Ross Stores Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ross Stores Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Memphis, TN) in January 2017.

Interview

I am glad I had the opportunity to meet you in person last Friday. After our initial phone interview you made me very interested in pursuing a career with Ross. That all changed last Thursday and Friday. I attempted to clarify the meeting time and place for our second interview and was lead to believe it was scheduled for 1/19 at 2:00 pm because you confirmed that it was the correct date and time. When we spoke on the phone on the 19th you stated that I did not call or show up or say "kiss my dog" or anything and it was your intention to make it look like it was my mistake, when it was actually yours. But I still wanted to hear about the opportunity so I agreed to meet you the following day. Like the previous day, more follies continued when I arrived at 10:00 am for our scheduled interview. You admittedly made a mistake and scheduled my interview at the same time as your new store conference call. After you called me by the wrong name, "Bruce", you asked me the same questions that we discussed on the phone for 45 minutes during our initial conversation/interview. During our interview/conference call I felt as if you did not listen to my answers or our conversation due to the ongoing conference call chatter in the background on one of your two cell phones. After you completed the conference call the store tour/walk was very informative and interesting, and at this point I was still willing to forgive the circumstances and see what opportunity you had available for me at Ross. When we returned to the office and you called me by the name, "Bruce" again I had the feeling that this would not be an environment that I would be happy to work in. Then came the news that since I didn't show up or call the previous week for the interview that you made a mistake in scheduling that you had hired someone for that position. I should have walked out of the interview several times due to your lack of professionalism but this was the last straw. I was not going to respond to your request for the references and my intentions to continue the process, but since you texted me and emailed me I thought it was appropriate for me to respond to you and tell you why I would not consider working for you or the Ross company at this time. I have accepted a position at another company and I am looking forward to this great opportunity. I wish you success and I hope that any future candidates for Ross do not have to experience the same misfortunes that I went through during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• situational, leadership, team, expenses, profit, merchandising, experience   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ross Stores

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New Orleans, LA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very long. 4 total interviews for external hire into SM position. Not hard, just enduring. Interviews with DMIT, DM, Zone Manager, and Regional Vice President. Wanted to get perspectives on the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Strengths/weaknesses, behavioral situational questions in differently levels   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McAllen, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ross Stores (McAllen, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Local interview with district manager, Zone director and then final review by district manager. At the end had a conversation with training store manager abou expectations. After 3 days got the job offer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

It was very easy like you are having a conversation versus and interview.nothing intense very friendly and helpful team and always strive to look out for talents across USA. Never made me feel nervous overall friendly staff and zone administrators.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Greenville, SC) in October 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the District Manager and a Store Manager who was the next in line to become a training District Manager. I was referred by a friend. We had a great two hour interview/ chat, however I was never offered a position with the company even after a subsequent phone interview with the Zone Director. I did receive a phone call from the DM months later to inform me I was still being considered and that he appreciated my patience. Several months after this he promoted an existing Assistant Manager to Store Manager in this immediate area, begging me to ask the question why I was even granted an initial interview if the company favors internal candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation you encountered in one of your past jobs where you had to assemble a team quickly.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

4interviews over the phone after 1 in person with the DM they mostly asked similar questions and it was obvious that some were just routine, dm stayed in touch by email the whole process . was offfered the job and contingency offer

Interview Questions

• mostly qustions about hr and team development   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I was promoted from an ASM position to a full-time store manager via the college recruit process. The process was quick and relatively easy. Ross is a great company headed for big things.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Portland, OR) in May 2014.

Interview

Had to interview with 5 people, started with the DM, then got another interview with HR person, then the Zone manager, and finally the regional VP. After three days I received a phone call with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Denver, CO) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was courteous and prompt. DM conducting the interview was very professional and spoke highly of the company.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

.Had a DM and an ALPM interview me. It was more of a conversation with me than an interview. The half hour interview lasted an hour and a half. I was very confident when I left the interview. It was the most interesting interview I had ever witnessed. We talked about camping and hiking. Some of the great camping sites that the DM or I had visited. It was a very light interview and friendly interview. They told me that they would get back to me, and they did. My references were vetted, and then I had a Zone Director's one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• .The usual questions. Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer. What did I do to solve and take care of the customers problem or concern. Is the customer still shopping at my store? If yes. Then that was great.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was a give and take. I told the DM what I was currently making, and the DM literally laughed and said that they didn't pay that much for a Store Manager, and offered me $10,000 less for the job. I continued on, and the Zone Director didn't even blink an eye on the pay I requested, and gave me what I had originally asked for.