Ross Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ross Stores Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

2.5

Associate Interview

Interview

Interview process was okay. They did not ask hard questions only simple questions. I did my interview in a group and not by myself. Went in pretty early and started pretty early.

Buying Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2017.

Interview

I interview for the summer internship buying position with Bert Stewart via facetime. It was very comfortable and the questions were fairly simple to answer and typical interview questions. I was not given an offer afterward however they were very courteous and did email me to let me know that were going to pursue other candidates instead.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some of the fashion trends you have noticed on your college campus?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

First round was a phone screening with HR, who seemed very mechanical. A few months later, I got a call from my recruiter for an in person interview with the hiring managers. It was about 2-3 hours meeting with 2 Directors and 1 VP. Since HR is in CA, it took a while to coordinate. Even then, they seemed very disorganized and told me that HR had scheduled my interview in Pacific Time instead of Eastern Standard Time, which made me a bit nervous, because the interviewers "reshuffled their schedule for me." However, the interview scheduled was sent by HR in a very formal manner with all the time stamps in EST. Anyhow, The interviews were very strange. The interviewers read from a list of questions and wrote down the answers. It was not like a regular conversational interview at all. There were awkward silences in between. I felt like I was interrogated. The interviewers seemed to have no personality except for one. Additionally, the company building was very dated and the cubicles had very high walls in between. Overall, didn't seem like a friendly environment. Very corporate but in all the bad ways - bureaucratic and full of red tape.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Riverside, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by both a store manager and the district manager. Both asked somewhat of the same questions related to current experience with customer service and dealing with clients and coworkers. Both were very nice and made great conversation. Both questioned my ability to handle conflict with customers and between associates.

Interview Questions

• Why have you heard about Ross?   1 Answer

Senior Production Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Met with a variety of people. List of people I met with:

- Director of Talent Acquisition
    - Hiring Manager
    - Manager of a cross functional team
    - Director of a cross functional team
    - VP of the hiring team
    - GVP of a cross functional team
    - SVP of the group

Everyone I met with was really nice, cordial, and some were even quite warm. But there was still a nagging doubt at the back of my mind regarding the company as a whole. The building is quite dated, as are some of the basic infrastructure (no wi-fi in majority of the building in the year 2017!)

Ross requested current pay stubs, referrals, and employment/education verification right after the first round of interviews, which I found to be quite early/unusual as well.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure you want to leave your current employer/role?   Answer Question
    • Are you cut out for this industry in Manhattan?   Answer Question
    • A 15% salary increase over your current pay seems to be quite high, why do you think you deserve that?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Houston, TX).

Interview

They called me about a week or 2 after I applied online. I went in for an interview, they told me about the background check. I was extremely excited about this interview. It was the perfect location right in between my home and my college campus. I wrote down my number and the days I was willing to work down for the interviewer. He told me that I'd get a call with the results on Friday. I never got a call so I waited the weekend and called them. I would ask to speak to a hiring manager, ask about a follow-up, they'd tell me they would call back and never did. I did this 3 times because I was so determined to have that job. It was very disheartening. I believe every employer looks for reliability and you yourself weren't reliable. Shame on you for not keeping your word.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Houston, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Waited in the employee break room until I was asked to write my name on a piece of paper. I assume this was the order in which we were going to be interviewed. When I was called in the guy asked about my availability and other questions like why I wanted to be an associate. He said they would call back and tell me if I got the job or not. No call. When I called they asked for my name and number and again never called back. Inconsiderate.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

I have been on tons of interviews with various companies and never have I experienced a more dysfunctional process like that of Ross. They made me go on 3 different on-site interviews. Each on-site I was meeting with just one person. I never had 1 point of contact, it was emailing the entire team that I had previously met with just to get an answer on next steps. They were terrible at providing feedback and even made me wait about 6 weeks just to let me know the position is going to someone else. I am not mad that I didn't get the position, but don't lead someone on, completely forget to answer their e-mails, and have them meet with just one person on each interview round. The entire Ross interview process was honestly a waste of my time and money.
    Ross' corporate office is a joke, the culture was depressing, and I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to apply for them. Hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for the same questions by everybody you will meet with because their entire interview process is unorganized.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

It was fine. Basic questions about fashion trends, different experiences with analyzing companies, and behavioral questions. Woman that interviewed me was the hardest part because she was very hard to read and not very friendly which threw me off a bit.

Interview Questions

• 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses?
      what's going on in fashion right now?
      Answer Question

Fitting Room Attendant Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

Submitted application in May and was called in September for employment. One phone interview which went well. Then the manager explained the dress code and hiring process: background check, wait for email, orientation next week. Well, I never received an email and I was unable to reach the manager. Ridiculous!