Rolls-Royce Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rolls-Royce Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Online Tests and application followed by assessment centre which involved two interviews, a brief presentation, a group excercise, a case study and more psychometric tests. The assessment centre was a streamlined day, technical interview was challenging but interviewer aided me through questions step by step if I couldn't get to the answer

Interview Questions

• Explain in Lehmans terms the forces acting on an aeroplane wing   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

We started off in the reception sat around with some other prospects. Then went for some coffee/drinks with the assessors followed by a presentation on what I could bring to the company and a repeat of the online numerical test which was just on paper. After the test we then had lunch with the assessors followed by the technical interview and a tour of the heritage museum.

Interview Questions

• When have you been faced with someone who didn't agree with you way of thinking?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The Assessment day involved a number of tasks including a 10 minute presentation you have to give about yourself and why you think you should work at Rolls-Royce and then moved onto competency questions. Then we had to to do another numerical reasoning test which is exactly the same as the application aptitude test but its supervised. then there was a group task and then a final technical interview.

The group task involved working with 4 or 5 others to build a bridge which lead a marble and a ping pong ball into a cup, what they are looking for is you to take part and show you can work as a part of a team. the technical interview covered a variety of topics including Bernoulli's equation, fluid flow, areo jet engines, cad design drawings and a final topic of your choice which you had to explain as if you were talking to someone who had no clue about engineering. I choose how stress effects a wing on an aircraft.

Interview Questions

• Competency questions: How did you deal with a difficult person or situation?. Was there a time where you showed initiative?

Technical: Explain Bernoulli's Equation, Explain how a aero jet engine works? explain how heat can affect the workings of a jet engine.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Online application form, assessment day including personal experience interview, group exercise and technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Where does RR not operate and why might we have chosen not to do business there   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Peterborough, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Very structured, pre-screen telephone call followed by face-to-face interview by line manager and department head.

Interview Questions

• No real surprises, the questions were competency based interview questions with a desire to explore my technical knowledge in relation to the role. Recommend that potential candidates bring along work examples as this would help provide evidence to support answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The minimum holiday entitlements were offered initially, however this is something that should be negotiated based on experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2012.

Interview

I was contacted at end of August to do a phone screen with the HR department. After that, I did another phone interview with the hiring manager two weeks later. I did not hear back until late October due to hiring manager's personal issues. Overall, the experience was good but the process takes too long. They decided to move forward with an internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really. Why do you want to work for Rolls Royce?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Filton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Filton, England (UK)) in April 2011.

Interview

About 2 months after I applied online, I was contacted to have an interview on-site. The interview was with the team leader and another mechanical engineer. First they asked some competency questions (e.g. give an example of a work situation where you had to act differently). It was followed by some technical questions based on the understanding of their work. There was a part about the function of different parts of an engine assembly, and another shorter part about manufacturing processes.
    I was told that I would be contacted within 3 weeks. I actually had to chase them myself after 6 weeks to be told the process had been delayed. After a further 4 weeks I had to contact them again and was promised to be updated that same week. The week after, still having heard nothing, I called back and I was told on the telephone that I would receive an email with an update within half an hour. I received an email about 2 minutes later saying my application had been rejected with no explanation whatsoever!!! Needless to say my request for an explanation is at this day unanswered.
    I enjoyed the interview, the technical people were nice and the job sounded ok although restricted to a small area of knowledge. However the engineers were really let down by HR and this honestly put me off. I will rate this as a negative experience because overall it didn't give me a good image of the company.

The company has expanded recently and has a lot of buildings, however the building this job was in was quite old and derelict.

Interview Questions

• Identify all the parts of a jet engine and explain their function   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce in April 2010.

Interview

The Phone interview was a case of jumping through the hoops to proceed to the next round. i.e. why I want to work for Rolls Royce, why i chose to study engineering etc etc. Then a couple of mental arithmetic questions, some basic engineering problems and talking about my cv which i submitted online.

Interview Questions

• Describe the degeneration process of carbon ceramic brake discs   1 Answer

I received an offer from a preffered firm.

Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Mount Vernon, OH) in April 2010.

Interview

Phone interview, was recruited directly by Rolls. Then they called me in and I had a series of three interviews. Took me to lunch and I was on my way.

Interview Questions

• Routine and painless. There were no really unexpected questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Aggressively negotiated salary and bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

Met the recruiters at my university's career fair. After introducing myself and speaking to the recruiter for 15 minutes I was invited to a mixer later that evening. After an hour at the mixer I departed and later received a phone call to interview with them on campus the following day. The interview was approximately 45 minutes long and consisted of mostly "what would you do if..." type questions following by open discussion.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain a free body diagram to a non-engineer?   1 Answer