Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

Product Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warsaw (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Warsaw (Poland)) in February 2017.

Interview

There were two interviewers: team leader and manager from London. The questions were difficult but everything that you can expect recrutuing on such position. It takes about 40-50 minutes. The main questions about financial products, clearing houses, swaps, middle office and your examples of analytical and problem solving skill.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

There were 7 rounds of interview.

1) Written test. Some questions were MCQ and some of them were descriptive.

2) Written test. There were questions on coding. There were 4-5 programming questions. I had to write programs for them.

3) Face to face discussion.

4) Face to face discussion again.

5) Face to face discussion again.

6) Business Management discussion.

7) HR round finally.

Interview Questions

• 1) Garbage Collection
      2) Write your own LinkedList impl.
      3) Shuffle Playing Cards and distribute to the players.
      4) Indexs
      5) Deadlock
      6) Cocurrent collections
      7) Concurrent Synchronizers
      8) Write a singleton Cache   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

1. Application process is simple and straightforward, can take time from job closing to get an interview and varies 1-4 weeks
    2. Interview Stage
    - The interview process is well defined in RBS with clear guidance given on the competencies that are required (people standards for all roles)
    - Format is standard a) Introductory question b) Competency based questions (normally 3 or 4) followed by c) Technical questions (If job move is lateral in same function usually not required, every one else should expect technical questions related to role)
    - Answers should be presented in STAR format (Situation, Task, Action and Result)
    3. Post Interview
    - Interview result notification can take 1-4 weeks depending on quantity and quality of candidates
    - If successful there is a screening process and a few HR loops to go through, so on-boarding can take a further 2-3 weeks post interview notification

Interview Questions

• 1. When making a decision that has a wide impact across different parts of the bank what factors do you and your team typically consider?
      2. When have you had to make a decision or develop a solution which had long term benefit but actually made things more difficult for your team in the short term?
      3. Tell me when you have been responsible for achieving business change through collaboration across different parts of the organisation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had to negotiate hard as it was an internal move and promotion, they offered a 7% pay rise which meant I was 18% lower than the external market rate. Advise is to look at market rates first and be strong in seeking out this as a minimum start point. They will use tactics to negotiate a lower salary like "We need to get the CFO to sign this off as it's above a salary inflation threshold of xx%" don't be put off just say okay and ask them when they expect to receive the CFO approval?

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Boston, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

It was a three month process. I interviewed six times with my immediate supervisor and the executive for whom I would be working. They asked the same questions over and over and intimated that the gentleman was difficult with whom to work. I was fingerprinted and underwent a complete background check.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if your executive told you to do something right away but you were working on a deadline on something else?   1 Answer

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

the interview was competency based and conducted by 2 colleagues, one of whom I already knew. The competencies and levels expected are published - probably available to external candidates too - and you are expected to prepare in advance. Personally, I struggle with this type of interview and my preparation was inadequate. I would say that the competencies are something I do/use every day but abstracting them from my daily work is tricky. They're looking to be able to tick some boxes from your responses and the person with the most ticks is usually the winner.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you influenced the outcome of a process? What did you do?   1 Answer

Media Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Did my research and was able to answer quite a few of the questions thrown at me. Think that irritated one of my interviewers who threw a ridiculous question - what do you think our CEO thinks of the company - at me?! This along with other questions asked of me would make this one of the hardest interviews I have ever encountered - and I have interviewed A LOT trust me. At one point when I answered the question to the best of my ability I was told that I had not answered the question properly.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a written test conducted for CICS, JCL, DB2 and COBOL (Each topic has a separate test). The test can be taken from any sify center. The test is very tough and tiring. The number of questions are not fixed. As you keep answering the questions keep appearing till the time ends. Next is the face to face interview which has 2 rounds. The is a generic communication, personality round. The second is the final technical round. In this situation based questions are asked. Like how would you design for this requirement, How would you handle this issue, etc. Then the HR round.

Interview Questions

• The written test was the most difficult and unexpected one. I haven't expected to pass through but I had fared with very good score.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes I was able to. As I already had an offer in hand it was easy for me to get what I had asked for. Negotiation is mandatory to get a good pay in RBS as far as I know.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in December 2010.

Interview

3 technical rounds
    2 managerial rounds
    1 hr round

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current company?   1 Answer
    • You are selected. Can we discuss your salary package?   1 Answer

Negotiation

went well

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in February 2017.

Interview

There were 6 rounds
    1.Written test(MCQ from spring, Hibernate,struts and core java)
    2.F2F technical (Mostly from the technology written in your resume)
    3.Design Round
    4.Design discussion F2F
    5. MR
    6.HR

All the rounds were conducted on same day.

Busineess Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview made up of questions to display logical thinking, job competencies and transferable skills, as well as commercial awareness. Commericial awareness focused on both the banking industry as a whole, and more specifically the business function I was being interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the colour yellow to a blind person.   1 Answer