Roblox Interview Questions in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

Roblox Interview Questions in San Mateo, CA

Updated Feb 8, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

stressful and frustrating, i was asked question about my current work, and the recruiter were question my qualification all the time. in the end, he said i dont know why i am calling you. it hurts me.....

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process began with a recruiter e-mail scheduling a phone interview. I was rescheduled with another recruiter at the last minute. It was clear the recruiter I talked to spent zero time reading my resume, because she kept getting simple details wrong that I had to correct her on (what school I went to, details about my projects/experience that were clearly written). As a candidate who spent several days/hours preparing for the screen, its disrespectful to talk to someone who spent no time at all getting simple details about the candidate you're talking to correct.

I then got an invitation for a coding test. The coding platform is horrible (testdome) and the formatting of the question was very bad. The question/examples was just one large block of text with no line breaks, and made it very hard to read. Furthermore, it didn't even let me copy/paste the question to a text editor to make it easier to read. The instructions for the test were very unclear, and I did not realize until several minutes in that we are allowed and expected to use STL for the test. Much of the test is just figuring out what library to import and use.

When you run the code, it is tested against several test cases with bad naming (test case name "backity back") that you can't see the output to. Not only is this unrealistic, it means you have to account for any error that may go wrong with the program, and the instructions don't tell you how to handle cases which may throw these errors. For example, if the program should only take alphabetical characters, the question has no instructions on how to handle numeric input when you know its probably one of the test cases. Since you can't see the output, you're left guessing on whether you're returning the correct error value or if you're even doing a correct test case.

Overall a pretty bad interview experience. Things were timely, but the recruiter was a bit rude and the coding platform and questions were pretty bad and could have been much more directly asked.

Interview Questions

• String counting question and a question to implement CD that is really just a string parsing question.   Answer Question

Senior Game Networking Engineer (C++ ) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The stages of their hiring process is pretty much standard but it was very well organized and fast with their great recruiting staff. At onsite interview with their engineers, they will give you tough programming quiz, so be prepared. Stay calm and work it out.

Interview Questions

• Programming questions (C/C++): String search algorithm using predefined word array   Answer Question

Principal UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Roblox had a clean and quick interview process. I met with 4 individuals separately, 2 asked whiteboard programming questions, and 2 discussed the role and asked questions about my background and interests. The team was very thoughtful and enthusiastic. The offer I received was generous. The team made it clear that they strongly believe in a healthy work-life balance.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specific questions about my background, and how that would apply to the work at Roblox. I was also asked about my interests and what I would want to do at the company.   Answer Question

Senior Console Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was approached by an external recruiter regarding an opportunity at ROBLOX. My initial phone interview was with a recruiter at ROBLOX. We discussed my relevant experience in console game development, particularly my experience in rendering. She emphasized the importance of C++ for this position and wanted to make sure I was prepared for it going into the interview process. I asked her questions ranging from team sizes to product KPIs to company financials, all of which she provided honest and specific details on. I was particularly impressed by the level of knowledge and enthusiasm the recruiter presented throughout the process.

My second phone interview was with the Director of Engineering of the hiring group, which went into more details on my dev experience. I also learned more specifics about the project and the team from this call. After that, I was given a take-home C++ coding test through testdome.com. There were two questions, each of which I was given an hour to complete once started. I was allowed to start the test any time during a one week period. The questions were interesting and moderately challenging. I was allowed to use an IDE of my choice to develop and test my code before pasting them into testdome. Testdome also provided a Run button, which you can use as many times as you want. This was very useful as you can test out initial solutions quickly against their test cases. Even though I did not get to see the exact test cases, it was sufficient hint for me to iterate over my own test cases and solution. I completed and did well on this test. I thought this emulated well the process one might use to cook up coding solution quickly in a work environment.

Due to personal reasons, I decided to not make a move from my current job yet and did not continue with the interview process after the test. Nonetheless, I had a very positive experience with the interview process. I had received prompt and clear communications every step of the way, and everyone I have spoken to has been smart and enthusiastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

My experience is pretty consistent with that of the Principal Engineer candidate who gave a review here on Mar 2, 2016. I was initially approached by a recruiter about a software engineering position. The recruiter did the bare minimum of arranging a phone screen, and did not follow up with a description of the position(s) I'd asked for. The phone screen was a high-level employment experience discussion with a hiring manager, which went fine. This was followed by a code test, which I took, and then by.... silence. No followup from Roblox or their recruiter, not even a "thanks for taking time to take our test." This lack of basic professional courtesy simply doesn't bode well, so I decided not to follow up on my own.

Now, a few words about the code test. To be frank, the test environment is substandard. If you're familiar with HackerRank or CodeFights, TestDome is what I imagine those products may have looked like in early alpha. In fairness to Roblox, the invitation email did say "C++ Test", but that was the only warning I got that it may be language specific. TestDome does not let you work in your language of choice, and both questions required working knowledge of C++ std library or STL classes to implement elegantly. I was not provided with any hints about what to expect (bear in mind, they knew they were sending this to a Java programmer).

Both code tests had 1-hour time limits. The first test was a type of search, and was suited to a data structure I work with regularly in other languages, so I was able to complete it in well under the allotted time. The second test required fluency in manipulating strings in C++, which I do not have (and didn't, even when I worked in C++ years ago). This is a strange type of problem to screen for a game engine/rendering position. I spent the majority of the hour reading std library documentation and didn't really have time to work out a proper solution to the problem before having to throw down some last minute code. The large countdown timer going in the corner of the screen didn't help things any.

Unlike the other code test sites I mentioned, TestDome does not show you the input or output of the unit tests, only the pass/fail counts. This is not a useful feedback loop. The tests really couldn't be any less like a real world coding situation. Feedback about the unit test outcomes would have been particularly helpful on the second question, as the requirements were incompletely defined; what I wrote passed the example cases in the question, but failed "hidden tests" :-/

I would advise Roblox to come up with a more appropriate screening process, and to follow up with candidates that take time to do their tests or interviews. They are very likely passing over good, qualified candidates with their combination of testing process and lack of communication.

Interview Questions

• A searching/counting problem, and a string manipulation/parsing problem.   Answer Question

Devops Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I initially applied for the Full Stack Engineer position through AngelList. A recruiter contacted me, and through discussion discovered that the devops position would be a better match. Then there was a technical phone screen of standard difficulty. Then I was invited for an on-site interview lasting a few hours. I was interviewed by several team members discussing my previous projects, and answered technical questions (whiteboard coding).

Interview Questions

• Q: Design the backend for a popular application   1 Answer
    • Q: Write code to calculate the maximum sub-square sum in a square matrix   1 Answer
    • Q: Write code to calculate character frequencies in a string   Answer Question

Senior Game Engine Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Got contacted and submitted resume through recruiter. Went through 2 phone screens, one with HR and one with engineering director, followed by an online assessment, then a 5-round onsite. Got oral result the next day and official offer 2 days later. A very smooth and pleasant process. It is the best interview experience I had.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm questions to evaluate how you approach problems and your thinking pattern. The important part is to share/demonstrate how you think and solve these problems, i.e. communicate is VERY important.

Given that Roblox is a game company, experience/knowledge in how to make games (computer graphics, physics engine implementation, etc) will definitely add to your score.
      Answer Question

Other Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with HR and then hiring manager. Then in person interviews with HR, hiring manager and several team members.

It was very disappointing that they never sent me an email to let me know that I didn't get the job. Especially considering how much time and effort I put into my time with them.

Advice to Roblox, is to treat your candidates with respect and close the loop to let them know if they did or did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Standard "tell me about a time when..." type of questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied directly through a job board to Senior Software Engineer (Frontend) position. Initial phone conversation with the company's recruiter and got an online coding test from testdome.com. This was followed by a technical phone screen and a 4-5 hrs of onsite interview. Overall, it was a nice experience. The onsite process was well organized and every person focused on different areas, like - OOP design for Uber type of business, data structure, and HTML/JavaScript coding.

Interview Questions

• Q. Design classes and methods for Uber type of business
      Q. From a nxn matrix, read the matrix in spiral way (top row, right column, bottom row, left column...) and print a flat array
      Q. How would you code a popup window using HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
      Answer Question