RockYou Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RockYou Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2017

2.9

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at RockYou in June 2015.

Interview

The interview has three rounds. First was an algorithm code question. It's not hard. Second round was going through the resume and asked a lot of frond-end knowledges, MySql. Third round is about TCP, HTTPS protocol, previous project.

Director of Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RockYou (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and thorough in the beginning. After 4 rounds of interview, it looks like they got confused of their own needs. The process went for ~3 months. Met a bunch of VPs and a whole lot of Directors (Yes, there are a lot of directors at this company). At the end of wasting so much time, they didnt think it was important to tell the candidate one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• Som technical and mostly generic products related.   1 Answer

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RockYou (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was alright. The person who interviewed me was stuttering a bit so I think she was more nervous than I was. After the phone interview, she asked me to do a design test.

Interview Questions

• How would you monetize a gaming app to generate more revenue?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I interviewed at RockYou in May 2014.

Interview

Started with a half hour phone screen. The office interview was pretty relaxed, it lasted about 3 hours and I met with five or six different people. It was mostly a "fit" interview with a couple technical questions mixed in. Everyone is very relaxed there, it probably helps to have a similar attitude.

Interview Questions

• What is one change you'd make to a game of your choice? Be detailed.   Answer Question

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at RockYou (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Consisted of phone screens by HR & QA Manager. In-person interviews with all the teams you would be interfacing with. Was brought in for 2 days for a total of 6+ hours each.

Digital Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RockYou (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

had a phone interview, which lead to a group interview a couple days later. it consisted of everyone on the team i would be working with, so it was a little intense. they asked plenty of questions about flash, but i never got the sense that they disapproved. they were just really interested in getting to know me. afterwards at the end of the interview, there was a company activity that i was invited to participate in, which i agreed to. got the offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• i dont remember specifically, but there was a bitmap vs vector in flash question that threw me off, but they didnt get upset when i got it wrong, they explained why i got it wrong and were very upbeat during the process.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RockYou in December 2013.

Interview

RockYou came to our office and met with our product team. They asked questions mostly to the product owners, and then a very short interview with the others involving what their part in the product was. Shortly after, the people that RockYou liked had a 1 on 1 meeting with their HR about their offer.

Interview Questions

• What is your role in maintaining your product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RockYou (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

It was a 2 step process - First phone interview with hiring manager about job positions and some basic technical questions.
    Step 2 - onsite technical interview in which multiple engineers asked technical questions. Explained my current job role and how it matches with their job requirement.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about Analytics, BI reporting, HIVE, hadoop etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RockYou (Redwood City, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Very pleasant phone interview, talked about previous working experience.
    Onsite interview was highly technical, but interviewer was willing to help and communicate the problem.

Advice to candidates:
    Stay focused and try to communicate the problem. Reveal your thinking process clearly.

People I met in this company are very knowledgeable, supportive and easy going.
    Work culture is awesome, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

Interview Questions

• Reverse order of element in a linked lists.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RockYou (Redwood City, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I was contacted directly from a full-time recruiter at RockYou. They contacted me via linked in, and scheduled a phone interview with the recruiter for the same or next day. That interview consisted of questions about my history and skills, as well as a lengthy conversation about our favorite video games :)

After that, a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of their software architects. They said it would take about an hour, but it ended up taking about 20 minutes. He asked me a few basic questions about my history, a simple OO design patterns question about the singleton pattern (and how its useful specifically in PHP), and asked me how I would design the software behind a Tetris game. At the conclusion of that interview, he stated that he wanted to schedule an in-person interview with me. I got an email the same day from HR setting up the in-person interview for a couple days later.

The in-person interview was mostly a pleasant experience. It was a scheduled to last 4 hours, each hour consisting of a different set of two people interviewing me. They were all very friendly. Most of the time, I felt like I was just conversing with them about software engineering and the like. What I really appreciated is that it wasn't just questions about myself. They understood that they had to sell themselves to me as well, so half the time was spent talking about their company. They even took me out to lunch and paid for it. I was also offered all the snacks and drinks I wanted.
    The only complaint I have was the room they conducted the interviews in was quite warm.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes a vector( c++ lingo for an array or list) of edges, and 2 nodes: a,b, and returns true if there is a path from a to b.
      call signature would be: isConnected(Array edges, Node a, Node b).
      an edge is an object like this:
      Edge {
           Node a;
           Node b;
      }   1 Answer
    • Show how you would implement a collection class (from scratch without using php's array of course) that could do the following:
        -support push/pop
        -support key-based access (first with integer keys, and then with strings as keys, or even an object as a key!)   Answer Question
    • how would you implement c's strcmp() from scratch?   Answer Question
    • what is a singleton? how would you implement it? how is it useful in PHP? why not just use a static class?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me direclty what my salary requirements were, i gave them a range. When my offer came in, they offered the top of my given range, with a substantial bonus and stock options.