Ross Stores Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

2.8

Location Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through my college and was asked to do a screening call. Then I was brought onsite at the New York office to participate in 3 separate interviews. Then I got the job offer.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strengths?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

Interview

First they did one on campus and then they do one in NYC. One on campus is a simple get to know you and the one in NYC you talk to several people.

Interview Questions

• What career do your friends and family picture you having? What are your career goals?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

First round was a phone screening with HR, who seemed very mechanical. A few months later, I got a call from my recruiter for an in person interview with the hiring managers. It was about 2-3 hours meeting with 2 Directors and 1 VP. Since HR is in CA, it took a while to coordinate. Even then, they seemed very disorganized and told me that HR had scheduled my interview in Pacific Time instead of Eastern Standard Time, which made me a bit nervous, because the interviewers "reshuffled their schedule for me." However, the interview scheduled was sent by HR in a very formal manner with all the time stamps in EST. Anyhow, The interviews were very strange. The interviewers read from a list of questions and wrote down the answers. It was not like a regular conversational interview at all. There were awkward silences in between. I felt like I was interrogated. The interviewers seemed to have no personality except for one. Additionally, the company building was very dated and the cubicles had very high walls in between. Overall, didn't seem like a friendly environment. Very corporate but in all the bad ways - bureaucratic and full of red tape.

Senior Production Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Met with a variety of people. List of people I met with:

- Director of Talent Acquisition
    - Hiring Manager
    - Manager of a cross functional team
    - Director of a cross functional team
    - VP of the hiring team
    - GVP of a cross functional team
    - SVP of the group

Everyone I met with was really nice, cordial, and some were even quite warm. But there was still a nagging doubt at the back of my mind regarding the company as a whole. The building is quite dated, as are some of the basic infrastructure (no wi-fi in majority of the building in the year 2017!)

Ross requested current pay stubs, referrals, and employment/education verification right after the first round of interviews, which I found to be quite early/unusual as well.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure you want to leave your current employer/role?   Answer Question
    • Are you cut out for this industry in Manhattan?   Answer Question
    • A 15% salary increase over your current pay seems to be quite high, why do you think you deserve that?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was easy. They just asked about schedule of availability. Have you tell them about yourself and your previous experiences. It's not difficult to get an offer at all.

Corporate Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Contacted by a team member on the team I applied for and had a phone screen with her. Then I had 2 one on one phone interviews (hour each). Finally they flew me out for a final round with the VP, and SVP. They worked with my schedule as I had another offer from a company in hand at the time. Very grateful for that.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was brief; questions were intended to observe your thought process and how you handle a difficult situation. There is no wrong answer unless you do not answer the question at all or redirect it by answering a different question.

Interview Questions

• What actions did you take when an event was not performing according to plan?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

I have been on tons of interviews with various companies and never have I experienced a more dysfunctional process like that of Ross. They made me go on 3 different on-site interviews. Each on-site I was meeting with just one person. I never had 1 point of contact, it was emailing the entire team that I had previously met with just to get an answer on next steps. They were terrible at providing feedback and even made me wait about 6 weeks just to let me know the position is going to someone else. I am not mad that I didn't get the position, but don't lead someone on, completely forget to answer their e-mails, and have them meet with just one person on each interview round. The entire Ross interview process was honestly a waste of my time and money.
    Ross' corporate office is a joke, the culture was depressing, and I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to apply for them. Hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for the same questions by everybody you will meet with because their entire interview process is unorganized.   Answer Question

Associate Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

After speaking to a recruiter in person, I was called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was extremely pleasant, the interviewer was nice and had been in contact with me several times beforehand so I was familiar with her and it wasn't a completely new person. Asked a lot of questions about personal experiences regarding the type of work to be done in the planner position and asked about instances where you used your skills listed on your resume. Overall very nice and I felt comfortable.

Interview Questions

• What kind of problems have you solved using your analytical skills?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was relatively fast and easy because they were in demand for cashier at the moment. The hiring manager was very friendly and easy to talk you. He did not make it too long just about 5 minutes long.