Robert Walters Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Robert Walters Interview Questions

Interviews at Robert Walters

2.9

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Tokyo (Japan)) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume (for another industry) with Robert Walters so they could add me to their database. It was a very industry-specific resume. I got an email back, asking whether I could not be tempted to work for them instead. I responded I would be interested to learn more and the next day I had a phone interview. This interview tried to ascertain whether you are business minded (read: bring in the money) rather than customer minded. A rather weird question for me personally was the reason why I wanted to work for Robert Walters. They seemed to have forgotten it was them who asked me. Nonetheless, I had done my research and given a satisfactory answer. As a result, I was invited for a meet and greet with managers during a networking reception at their office near Shibuya.
    The networking reception was attended by various young professionals, mainly from Taiwan, Korea and Japan. There were also a few Westerners and even students, but not many. Dress code was business smart, but everybody was 100% suited up. After all, you don't take chances in Tokyo.
    First we got a brief outline of Robert Walters and recruitment. The two presenting managers were very enthusiastic and clear in their explanations. The goal is obviously to fire you with enthusiasm so you want to work there.
    Afterwards there was the opportunity to network with everybody present. More managers walked in. I managed to speak with every manager and most of the other candidates. Most candidates came from IT firms outside of Japan or had some recruitment experience in Tokyo. A lot of candidates came across as passive or intimidated by the managers and just observed as more talkative profiles made connections. However, the managers made sure they talk to everybody.
    During the conversation, the managers try to ask you some questions about your profile. Clearly, you have to be memorable for when they discuss among themselves as to who stood out. One manager disappointed me, though. He clearly had read my resume and joked my resume was rather odd, considering I was applying for a recruitment job. Obviously, he wasn't informed that I was picked out of their own database and asked by his company to come in. I did bring a new and adapted resume tailored to the recruitment sector, but was told it wasn't necessary to submit. So why ridicule me for it?

The next day I sent a thank you email, but did not get any replies. Only when I inquired about my application, I got the nonsense message that I was a good candidate, but that they were in the extraordinary situation of being able to select from a lot of good candidates this time round and that some hard choices had to be made.

Did follow-up, but I never heard from them again. Also don't know if I have been entered in their regular database. I've also met some people in Tokyo's expat scene who were hired there straight out of college and with no relevant study experience. My own experience and skills are very relevant for this job, so the real reasons for not selecting me are very unclear to me. I expected to at least get into one of the following 1-on-1 interview stages. Reflecting back on the resume issue, I have the feeling there was either bad internal communication on how I ended up being interested or maybe I was merely invited so that HR could reach a target number of seats filled. Or there was indeed a divine influx of brilliant profiles or I must have somehow made a very bad presentation. My impression is that it was a mix of all of these and I will never know. Overall, I have the feeling this is a very good company to work for where hard work is correctly rewarded. But just be honest with your candidates, Robert Walters. We can take it and we just may be your future clients.

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Tokyo (Japan)) in June 2016.

Interview

There will be at least 8 interviews, the first one would be with the internal recruiter to do a 10 to 15 mins general interview, and then the Director, Associate Director, Manager, etc. from each different division to see if you will be a good match for the respective division/team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Why do you want to become the recruiter?
      What's your motivation?
      What was the difficult task in your experience and how have you overcame that?
      What is the most important thing in the recruiting?
      A lot of role plays, such as, "pitch me the job", "if you knew the company has the bad reputation, and you got an offer for your candidate, what would you do?" "If the candidate pissed at our firm and telling us not using us again, what would you do?"   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Robert Walters.

Interview

The interview was long since I had to talk to different people from different divisions of the company. Everyone was professional and very direct in stating the company's values.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are the challenges in the recruiting industry?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Seoul (South Korea)) in January 2014.

Interview

Two interview stages. One on one with the hiring manager and another with the team members. Both interviews each ran for around an hour, with the hiring manager explaining about the company, asking questions regarding contents on CV and also the reason for joining.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about our company and what motivated you to apply?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview which is about discussing your past work experience and ask about why being a HR consultant. After that, an interview is being arranged and a One on One with the senior consultant interview is proceed . After a short interview, I have been told that I need to wait until next week when her manager is back from overseas and see whether the manager is interested in proceeding the next stage of interview. I am still waiting at the moment but meantime, I have sent a thank you letter to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What is your weakness and strength? How do you prioritize between career progression, family and money?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Seoul (South Korea)) in June 2015.

Interview

- Team manager contacted me via Linkedin sharing information of current open position, invited to an interview
    - Rather than Q&A style, it was more conversational. The manager described the major tasks and what would be anticipated from the associate consultant. Questions he asked were mostly behavioural questions. The manager was looking more into personal fit from his candidates.

Interview Questions

• - Describe your personal traits and how they would fit into the position
      - How do you deal with difficulties?
      - How do you resolve conflicts with your team members?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Tokyo (Japan)) in March 2016.

Interview

I wanted to work in Japan, so I emailed my CV to the talent manager of Japan. Got an email back a week later saying she wanted to do a Skype Call. She was very friendly and interview went pretty well. Told me though that because they already hired a lot of foreigners the previous year and my Japanese capability wasn't as high as needed that it might be difficult for me to get another interview. Despite that, she sent my resume/interview notes up to the directors. The next day she told me that they wouldn't interview me because of lack of sales experience and lower level Japanese, but she was very nice and told me I could keep in touch.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?   Answer Question
    • If your friends had to pick one negative trait about you what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Tokyo (Japan)) in February 2015.

Interview

Long and but within 2 weeks. I probably went through 5 interviews met 10 + people. I first met with recruiter she coached me a little but was worthless. She seemed a little stuck up and annoyed me some what she tried to pull that she was more Japanese than myself even though I spoke much better than her. Met with several members from a variety of teams to figure out who most likely felt my personality was a fit for me.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your job? Why robert walters? why recruitment? can you deal with rejection? how to overcome obstacles? Tell me your craziest story?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty simply, sign this paper and you are a RW employee. No Negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Robert Walters (Tokyo (Japan)) in December 2012.

Interview

It was a shotgun interview with 6 people (which is considered a smaller interview) with everyone in the team and division. It was a great chance to meet people you will be working with as well as a chance to promote yourself to the interviewers.

The interview is very much dependent on how you are able to think on your feet, confidence in speaking and making sure you match the culture of the firm. They are known to not even really go off of your CV.

Interview Questions

• Different depending on the consultant however several curve balls such as logical questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Robert Walters in February 2016.

Interview

Applied through company website, received a call from the HR department a few fays later. Basic questions on why recruiting, why Robert Walters etc...

Was scheduled a face-to-face interview with 2 managers on different sectors, again basic behavioral questions nothing difficult. Managers were extremely friendly and made me comfortable during the interview process.

Recieved a follow-up e-mail with a feedback, was scheduled another interview with an associate director for a 3rd round, nothing diffficult just asking why Robert Walters instead of competitors, what is your goal within next 10 years etc...

Was scheduled another interview with 4 directors at a corporate headquarter, very long but fun at the same time. They make you feel comfortable and treat you with respect.

Received a call from HR the next day and was scheduled a final interview with an associate director. This time it wad VERY tough, with 3 role plays (cold calling a candidate and scheduling an interview, pursuading a new client to interview candidates, and name collecting by cold calling real companies).

Received an offer right after the final role play.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate since I was applying for an entry level position.

See What Robert Walters Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros: “The SF office is a great environment to grow your career and build a strong foundation in sales, relationships, and business acumen. You gain exposure to a ton of different tech startups...”“The SF office is a great environment to grow your career and build a strong foundation in sales, relationships, and business acumen. You gain exposure to a ton of different tech startups, executives/Founders, and a fantastic network that you wouldn’t have the chance to if you were recruiting internally at one company or even other agencies. The culture and teams in this office are extremely supportive and set you up to succeed for the long-term, whereas some recruiting agencies are known to set very aggressive short-term targets and are not forgiving if you don’t achieve these targets. The culture here is incredibly genuine and friendly where it’s easy to make friends not only at work, but also outside of work with all the office events, off-sites, happy hours, etc. It’s a place where you can have fun, but at the same time work hard and feel professionally challenged. Your desk is like a platform to launch your own recruitment business and network, and as hard as you want to work is as successful as you’ll be with generous base salaries and an even more generous uncapped bonus system. One of the best things about the company overall is the opportunity to transfer abroad to any one of the Robert Walters global offices, which span almost 30 countries worldwide. If you’ve ever wanted to work internationally, the company has the resources and global mobility network to support you wherever you want to take your career. After over 2 years in this office, I can still confidently say that it’s truly an incredible company and place to work.” – Full Review