Rolls-Royce Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

3.3

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2015.

Interview

I had a first round interview with HR where they asked me basic behavioral questions, except for a question where they asked me to name a current event and how it affects the company. It took them over two months to get back to me and schedule a second interview with an engineer. The second interview was much more lax with a few behavioral questions and questions about relevant school projects and previous experience.

Interview Questions

• What is a news article or current event that you have seen recently that would have an impact on Rolls Royce?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in November 2013.

Interview

Preliminary Communication with them is fairly strait forward. They call you up when they would like to interview you. When they call you up, they set up an interview time and from there you will interview with them over the phone.

I actually have two lists of the interview questions and grading scale & required response for each question.

To be honest, though, I would hate working for a company as formulaic as this. However, to each is his own. Screw the system.

Interview Questions

• 1) "Do you have an example of a time you were set (or you set yourself) some particularly challenging objectives. How did you go about ensuring they were met? What problems did you encounter? What was the result?   1 Answer
    • 2) “What do you think are some of the major Challenges we face as an organisation at the moment?” “What future events are likely to have an impact on the business of Rolls-Royce?” Why/how? Ask the candidate what opportunities and threats they think they raise, and what actions Rolls-Royce might take to address them. How do you think the dollar exchange rate is impacting upon the company at the moment? What can we do to mitigate it’s impact? Long term/short term?   1 Answer
    • 3) Tell me about a time when you were the only person who stood up for a particular cause or course of action and faced tough resistance. Why did you do this? What challenges did you receive? How did you deal with them? What were the results? What did you learn from this?   1 Answer
    • 4) Thinking about a time you were working in a team of your peers, tell me about a particularly difficult problem the team had to solve. How did the team approach the problem? What role did you play?   1 Answer
    • 5) Tell me about a time you’ve been given an assignment or task that you had never done before. How did this make you feel? How did you approach the problem? What were the time scales? How did you do? What was the outcome? Would you have liked to have done anything differently?   1 Answer

I received another offer from a more appealing company

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Applied on their website sometime in October and got an interview with them in February. First interview was on phone, lasted about 45 minutes and were mostly behavioral questions and what does RR do. About few days later got invited to on-day assessment in Indianapolis. They accommodated me very well and the night before the interview there was a mixer with about 15 other candidates and Rolls-Royce employees. The actual day of the assessment there was a presentation about my skills, 2 interviews, group exercises, math, reasoning tests and a discussion about your solution to the case study they give you. All in all, very difficult interview process. Make sure you know what RR does and be familiar with their products.

Interview Questions

• How did you convince someone with no authority?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Reston, VA).

Interview

1st round interview. Comprised of a basic STAR interview based on the company's 5 core values (buried on the website). Then discussion about the macro-level (SWOT) potential of the company.
    2nd Round interview. Presentation about self, strategy interview, behavioral interview, IQ test, math test, and group activity.

Interview Questions

• State a time that you had to influence others without any authority.

Where do you see the company in 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation since it was for an internship, did negotiate some on salary

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce in September 2012.

Interview

I applied to a finance internship at Rolls in fall and was contacted a few months later with an offer for an interview in the costumer support division. This was not what I was looking for but decided to accept the interview call and continue on with the application.

The interview was rather short and consisted of only behavioral questions. This included "describe a situation..." "walk me through your resume.." etc.

I felt that I had a very good interview with this HR representative and was told I would be called by one of the department managers in the upcoming weeks.

I was never called and after 3 emails and the passing of the hiring date I received an email saying I did not receive the internship at least 6 months later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were basically behavioral questions such as "describe a situation..." and "walk me through your resume..."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I took the online test on May 12th. Was told I passed that same day; CV review followed. Invitation to assessment centre received on the 15th. Assessment centre held 22nd.

The whole process began from about 9am and ended at around 3pm. There's some early on networking with your assessors, and then you're briefed on the day's schedule. The first part for me was the presentation and competency-based questions. Presentation should take about 10 minutes and then you're asked questions based on your presentation and CV, for the assessor to get a better understanding of you and your experiences. Next were questions about the company: Recent bad press, who are their customers, how do they currently sell their engines, challenges facing the company currently (economic, etc). This section ended with competency based questions along the lines of "Give an instance of when you had to influence someone or a group of people" and "a time you worked in a team and had to take a different approach to reaching goals". There are follow up questions and some advice on these scenarios based on your answers. At least there were in my case. This section is likely the easiest to cruise through.

Numerical test similar to online test, but now on paper. Not really challenging.

The group exercise was next and it was shocking, to be honest. You're tasked with choosing and constructing paper planes in your groups (of 5 or 6) and making a presentation at the end. Assessors are watching the whole period and take notes on each person. You're asked questions after the group presentation. It was shocking because there were overly aggressive members of the group who wouldn't give other people a chance to speak and would literally hijack suggestions people were making to make themselves appear to be the originators, or hijack tasks people had started on. Don't know how well that played out with the assessors, but it certainly ticked off group members. Try to keep to time throughout. You have about a half hour.

Finally, technical interview. Hands down the toughest part of the day. It starts off with generic "Why engineering?" or "Why Rolls-Royce?" or "What engineering experience do you have outside your coursework?" questions. Progresses to technical questions about failure modes, materials, functions, etc. You say what aspect of engineering you're studying and they ask you questions under that. I'm in Mechanical Engineering. The questions get progressively harder. I was unprepared for questions on pumps and floundered there, but most questions tie into aero engines so you want to be prepared for that. Talk extensively when answering and ask for clarification if you're unsure. My assessor here was alright for most of it, but he seemed exasperated at certain points. I'd been told that they want to see how you think and try to get to an answer, and sometimes guide you through. Nope. Didn't get that sense in my case. Just get the answer right.

At some point you get to ask people on the Graduate scheme some questions about the company. It's a chilled out session really, but you don't get any points for brown-nosing there so save your energy if you're the type.

Interview Questions

• Explain Bernoulli's principle.   Answer Question
    • Who are our customers?   1 Answer
    • How do we sell to customers?   1 Answer
    • Why is fatigue in the Aerospace industry extremely dangerous?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Interview

Assessment Centre: Presentation, Verbal Reasoning, Case Study, Teamwork exercise, Technical Interview. Overall nice experience, they give you time to talk to graduates from the same scheme and they try to make you feel comfortable. The assessors were really responsive, so I felt there was a two-way communication at all times and even if it was a day long assessment centre, it felt less tiring than some job interviews.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Whole day interview:
    - Morning : Presentation about myself + competency interview, Numerical reasoning test
    - Afternoon: Technical interview + Group exercise
    The assessment center takes place the whole day with various stages. Presentation about yourself where you sell yourself. Then competency questions where you explain how you reacted in certain scenarios. Group exercise to show how well you are able to work in a group. Finally technical interview to show the knowledge of your field

Interview Questions

• Q1: The temperature inside the turbine is 50 degrees than usual, explain possible reasons
      Q2: I was shown a nose cone from the front of an engine. I was asked to describe what it was, its purpose, its manufacturing, why this , why that..   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2015.

Interview

1 interview, face-to-face with the line manager.
    competency interview and some technical questions based on aircraft engine
    It is best to prepare on Rolls-Royce products and familiarise yourself with the work they do.