what was a very challenging scenario that you faced and how did you handle it.
      20. Other than your past projects that we have already discussed, what other projects are you especially proud of and why?
      21. Do you already have offers from other companies?
      22. How much time can we take to notify you of our decisions?
      23. If you are hired, would you start straight away or would you need some time to make that decision?

- Finally, at the end of the interview you will have an opportunity to ask them questions   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

1) Coding challenge
    2) Prescreening
    3) Onsite (3 Technical, 1 Presentation, 1HR)

Despite email confirmation regarding reimbursement of travel expenses, Bosch did not pay for my Traven expenses. So be careful, once you are rejected, the company won't pay for your travel expenses. For a graduate student travel expenses are a big deal, being a multinational company it is bad on part of Bosch to dupe a graduate student.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (Farmington Hills, MI) in April 2018.

Interview

There were three steps to my interview process. The first was a phone call asking standard questions with HR. The second was a meeting with my hiring manager and another specialist, asking questions mainly from my resume and experience. The third was an in person interview which consisted of about five technical questions including a hand written coding problem on the whiteboard. The overall hiring process took about a month.
    The technical questions were fairly straightforward and open ended. It's difficult to get them wrong, it's more about how the questions are approached and how natural the response is.

Interview Questions

• Mathematical coding problem in any programming language   Answer Question

Automated Car DevOps Engineer Interview

Interview

Was interviewed in Feb 2018. Firstly had screening round with the hiring manager which was mainly based on discussion over the work experience. Next there was a 1 hour hackerrank coding challenge given which had 3 questions. All were easy questions on the using datastructures. Got a call from the hiring manager asking for the availability for a 1 hour phone screen. The interview started with very basic linux fundamentals asking to describe the functioning of few commands. Then was given a piped linux command and asked for the output. There were also few basic questions on distributed systems terminologies. Later on was asked to do exception handling for an easy scenario.

Interview Questions

• Exception handling for a program to add two numbers passed using command line arguments.   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

An hour of interview, including technical presentation of things done on the graduate school. There was also short coding test, based on the shared web document, asking to implement simple data structure in c++.

Software Function Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (Novi, MI) in March 2018.

Interview

The process takes around 2-3 monts.
    The interview itself is easy with the the Hiring Manager and senior engineers with a mix of behavorial and technical questions. The interview started with an introduction to the job, going through your resume and then a mix of technical and professional questions i.e. future goals and so on.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions based on your resume.
      Questions regarding Microcontrollers and Model based design using MATLAB/Simulink.   Answer Question

Wireless Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC.

Interview

The interview was supposed to be for 40 minutes, but got extended to 1 hour 10 minutes. Friendly tech recruiter who was helpful and ready to answer any questions about the profile or the company.

Interview Questions

• - Asked about my resume in details, every project every word
      - Asked about the knowledge of the company
      - Asked basic TCP UDP questions
      - Asked hidden/exposed terminal and RTS-CTS
      - Asked C and python basic (static variables, global, function, tuple value change)
      - Asked basic OS concepts and race conditions   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (Farmington Hills, MI).

Interview

Applied from an online posting. About a day later I received an email asking for more information. A couple weeks after responding to that email I received another asking for my schedule to come in for an in person interview. Interview was with my manager and somebody else in my division I would be working with. Interview lasted about an hour. We discussed my resume, work experience, school work, and other personality-based questions. I received an offer later that day.

Software Controls Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (San Diego, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter about a month later, and was asked to answer a few questions on my technical background. Had a phone interview with the engineering manager a month later.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Bosch LLC (Plymouth, MI) in February 2018.

Interview

Started with phone screening. Later in person interview with hiring manager and another manager. I was told that I was being considered for a couple of open positions in the department. Interview went well and was called back for second round interview with hiring manager and 3 other people, including position incumbent who was being promoted. Felt good about the interactions, didn't find out if I was chosen for over 3 weeks after the second interview. I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• What role in your prior experience(s) most closely relate to this position?   Answer Question