Rolls-Royce Interview Questions in Derby, England | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.6

Graduate Engineering Development Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Meet assesors
    Maths Test
    Presentation / Competancy interview
    Lunch with assessors
    Group task
    Technical interview
    Q&A

Made to feel very welcome but exhausting day being constantly watched and assessed. In the end was placed on the reserve list.

Group task was to make paper airplanes fir a ficticious airline company. Not a very enjoyable task but the key things they are looking for id communication skills and teamworking so focus on that.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The same assessment centre for graduate programme and summer intern.
    Full day assessment centre:
    10 min presentation about yourself to 1/2 assessors with 10 minutes of questions.
    2 competency questions in depth (20 mins each)
    Repeat online test
    Group task - e.g. plan a project and present to assessors, answering tough questions after
    Technical interview (PM methodology, tools and why we use them)

Project Controller's Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Dysfunctional. It was not well organised and it appears to be made up during the process. It was not structured. Perhaps they could work to make it informal

Generally I did not get a good feel of the company.

Interview Questions

• Not relevant. The questions had no relevance to the job   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

After submission of CV, Covering Questions and Online Test I was invited to interview at the assessment centre. The day itself was interesting but didn't inspire me to work for the company. The day involved:
    - Validation of Online Test Result
    - Presentation/ Interview
    - Group Exercise
    - Technical Interview
    I performed poorly in group exercise because I believe they were looking for what I would describe as an obnoxious form of leadership, and placed this is the highest regard.

Interview Questions

• Describe these engineering concepts in layman's terms...   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview with talent acquisition team - this consisted of standard fact-finding (confirming several CV details, salary expectations) and then some further questioning (for example, why choose Rolls-Royce? What is your opinion on finance shared-service functions?).

Invited to a half-day assessment centre that consisted of four main sections:
    1) 1 hour interview with 2-3 senior managers, a mixture of competency-based questioning, CV review and and Q&A on the roles available.
    2) 10 minute pre-prepared presentation to discuss a particular topic ("the importance of teamwork")
    3) 10 minute 'dragons den' style pitch based on unseen information. There is a 30 minute preparation time beforehand as there are several key requirements that need to be covered (for example, financial projections, product-launch/ go-to-market/ distribution)
    4) 20 minute numerical competency test - this was the least stressful element and comprised mostly basic algebraic questions.

In all there were around 10-12 assessors and additional HR representatives running the assessment day; all were friendly and welcoming while allowing plenty of two-way Q&A opportunities. The various assessment styles allowed for a demonstration of skills in different scenarios.

While the assessment centre process was a positive experience the overall recruitment process was extremely protracted and at times the lack of communication or updates became extremely frustrating (hence the neutral opinion on the overall experience). For example there was nearly a 3 month gap between the phone interview and the assessment day, during which time the roles were withdrawn without explanation and my application declared as unsuccessful. Following the assessment centre the hiring decision was announced by a generic e-mail roughly a fortnight later than we had been told to expect it. Finally the feedback only became available a further 3 weeks after the outcome. The feedback, however, was sufficiently detailed and constructive to be of practical future use.

In summary the interactions I had with the company were of a high quality but as a candidate experience it was unnecessarily long, lasting 4 months end-to-end. No offer on this occasion but application details were to be retained for future opportunities.

Interview Questions

• What value would your customers say your deliver to them? Would there be any significant challenge they would offer to that response?   Answer Question
    • In the context of a single factory/ site, give examples of the variables that would need decided upon, and examples of the inputs into a manufacturing site?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied with CV and cover letter.
    Got through to numerical tests and situational judgement.
    Got through to assessment centre with about 20 others, in derby.
    The morning consisted of a short presentation of 10 minutes about oneself. Then a numerical test, the same as the one online. There was then a group design challenge where we were split in to groups of 5, and we had a paper airplane model of business we had to replicate whilst supervisors were taking notes. The technical interview was after lunch, pretty tough.

Interview Questions

• How do we measure the hottest part of the engine?
      Explain how materials fail.
      Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

This will cover the assessment day.
    Competency interview: look online for ALL the competency questions available. I found around 50 and answered them all at home, in preparation. Noted, some of the answers are going to be relatively similar one to another and RR asked me between 5 and 10 questions. But this interview went surprisingly quick, I was the first one out.. to be point were I was really scared I screwed up. Not a great way to start the day, although I kept a positive attitude and move on.

Technical Interview: so the general view I found while preparing was.. you can't prepare. Not exactly true, depends on your character type. As always, be sure to tell the thinking process to the other person as you are thinking about the answer. If you are confident and quite talkative (like me) just behave as normal: say out loud what you are thinking, ask questions (!), put "maybe, could be, probably". Try to find the logical link. ie they asked me about a part located just after combustion, what it was, what material it was. I had no clue. So I started talking about blades, well this doesnt look like a blade, probably a blade holder? material lets see.. well high temperature, high pressure, metal that can sustain these temps.. titanium? my logical thinking was right, but the material was inconel (steel + nickel). So talk! for the other type, introvert, quiet, there is a solution. A friend of mine went a couple of weeks later and he's the introvert type. He researched up and down left and right about fatigue, materials etc (topics will depend on the position). At the start of this interview they'll mention what topic you like at uni and he intelligently mentioned the one he researched. He got asked about these topics. His feedback praised his technical abilities (obvs).

Group exercise: make sure to involve everyone, crack a joke every now and then. Ask for everyone's opinion. Be loud, in a controlled manner. Really liked the activity.

Ability test: same that you took online.

Presentation: you gonna be able to sing it. There's a good article on Forbes about Steve Jobs and his astonishing presentation skills. He wasn't born with them, he practiced for days beforehand. Once you read the script, repeat the presentation for at least an order of magnitude more time that the presentation itself; presentation of 5 minute? repeat it for 50 min. In this case, at least practice for 100 minutes. I didn't mention once during the entire day that I was interested in Aeronautical. Why? partly because it's true, partly because every average Joe is going to say that. Not gonna stand out. When writing my script, I put a big fat question, in capital, at the top: WHY WOULD THEY GET ME INSTEAD OF "INSERT HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL HERE"? You gotta find what makes you stand out. Worked abroad? excellent, blabla quickly adapt to different cultures and ethnicities. I can speak XYZ language, RR worldwide company, excellent.

Regarding order, it was Presentation, Competency, Ability test, Group, Technical for last.
    Hope it helps

Engineering Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)).

Interview

3 weeks overall. Great process. Nice, crisp and easy to follow. Well structured and lots of time to relax before the next task. One to one interview about yourself (prepared or improvised presentation about yourself - up to you which one you choose, I choose improvised), team exercise and a technical interview. All assesses were really friendly and helped along the way, especially in the technical interview which can be very challenging.

Interview Questions

• Description of the steps you take in an design process after requirements are set.   2 Answers
    • Here is a material, can you tell me what material is it from?   1 Answer
    • What happens if a rotation part within fan engine is not balanced properly. Followed by a Non-destructive techniques question.   1 Answer
    • Problems with the Trent 1000.   1 Answer
    • Who are some of Rolls-Royce clients? Which sectors they work in and what are they working on within your chosen discipline (civil, defence, nuclear, etc.)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Scheme is structured so no negotiation is required at this point. You can only affect which are you want to work in.

Purchasing Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Online application and testing then assessment centre with various stages - retesting, presentation on yourself, competency interview, group assessment, technical interview. Interspersed with networking lunch and Q&A with graduates.

A really intense day in general and the technical interview in particular was extremely challenging, however still enjoyable and the other candidates were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were pushed for time on a project and everything went wrong   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online as soon as it became open. CV, cover letter and simple answer to a question. Then had 7 days to complete 4 tests. They were numerical, logical reasoning, SJT and verbal communication tests. A week later I was invited to an assessment centre. This was quite tough as it was a whole day of interviews and tasks. There were technical and competency interviews aswell as a quite tough group task. Competency interview was quite standard with questions about myself. Had to prepare a presentation about myself to show off my abilities and answer questions about it. The technical interview was a test of though process and not really knowledge. But I would recommend reading up on any previous work relating to the field your applying for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...
      Explain to me why you made this decision
      Answer Question