Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

There were 7 rounds of interview.

1) Written test. Some questions were MCQ and some of them were descriptive.

2) Written test. There were questions on coding. There were 4-5 programming questions. I had to write programs for them.

3) Face to face discussion.

4) Face to face discussion again.

5) Face to face discussion again.

6) Business Management discussion.

7) HR round finally.

Interview Questions

• 1) Garbage Collection
      2) Write your own LinkedList impl.
      3) Shuffle Playing Cards and distribute to the players.
      4) Indexs
      5) Deadlock
      6) Cocurrent collections
      7) Concurrent Synchronizers
      8) Write a singleton Cache
      Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

1. Application process is simple and straightforward, can take time from job closing to get an interview and varies 1-4 weeks
    2. Interview Stage
    - The interview process is well defined in RBS with clear guidance given on the competencies that are required (people standards for all roles)
    - Format is standard a) Introductory question b) Competency based questions (normally 3 or 4) followed by c) Technical questions (If job move is lateral in same function usually not required, every one else should expect technical questions related to role)
    - Answers should be presented in STAR format (Situation, Task, Action and Result)
    3. Post Interview
    - Interview result notification can take 1-4 weeks depending on quantity and quality of candidates
    - If successful there is a screening process and a few HR loops to go through, so on-boarding can take a further 2-3 weeks post interview notification

Interview Questions

• 1. When making a decision that has a wide impact across different parts of the bank what factors do you and your team typically consider?
      2. When have you had to make a decision or develop a solution which had long term benefit but actually made things more difficult for your team in the short term?
      3. Tell me when you have been responsible for achieving business change through collaboration across different parts of the organisation.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

I had to negotiate hard as it was an internal move and promotion, they offered a 7% pay rise which meant I was 18% lower than the external market rate. Advise is to look at market rates first and be strong in seeking out this as a minimum start point. They will use tactics to negotiate a lower salary like "We need to get the CFO to sign this off as it's above a salary inflation threshold of xx%" don't be put off just say okay and ask them when they expect to receive the CFO approval?

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Boston, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

It was a three month process. I interviewed six times with my immediate supervisor and the executive for whom I would be working. They asked the same questions over and over and intimated that the gentleman was difficult with whom to work. I was fingerprinted and underwent a complete background check.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if your executive told you to do something right away but you were working on a deadline on something else?   1 Answer

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

the interview was competency based and conducted by 2 colleagues, one of whom I already knew. The competencies and levels expected are published - probably available to external candidates too - and you are expected to prepare in advance. Personally, I struggle with this type of interview and my preparation was inadequate. I would say that the competencies are something I do/use every day but abstracting them from my daily work is tricky. They're looking to be able to tick some boxes from your responses and the person with the most ticks is usually the winner.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you influenced the outcome of a process? What did you do?   1 Answer

Media Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Did my research and was able to answer quite a few of the questions thrown at me. Think that irritated one of my interviewers who threw a ridiculous question - what do you think our CEO thinks of the company - at me?! This along with other questions asked of me would make this one of the hardest interviews I have ever encountered - and I have interviewed A LOT trust me. At one point when I answered the question to the best of my ability I was told that I had not answered the question properly.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a written test conducted for CICS, JCL, DB2 and COBOL (Each topic has a separate test). The test can be taken from any sify center. The test is very tough and tiring. The number of questions are not fixed. As you keep answering the questions keep appearing till the time ends. Next is the face to face interview which has 2 rounds. The is a generic communication, personality round. The second is the final technical round. In this situation based questions are asked. Like how would you design for this requirement, How would you handle this issue, etc. Then the HR round.

Interview Questions

• The written test was the most difficult and unexpected one. I haven't expected to pass through but I had fared with very good score.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes I was able to. As I already had an offer in hand it was easy for me to get what I had asked for. Negotiation is mandatory to get a good pay in RBS as far as I know.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in December 2010.

Interview

3 technical rounds
    2 managerial rounds
    1 hr round

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current company?   1 Answer
    • You are selected. Can we discuss your salary package?   1 Answer

Negotiation

went well

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Online test and phone interview which lead onto a whole day assessment centre that involved multiple components both individual and group assignments/tests. Also included a more traditional interview. 7 other candidates were there for the assessment centre that day. All expenses were paid to get to Edinburgh.

Inclusion Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Interviews at RBS are competency based aiming to assess people against a predefined criteria. Competencies are usually based around skills, behaviours, knowledge and attributes that are necessary for someone to perform effectively and be successful in a job.
    It's also your opportunity to ask Questions about the role
     – eg how might it be measured
    - Questions about the company culture/environment
    - Questions about where the company is going

For a promotion to a Manger level role, there is often a written interview requirement

Interview Questions

• They tried to establish my personal interest in the role by asking questions that would confirm whether I had any knowledge of (I.e. had done any research of) the area I wanted to work in - e.g. by asking me about a resent news story (in the British news) which was around Gender driven quotas and my thoughts on these. This was slightly less from a competency based perspective, but hopefully useful.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Mumbai (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview level is good, they would probably grill you in the global economic affairs, they'll ask everything so u need to be really updated to crack this one.Interview process is slow,they took 10 days to reply back for 2nd round result.