Roblox Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Roblox

2.5

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I found the entire interview process very pleasant and rewarding. Lisa Martin (internal recruiter) was very good at guiding me through the process and she did frequent checkins through out. The interview process itself was a great mix of conversations (including over coffee), discussions about challenging projects, and architectural reviews.

Interview Questions

• Design a URL shortening service including pros and cons of approaches.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Roblox

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Overall, a very positive experience! Roblox subscribes to the philosophy that "everyone is their own CEO", meaning that managers have wide latitude to define how their teams operate, including the interview processes for each team. That seems to be responsible for the widely varying experiences people have reported.

The process I went through was a series of phone interviews followed by a final round panel interview, discussing my management style, experience managing teams, thoughts on process and strategy, aspects of my personality, and a bit of coding and technical design. Unlike applicants for some other teams at the company, I didn't need to complete an online coding challenge, though I certainly wouldn't have balked at one.

What struck me most about Roblox was the passion everyone brought to their work - everyone from Karen, the office assistant, to the recruiting leads and the managers, directors, VPs, and CEO were super enthusiastic about working there and creating such a great content creation platform, and they expect the same of applicants! I was glad to see it, as that means they have a good handle on company culture and look for more than just passing a technical bar.

The process moved very quickly, as it should when hiring senior people in this area, and they turned around the offer in record time. My one complaint about the process was that it became a high pressure sell once the offer was in my hand. The offer expired within only one day of issuance, and they kept pushing me for a very immediate start date, which would have left me little time to wrap up my current work and move. Most companies I've worked at in the past hired for overall talent and allocated them where there was need shortly before the start date; the need to fill candidates on a predefined roadmap definitely seems like a downside of hiring for specific openings.

Timing issues and exploding offers aside, I'm really psyched by the passion everyone is displaying for their work and I'm excited to join them in it!

Roblox Response

Mar 21, 2019 – Team Roblox

Thank you for your thorough review. We’re glad it was a positive experience, that you were able to pick up on our enthusiastic company culture, and that you accepted the offer! We’ve shared your note... More