Rolls-Royce Interview Questions in Derby, England | Glassdoor

3.7

173 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Summer Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online, then took the online tests and was invited to an assessment day in Derby. The assessment day consisted of a motivation interview, a technical interview and a group project. The technical interview was one hour long and the questions were very specific to Rolls-Royce and jet engines. The group project was quite fun though.

Interview Questions

• What are some of our clients?   1 Answer
    • What external regulations affect Rolls-Royce in terms of protecting the environment and what organisations decide on these regulations?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through the engineering lifecycle of a jet engine from the client's requirements to the production line   Answer Question

Graduate Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)).

Interview

Firstly, you must deliver a prepared 5-minute presentation on why you wish to join Rolls Royce and what you see are the challenges and opportunities for Rolls Royce in the future. You were then asked technical aspects on jet engine aircraft and basic engineering questions ((equations, root cause analysis, etc.) in an hour long assessment. Finally, there is a 30-minute long team exercise to construct a paper airplane, taking into account the costs of materials and the need to deliver a presentation at the end.

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I was emailed to be told that I had been invited for an assessment centre. The email was missing the assessment details attachment so I replied and asked for the attachment, along with some other questions. I was sent another email 48 hours later with the attachment but with no answer to my questions. 48 hours preparation lost.

We were greeted by a very friendly HR woman 30 minutes after the assessment centre was scheduled to start. We informally met the assessors then had a motivation interview/presentation, an application of knowledge interview and a group task.

Warning: They don't ask any competency questions in either interview. They also don't have a copy of your CV or online application & don't ask any questions about your achievements or you as a person. Just make sure you know about them.

Finally there was a group task which was hectic but fun. It is a case of who can shout the loudest I think.

They insist that it is a relaxed and informal day but the assessors can't help but seem uptight and formal. The two don't really match up.

The cherry on the cake was being told we were to hear back from them by phone with feedback within 48 hours. I spoke with another candidate who had received an offer by phone in 48 hours, but it seems that this rule only applies to people who were successful. I have received an email 4 days later telling me I was unsuccessful and to contact them for feedback.

Interview Questions

• What do you think a commercial department does? What airlines are our customers? What current affairs affect our business and how?   Answer Question

Engineering Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Half day assessment center with around 12 other candidates.
    I had to prepare a 5 minute presentation on 4 questions that I was given. I gave this presentation to one assessor, it was then followed by 20 mins Q and A of competency based questions. Just usual interview stuff, a lot about the company.
    Followed by a technical interview which was an hour with one assessor. Questions on pipe fluid flow etc, heat transfer ( I was asked at the start my favourite subjects so they could tailor the questions to that). Then question on turbofan engine and then one of an oil pump schematic. The assessor was very helpful and friendly. This was followed by a group exercise lasting 30mins. Had to make paper planes to a specification, doing costing etc, and then a 5min presentation.
    Overall good day and learnt a lot especially in the technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Whats the big trend in aerospace right now?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

3 parts, Innovation and Motivation interview (why you want to work for them, what you know about the company, why it would be a good place to start your career), technical interview ( technical knowledge in the areas you are interested in as well as in general) and the group exercise ( showing your teamwork skills)

Operations Management - Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Online application followed by online test. If you are successful you get invited to an assessment centre. It is a half day assessment centre now (approx 8:30 am til around 1pm). It is really quick, I applied mid Sept 17 and had my assessment centre by mid Oct 17 (4 weeks total). You hear back within 2 working days of the outcome. Unfortunately I didnt get an offer, but you get excellent feedback.

Assessment centre involves: motivational presentation (you get the topic beforehand) where you give a 5 min presentation and answer questions in a 1 to 1 environment. Make sure you know about the business and the role. Need is an interview. The interview is quite in depth and looks to see your motivation, your knowledge of the company, what the role involves and quite a few questions where you need to use the STAR approach (i.e. describe a scenario). You also have a short written case study where you are given a problem and have around 20 mins to read it and give your responses. Finally, its a fun group exercise.

I'd say make sure you fully understand what Rolls Royce does and what the role is about. If not you will struggle. But it was a good experience and the assessors are really friendly.

Interview Questions

• what do you think an operations manager deals with in a typical day?   5 Answers

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

30 minute motivational interview in which you are required to give a 5 minute presentation about a topic sent to you beforehand which is then followed by follow-up questions.

1-hour technical interview that is split in 6 sections where each sections tests different aspects of your knowledge.

A group exercise followed by a group presentation.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the environmental pressures affecting Rolls-Royce.   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was nice and interesting consisting of three sections.: the presentation (which was for 5 mins followed by questions), technical knowledge ( about 1 hour) and group tasks (30 mins) .The assessors were nice, friendly and supportive.

Interview Questions

• explain the modes of heat transfer?   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Day begins with a 5 minute presentation about yourself, followed by a half hour interview about your motivations and rolls royce knowledge.

Then there is an hour technical interview looking at different topics and tasks. It's all concepts covered in 1st and 2nd year so nothing too hard, and the examiner helps and prompts you along. Familiarising yourself with engines and basic concepts is a good idea.

Then there is a group assessment, they are looking for you to contribute but not dominate. The task is basically impossible to complete in the time limit so it's more about how you work together as a team than anything else!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to apply for Rolls Royce instead of similar competitors?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

The online application was followed by a online test which included situational judgement, numerical and personality test. At the interview there was a presentation where a few questions were asked afterwards. Then there was a technical interview and a group exercise. The technical interview consisted of competency questions and some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What problem did you solve recently as a engineer?   1 Answer