Ross Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018
1,094 Interview Reviews

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

I applied online and followed up in person. I received a call asking to come in for an interview within the next few days. The entire process took about a month.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores in October 2017.

Interview

Met at university career fair, submitted resume on our campus job site, was selected for an interview on campus. Recruiter was one of the nicest people I've ever met, made the interview very easy going. Was more of a conversation, no real interview questions.

Interview Questions

Ross Stores Response

Oct 17, 2017

Thanks for your review! We're happy one of our university recruiters made your experience delightful. Keep working hard and gaining experience, we hope to hear from you again.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and the hr person emailed me same day and was really eager and nice to do round one of interviews. Round one went really well which was a phone interview and it went really well. Then they set up my 2 final interviews. I go into the city and one of the people doesn’t even come. I met with this horrible girl who showed up late and just gave me blank stares. She told me if she still felt I was a good fit she would reschedule my other interview. I just don’t understand what went wrong. She told me she would be in touch in a week over a week went by and I didn’t hear anything so I reached out and we had a telephone appt that she called me 15 mins late to and said they went another candidate. Just really unclear. Horrible

Learning and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Dublin, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I only chose to write this because I'm sure that I am NOT the only one who has experienced this and I think it may be Ross's interviewing style and not associated with the individual that interviewed me.

But my experience was absolutely horrible. I specifically spoke with HR for a phone screening. I was an internal referral from a previous req and Ross realigned the req and my name was resurrected and given to the new HR account manager... as I was told.

The demeanor and set of questions felt like an interrogation and not an interview at all. Her responses were as if she was trying to talk me out of this role and discourage me, as she attempted to verbally assault my experience. I was in shock at the tone and questions.

During the call with her, I felt as if her unfriendly tones were an example of the culture at Ross. Especially since she is doing the screening for cultural fits. And this is not an organization I'd want to be apart of.

In summary, her tone was condescending and she did crossed the line of being rude, and she turned me off for this company's brand as a consumer.

Interview Questions

• In a condescending tone: Hmmm, Aren't you worried it comes off negative that you've only been at these other company's for such short times? Quite honestly, I would be.

What was your salary at your last company?

Her: Do you have any questions for me?
      Me: "Yes, I've done a little research, but what other companies are under the Ross brand, I've always thought "XYZ" was associated with Ross, but I didn't find any information to confirm that.
      Her: "Oh, wow. I would have thought you would have done your homework and came prepared…"   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

It was quick and the assistant manager asked questions that the company said she was supposed to ask. She asked for my availability and said I would get call back. Be prepared with examples of past employment.

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

arrive 15 min late, but the interviewer did not complaint about it, the whole interview lasted 30 min approx. I met with the store manager, she was a friendly person

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Called after submitting application which was followed by a small phone interview. An interview appointment date was set. Easy friendly conversation. Behavioral questions were asked first, then followed a opportunity to ask the interviewee questions.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work a job that is stressful?   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview

They take FOREVER in the interview process. They might have you meet with a team one person per interview (don't know why they can't schedule in one day and not waste your time) and drag it on for a month to two months and they might have you meet with other teams and drag it out even further. I did not feel their HR person was very professional at all. They do not provide timely feedback as to where they are in the hiring process, and you have to reach out if you are curious - they don't give updates on their own.

Interview Questions

• They ask questions related to the position you are applying for and want to know if you have off-price experience.   Answer Question

Ross Stores Response

Sep 18, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience for a Buyer position. We want candidates to feel like their time is being valued, but we also have to go through the... More

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lihue, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Lihue, HI) in September 2017.

Interview

Group interview with two other candidates. Each of us were asked one question and that was it. We then heard more about the scheduling process and were shown the stockroom where we were told we would be working. Told of the strict color scheme of the required dress code and that outermost layer of clothing must be royal blue. No uniforms provided and even though we are working overnight and stocking we weren't allowed to wear jeans.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sanford, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Sanford, FL) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received a call a few days later. I scheduled an interview with an Assistant Manager for the following day and had another interview with the Store Manager directly after (though this seemed to be unorthodox.) They began a background check and I was hired after I passed.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when store procedure worked well for you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you delivered bad news poorly.   Answer Question