Rovi Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

2.8

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rovi (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied to the profile in their careers website . Got an email asking for availabilities to schedule for an online coding test. The test went for an hour and has questions mainly related to the job description. After that had a call to speak to the director of Engineering. After that received an onsite call invitation in their Rovi office at south Boston. Onsite call went for almost 4 hours. Questions were related to data structures and algorithms. People were really good and friendly. HR walked me through the entire place and made sure everything was fine.
    Overall process was very smooth and HR was very prompt at getting back and took almost 10-15 days.
    Received an offer the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Linked List and String questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer was good enough and I accepted. I am sure they were open to negotiations.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rovi in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter to have a one hour talk with one of their data scientists. When I was talking about myself for 30 seconds, she interrupted me and asked me whether I prefer Python or R. I said the ecosystem of both are pretty good for data analysis and preferred python If I have to. This is because Python is the more object-oriented programming language and you can make your code into production if possible. Then she said R is also objective-oriented. I said, I knew, but I have never written an R object but mostly been dealing with functions. Then she asked me two of my favorite packages in R. I said glmnet and forecast. Then we started to talk about how to do cross-validation on time series data because of the package forecast. I talked about one approach like moving windows, but got interrupted by her because she did not listen clearly to what I said and she started to question my approach. Then we were talking about a spark project I did, and she asked me what parameter I used for the iteration? Totally unclear question. Then she asked me a humiliating question like, did you do this project? Then she said 'we have 2 minutes before I had to run for a meeting. Go ahead and ask me any question.' The interview was like one hour, and she left me 2 minutes to ask questions - instant worse experience.

Overall, the experience is bad. I got interrupted by her all the time. For example, while I was answering her question, she would stop me and ask me another question without giving me any feedback. The position is titled as data analyst, but they are looking for data scientists with experience both in statistical analysis/machine learning and big data tools.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Rovi (San Jose, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume via a contact. It took a month for someone to reach out to me. When I received a phone call from a Talent Acquisition Specialist, I could tell she was very junior. She did not ask me if it was a good time to speak, so I had to hurry to find a private spot to talk to her. Her tone was that of disinterest, which I feel was because she viewed this as an obligatory call (being that I was an employee referral). This "Specialist" focused mainly on the fact that I have done contract work versus being a full time regular employee. She did not ask me one question about my experience and skills. Overall I felt that she was looking for reasons to reject me rather than skillfully interview me and see if I would be a potential fit for this role. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Why have you been a contractor so long?

What is your education? I don't see it on your resume.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rovi (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Extremely disjointed; read from a script, interviewed by people that didn't know the position and wouldn't have known the questions to ask, nor how to decipher the answers when given.

Interview Questions

• One of them was the standard bs of where do you see yourself in 5 yrs...   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rovi (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Long and drawn out. I had 2 phone interviews before meeting in person. When I spoke to each individual, they never once question me about my skill. It was like they were interested in having a warm body in a seat. When I finally arrived for the in-person interview, the two guys who interviewed me didn't have a clue why they were interviewing me. I'm not sure that they were concerned that I was qualified. Overall, a waste of 45 minutes.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rovi.

Interview

Normal flow initially, Sr. Recruiter ended up being unprofessional in the end (in my view). I state this because both Rovi and I invested our time and energy in the due diligence process and in my view I had everything and more to offer. The problem was compensation, they had no clue what they needed for the role, and in my process I perhaps gave them guidance on what it would take for Rovi to bring on great caliber of people.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rovi in July 2015.

Interview

An initial phone interview with a data scientist in the team, going through your resumes and projects. Invited onsite with three data scientists and a software engineer. Initially I was told to wait for about a week for the final decision, then was told to wait for another week, then another few days. I sent my coach receipt to them and they never get back to me for reimbursement.

Interview Questions

• questions on projects and resumes and machine learning conceptual questions.   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rovi (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview includes phone interview and office interviews. The office interviews have 4 interviewers, 1 HR, 1 manager, 1 team members and 1 director. The offer was made the next day.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rovi (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Positive experience. The HR was very prompt in replying to emails. First arranged a phone interview within 2 days. The phone interview took about 45 minutes where the interviewer talked about the expectation, role and encouraged to ask questions. Basic questions on programming concepts, experience level, projects worked on. Its good to have some numbers / statistics on hand of the complexity of projects you have worked on, to give them a better insight into your work.
    Received an email within hours from the HR asking for time for personal interview.

HR arranged a personal interview for the next week. There were 5 interviewers and each interviewed for 45 minutes to an hour. The focus is on your knowledge, understanding of concepts, problem solving ability. This was around afternoon, so they brought in lunch for me (a great sandwich!). The HR in the end, explained the benefits, policies and also gave a tour of the workplace.

Received an offer the next afternoon.
    The entire process was extremely smooth. Everyone was very cordial, polite and professional.

Interview Questions

• Programming Questions. (in any language you are comfortable with.)
      Given a bunch of ordered/sorted numbers (say in an array), what would be the best way to shuffle it.   1 Answer
    • Concepts - Explain Hashmaps in Java, Explain concept of a queue.   Answer Question
    • Talk about your prior experience.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rovi (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial screen and a technical interview on site. The initial screen included some technical questions and the on site interview was primarily technical with about three hours of questions that ranged from coding to how I would analyze data.