Rolls-Royce Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

3.5

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and did all kind of assessment tests, like iq and situationall questions, in 2 days got called for an interview, scheduled interview for next day, got interviewed with behavioral an situational questions, next week got the job offerwhich I acceptet.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Columbus, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online for a posted position on their website. About 2 weeks after submitting my application , I got an email for a phone interview. Scheduled the interview. It seemed like it was conducted by a third party (not Rolls-Royce HR). The interview was only 30 minutes long. Standard questions.

Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Terre Haute, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

First had a face to face with one person interview. Had a second interview with a hiring manager two weeks later over the phone. Each interview lasted about 45 mins with very easy to no technical questions. Really tried to determine which engineering areas would be a good fit for them and the areas I was interested in working in.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to come up with a create solution and what was the result.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2013.

Interview

There was an on campus interview, then i had to meet with the team for an all day interview where we met with a bunch of people. Had to take two tests, do a presentation, and a group interview.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2013.

Interview

My experience with Aero Engine Controls (AEC) was nothing but exceptional. The communication from Rolls-Royce was efficient, well planned and professional. I was continuously impressed with detailed and prompt information. The culture at AEC seemed professional and yet friendly and relaxed. I was very pleased overall with my experience.

Interview Questions

• The good news about the interview is the questions weren't easy. They definitely test to see if you know your job. This was appealing to me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2010.

Interview

2 Peoples interviewed me on my college campus. One was taking notes while the other was asking questions.

Interview Questions

• How would to describe the use of a Free Body Diagram to a non technical person?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Online application with cover letter and CV as well as some information pertaining to permission to work etc. Thereafter there was a telephone call asking the following:
    - What do you know about the company?
    - What is your salary expectation?
    - Name your key three skills relevant to the role.

Thereafter I was invited to Derby for the interview. The panel was purely technical and the interview was highly technical, too. First, they bring out a schematic of a gas turbine and ask technical questions about the machine. These range from specific complex questions about their IP to basic fundamental questions relevant to your area of expertise. Secondly, they ask STAR type competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever failed some task or let someone down? How did you regain their trust?   Answer Question
    • Explain the operation of a gas turbine.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to go back to a problem because the first solution didn't work.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online in February, got invited to interview in April, after having completed an online assessment. Interview consisted of a competency based segment, a 10 minute presentation (on my skills and why I should get the job) without the use of a computer or projector. Then came the redoing of one of the online tests to validate my score. (This is negatively marked so don't just guess!) There was then the group exercise which involved designing 5 paper planes to a specification. My group did not complete the task but it's more about how you play a part in the team.

Finally came the technical or knowledge interview, which was a very tough part, they show you a picture of an engine and ask you to talk about it. You then get shown a list of topics and are asked to choose one to talk about for a few minutes and explain in as much detail as you can. I chose microstructure.

Interview Questions

• Explain one time you faced a challenge in the lead up to a deadline and did not complete the task.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview and hiring process was amazing. The recruiters I met in previous months encouraged me throughout the process and re-iterated what Rolls-Royce was seeking in prospective candidates. After being invited to an assessment day, I was also provided with overnight accommodation as I was travelling in from London. During the assessment day, I was able to engage with Rolls-Royce employees on numerous occasions to build on my knowledge of the firm, its customers and projects. The 30-minute group exercise was particularly challenging as we failed to effectively manage the time and consequently failed to complete the group task and adequately prepare the short presentation. In hindsight, I would avoid spending more than 10 minutes planning as there is no right answer and the aim of the exercise is to see how well the individuals interact. It is more important to make positive contributions to the group and deliver. The assessors were less than 2 metres away!

For the presentation and competency interview it is important to refer to your experiences on your CV and use these to demonstrate why you are a good fit for Rolls Royce.

Experiences in the technical interview are variable so the interview would heavily depend on your interviewer, entry level and role. I chose to discuss three topics I was quite confident in. The technical content can range from jet engines to fluid mechanics to statistics.

Interview Questions

• Q: Who are Rolls-Royce customers?   1 Answer
    • Q: What is the source of metal fatigue in materials?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

After submission of CV, Covering Questions and Online Test I was invited to interview at the assessment centre. The day itself was interesting but didn't inspire me to work for the company. The day involved:
    - Validation of Online Test Result
    - Presentation/ Interview
    - Group Exercise
    - Technical Interview
    I performed poorly in group exercise because I believe they were looking for what I would describe as an obnoxious form of leadership, and placed this is the highest regard.

Interview Questions

• Describe these engineering concepts in layman's terms...   Answer Question