Ross Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Area Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day from the store manager. He went over my work experience, discussed the pay rate and asked why I left my previous employer. He asked to have a 1:1 interview with him the next day. The interview lasted about 30 minutes it was all about going over my experience and what the job entailed. Next step was the interview with the District Manager which was a few days later. He was very nice it was more like a conversation than a interview he was very impressed with my resume and went over a few things from my past work experience and offered me the position immediately.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous job?   Answer Question
    • What is your end goal with the company if you decide to join the team?   Answer Question
    • What would be the hardest part about transitioning to this type of work compared to your previous work?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you gave too much information.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Dublin, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I met with two folks on the team. The interview was very dry and there was no chit chat to help break the ice. They both read from a script and asked all the typical questions. Although I thought I had prepared well, I felt like I didn't have my talking points down.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about a time when you dealt with conflict?
      - What did you learn from this situation, and how did you use what you learned moving forward?
      - What was your greatest career accomplishment?
      Tell me about a time you had to use effective communication to resolve a situation?   1 Answer

Ross Stores Response

Sep 22, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry you didn't feel at ease during your interviewing experiences. Not all interviews are alike, but we hope you were able to use this experience as a learning... More

Assistant General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Winter Park, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

A very long process for a position in retail. I went to five different interviews before I was offered a job within the company only to be treated poorly after being hired

Retail Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Strange. Five of us were seated in a circle and the same question was asked of each of us in turn. This happened 4 or 5 times. There were apparently several other groups being interviewed the same day, so competition was intense but there were no private interviews. The company never called to say yes or no to passing the interview. Guess that meant no.

Interview Questions

• Which job do you prefer: Retail Associate or Night shift truck unloading?   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

had great conversation with all 10 interviewers all 10 times but was disappointed with their decisions when they advised i was rejected from the process because i was moving a missing part in my experience. Considering i made it that far in the process perhaps they could have screened that lack of experience in advance instead of spending 1 month and half.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Online application, phone interview, and in-person interview, take about one month.Candidates will interviewed by different managers from Ross. Including store manager, zone directors. Phone interview takes about 30 minutes. Difficult questions behavioral questions and really competitive

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garner, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Garner, NC).

Interview

I got a call from a manager, and set up interview. i was so excited because i had worked at Sears for over a year, and that is a harder job then working at Ross. Ross does not have a credit card you have to get customers to apply for, like Sears though. Since i had over a year of retail/cashier experience i kind of went in thinking the job was mine. I interviewed with two men. One was to serious, and the other was serious but a little nicer. I felt like the whole interview process was to serious. They would ask a question like name a time ____ and how did it make you feel. After i would explain, i would forget to say how it made me feel and the one serious manager would always say with somewhat an attitude "Yea, but how did it make you feel?". Or you would answer the question and they would still look at you to keep elaborating. Im sitting there like, i already said a whole lot! Bottom line i had more than enough experience to work there, and they grill you so hard in the interview that it makes you forget things, and nervous. After the interview i did not even get a call or e-mail stating in did not receive the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about you that we would not knowing just from looking at you?   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Ross Stores in April 2012.

Interview

Back in April, 2012 interviewed for a new store opening as Store Manager. The interview was held at a Panera Bread restuarant which was noisey and hard to concentrate. The district manager was rude and abrubt. No indication as to how I did because of the enviornment. No one every returned any of my phone calls. Then in late July 2012, district manager started calling my references and then offered me a position for a new store an hour away as assistant manager. Salary was Firm and when I accepted the position I had to drive to Naperville store for training. On my first day the training manager was rude and made several comments about my age and whether I could handle this position. They put me in a room by myself and told just read everything. When I had questions I could not find anyone to assist me. When I finally was able to ask questins, he training manager was rushed and made me feel "stupid" she rolled her eyes. I did not accept their offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you should get this position.   1 Answer

Due to their training manager who was rude and staff was unprofessional.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

After leaving my job at Macy's the first week of Feb I had an interview with Ross the following week.
    The corporate recruiter contacted me the week before to set up the interview, she didn't tell me exactly where she found my information but at the time I did not think to ask.
    I met her at their office in the high 30's and Broadway. Very nice building.
    I filled out an application (not sure why); never filled out an application for a corporate job, seems silly to me.
    I went in and we went over some basic information - past experience, what I learned from them, what would my previous bosses say about me, strengths, weaknesses, and some situational questions (what would you do if, how would you react in this situation, etc).
    The interviewer was very difficult! She was firing questions at me, not waiting for me to finish my last syllable. It made me so nervous I didn't answer some questions as I wanted to.
    The interview lasted about an hour. I thought it went pretty well despite me answering some questions wrong.
    They decided to fill the position from within which is annoying to say the least.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the biggest challenges you faced at your previous job? How did you handle it? Did you require any help from your colleagues?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Dublin, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Very through interview process for a corporate position.

The allocation department requires a 30 minute timed math test to start off with basic retail math. After there are 2-3 rounds of interviews back to back with different groups of managers. Took around 3.5 hours to complete the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Tell a time when you had to come up with a solution quickly that you could have better prepared for if you had more time/information.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

First round was a phone screening with HR, who seemed very mechanical. A few months later, I got a call from my recruiter for an in person interview with the hiring managers. It was about 2-3 hours meeting with 2 Directors and 1 VP. Since HR is in CA, it took a while to coordinate. Even then, they seemed very disorganized and told me that HR had scheduled my interview in Pacific Time instead of Eastern Standard Time, which made me a bit nervous, because the interviewers "reshuffled their schedule for me." However, the interview scheduled was sent by HR in a very formal manner with all the time stamps in EST. Anyhow, The interviews were very strange. The interviewers read from a list of questions and wrote down the answers. It was not like a regular conversational interview at all. There were awkward silences in between. I felt like I was interrogated. The interviewers seemed to have no personality except for one. Additionally, the company building was very dated and the cubicles had very high walls in between. Overall, didn't seem like a friendly environment. Very corporate but in all the bad ways - bureaucratic and full of red tape.