Roblox Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 27, 2017

3.2

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Roblox (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Met with two people, both of which were quite young and friendly. I was asked about my strengths and weaknesses, and to talk about a past learning experience before the technical portion of the interview

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Roblox

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roblox in July 2017.

Interview

Talked with a recruiter and took a programming test. A test question was taken from test examples on the site they used and was unrelated to the responsibilities of the position.

Interview Questions

• Write "cd" functionality for a path container provided.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview had 4 parts: an online coding test, an on-site with the team, a phone chat with VP and a Google Hangout with the CEO. Everyone was very friendly, technical questions were not hard, just reasonably difficult. The process took about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Online coding: given an array of positive and negative numbers, return a maximum possible product of 3 numbers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Interview

They spammed me multiple times for a position. After I told them my skillset they said another recruiter will call me but never did.

Then the recruiter keeps mentioning her boss's name and accused me of applying to many roles. But I never applied before.

They are liars and they keep contradicting themselves.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox in February 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted through LinkedIn and I responded a few days later. I gave them my email and telephone number so they could contact me. I was introduced to a second recruiter who setup a phone interview. This interview was to tell me about their company and ask me about my background. I was then given a test that I could start at anytime within the week, but once started I had two hours to finish.

The test consisted of two coding tasks and you're given an hour for each. The programming tasks were not too difficult, however your code runs through several test cases that are cryptically named and don't display the input or output for the test. I had finished the first task with enough time to spare, but one test case was failing. I ended up spending the rest of the time trying to figure out what the test case was but failed to figure it out. The second task was much simpler and finished in half the time given. Unfortunately, I couldn't use the time to go back to figure out what my first problem was. Overall I got a 94%, so I was hopeful that should have been enough to warrant continuing the process.
    The following workday I reached out to the recruiter and informed them I was finished with the test. I was told they would get back to me by the end of the day. A week passed and I pinged the recruiter again. My email bounced, so I contacted the original recruiter. A day or more passed and I was then told the recruiter had left the company, but that they wanted me to speak with a hiring manager. I never heard back from them and decided to not pursue them anymore as I ended up accepting an offer at another company.

Overall I consider it to be a negative experience for me as it wasted time and I was left hanging on more than one occasion, but because of one of their recruiters left as I was dealing with them- I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if I pinged them again I would have gotten things to progress, but fortunately for me I had a better opportunity coming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process began with a recruiter e-mail scheduling a phone interview. I was rescheduled with another recruiter at the last minute. It was clear the recruiter I talked to spent zero time reading my resume, because she kept getting simple details wrong that I had to correct her on (what school I went to, details about my projects/experience that were clearly written). As a candidate who spent several days/hours preparing for the screen, its disrespectful to talk to someone who spent no time at all getting simple details about the candidate you're talking to correct.

I then got an invitation for a coding test. The coding platform is horrible (testdome) and the formatting of the question was very bad. The question/examples was just one large block of text with no line breaks, and made it very hard to read. Furthermore, it didn't even let me copy/paste the question to a text editor to make it easier to read. The instructions for the test were very unclear, and I did not realize until several minutes in that we are allowed and expected to use STL for the test. Much of the test is just figuring out what library to import and use.

When you run the code, it is tested against several test cases with bad naming (test case name "backity back") that you can't see the output to. Not only is this unrealistic, it means you have to account for any error that may go wrong with the program, and the instructions don't tell you how to handle cases which may throw these errors. For example, if the program should only take alphabetical characters, the question has no instructions on how to handle numeric input when you know its probably one of the test cases. Since you can't see the output, you're left guessing on whether you're returning the correct error value or if you're even doing a correct test case.

Overall a pretty bad interview experience. Things were timely, but the recruiter was a bit rude and the coding platform and questions were pretty bad and could have been much more directly asked.

Interview Questions

• String counting question and a question to implement CD that is really just a string parsing question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The process for me took 2-4 weeks (depending on how you look at it). It started off with a call from an internal recruiter. Then I had an online times programming quiz, which was very difficult. The quiz I didn't do so well on, but it was followed by two phone calls with developers from the company. The second of which was a technical interview centered around a programming problem. Everyone was very nice in the hiring process and things were timely.

Interview Questions

• Aside from the quiz, which was two questions long, I was shown a snippet of code during one of the phone interviews and asked to walk through the debugging process of what was wrong. There was a stack/heap error.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox in January 2016.

Interview

Overall I think the interview process was unprofessional.
    Starts with a phone interview. Then they send you a 2 hour coding challenge. The platform they are using for the coding challenge is weird (it's not hackerrank). Plus they just ignore you after you submit the coding challenge (even though they promised to respond to you if you have issues with the platform). It would have been nice to, at least, tell me that I am not considered anymore.

Interview Questions

Roblox Response

Feb 8, 2016 – Director, HR

I'm sorry that you did not hear back from our recruiters. We strive to make sure our candidate experience goes above and beyond. We have learned that some of our emails have not been going through... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone screen interview with recruiter. She tells me right away that she does not feel that I am qualified for the position I have applied for but then recommends a position in C# (I do not have that on my resume).

Interview Questions

• How much money are you earning now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I took a programming test, after which I was asked a few questions about the way I went about solving the problems in the test. Once I had finished answering the questions, they hired me.

Interview Questions

• What would happen if you called this function re-entrantly?   Answer Question