RockYou Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RockYou Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at RockYou in June 2015.

Interview

The interview has three rounds. First was an algorithm code question. It's not hard. Second round was going through the resume and asked a lot of frond-end knowledges, MySql. Third round is about TCP, HTTPS protocol, previous project.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for RockYou

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RockYou in December 2013.

Interview

RockYou came to our office and met with our product team. They asked questions mostly to the product owners, and then a very short interview with the others involving what their part in the product was. Shortly after, the people that RockYou liked had a 1 on 1 meeting with their HR about their offer.

Interview Questions

• What is your role in maintaining your product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RockYou (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

It was a 2 step process - First phone interview with hiring manager about job positions and some basic technical questions.
    Step 2 - onsite technical interview in which multiple engineers asked technical questions. Explained my current job role and how it matches with their job requirement.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about Analytics, BI reporting, HIVE, hadoop etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at RockYou (Redwood City, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Very pleasant phone interview, talked about previous working experience.
    Onsite interview was highly technical, but interviewer was willing to help and communicate the problem.

Advice to candidates:
    Stay focused and try to communicate the problem. Reveal your thinking process clearly.

People I met in this company are very knowledgeable, supportive and easy going.
    Work culture is awesome, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow.

Interview Questions

• Reverse order of element in a linked lists.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at RockYou (Redwood City, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I was contacted directly from a full-time recruiter at RockYou. They contacted me via linked in, and scheduled a phone interview with the recruiter for the same or next day. That interview consisted of questions about my history and skills, as well as a lengthy conversation about our favorite video games :)

After that, a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of their software architects. They said it would take about an hour, but it ended up taking about 20 minutes. He asked me a few basic questions about my history, a simple OO design patterns question about the singleton pattern (and how its useful specifically in PHP), and asked me how I would design the software behind a Tetris game. At the conclusion of that interview, he stated that he wanted to schedule an in-person interview with me. I got an email the same day from HR setting up the in-person interview for a couple days later.

The in-person interview was mostly a pleasant experience. It was a scheduled to last 4 hours, each hour consisting of a different set of two people interviewing me. They were all very friendly. Most of the time, I felt like I was just conversing with them about software engineering and the like. What I really appreciated is that it wasn't just questions about myself. They understood that they had to sell themselves to me as well, so half the time was spent talking about their company. They even took me out to lunch and paid for it. I was also offered all the snacks and drinks I wanted.
    The only complaint I have was the room they conducted the interviews in was quite warm.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes a vector( c++ lingo for an array or list) of edges, and 2 nodes: a,b, and returns true if there is a path from a to b.
      call signature would be: isConnected(Array edges, Node a, Node b).
      an edge is an object like this:
      Edge {
           Node a;
           Node b;
      }
      1 Answer
    • Show how you would implement a collection class (from scratch without using php's array of course) that could do the following:
        -support push/pop
        -support key-based access (first with integer keys, and then with strings as keys, or even an object as a key!)
      Answer Question
    • how would you implement c's strcmp() from scratch?   Answer Question
    • what is a singleton? how would you implement it? how is it useful in PHP? why not just use a static class?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me direclty what my salary requirements were, i gave them a range. When my offer came in, they offered the top of my given range, with a substantial bonus and stock options.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RockYou (Redwood City, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

They asked me some fundamental knowledge of OO concepts and development techniques with an impressive brain teaser question. that is:

Interview Questions

• There are five horses and five lane, you can compare them with a race which is allowed to 5 horses at the time. But you cant make any mark and dont know the exact result of them. You need to find out the fastest three from them. What 's your strategy?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RockYou in August 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by one of the company recruiters. He and I spoke for about 20 minutes about my work experience, etc and then he scheduled me for a phone screen. The phone screen was about 45 minutes, and I did not do too well on it. I expected as much, since phone screens can be more intimidating than a face to face interview.

They agreed to bring me in for an in-house interview. The interview was scheduled for 5 house, consisting of 6 or 7 different interviewers with 45 minute slots.

The questions asked in the different sessions were not overly difficult. Fibonacci, reversing a string, etc. I felt comfortable with all but one of the interviewers. There was one that I could tell from the moment they walked in the room that it was not going to go well because the person refused to look me in the face and was hesitant to shake my hand. Two big indicators that I used over the past 5 years to gauge candidates I would interview for my old employer was eye contact and the hand shake. I was shocked by the indifference exhibited by this one interviewer, and it set the tone for a bad 45 minutes.

Everyone else was great though. I got a very positive vibe from all of the other interviewers and I could tell that they enjoyed their jobs. I have turned down better paying jobs because I felt like those places were full of programmers who didn't enjoy their workplace. RockYou just seemed like a place where the employees enjoy working.

Interview Questions

• At your job, you get paid to attend meetings. The more meetings you attend the more money you make, but the meetings have to be at least 1 hour long to be counted for compensation. Many meetings start at the same time but vary in length. Write a function to figure out what meetings you should attend in order to make the most money.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for Relocation money and they gave it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RockYou in May 2010.

Interview

Asked tough design and logic questions.