Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

Capital Markets Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

Applied online through campus career site. After about a week got an on campus interview. Interview was mostly behavior and just trying to get to know you. Interviewer was very nice and was pretty relaxed. I only got asked one technical question, how would you assess the credit of a company?

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What would you look at when looking at the credit of a company?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied to one job, but qualified for a few so I had two interviews by two teams. I applied online and a RBS rep got back to me within a week. The process took three-four weeks from application to interview. Interview was fairly easy. The only difficult part is that you are being interviewed by 2 teams of 3 people performing 3 different functions so it's hard to cater to one function and show why you are a good fit.

Complaint is that RBS HR at the Stamford, NY is incredibly slow from application, interview, and response. They did not even reply with a definitive yes or no. Look, if you're scared of hurting my feelings, I can deal with rejection, but I cannot get back wasted time so please don't waste my time on my job search.

Building is state of the art. They have a large trading floor, gym (with sauna), food courts, and roof top dining.

Anyone would be lucky to work there because the building is great, but RBS is a dying company and shrinking its US presence...just read what the CEO is saying. Anyways upwards and onwards.

I didn't like some of the WASPY characters and I knew I wouldn't get it because of a lack of diversity in the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what brings you into RBS today.   1 Answer

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in October 2014.

Interview

For the first round, I interviewed with an associate and a managing director over the phone. I was invited for a Super Day at the company a few weeks later. There, I had two interviews, both with two people. The first interview included a vice president and the associate who was on the first phone call. The second one included a vice president and a managing director.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call within two weeks telling me I was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview only took about 30 minutes and was mostly personality/skills based questions. Three days later I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to their onsite location to finish the interview process. I interviewed for about an hour in a half during their onsite interviews and received a notification about two weeks later saying I was hired.

Interview Questions

• How many pancakes are eaten on any given day in New York City   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Interview

Typical interview, nothing exceptional, it was a 1 off role for a one off project. So nothing should be read into these comments for new recruitment. It was professional & they are a professional organisation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

First round phone interview- FIT questions
    Second round at Stamford office- focus once again on fit

Interview Questions

• Nothing that was completely unexpected, it was more of a conversation   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

I met with a total of 4 individuals when I interviewed for the firm. All of the questions were related to what the current role entailed and my background and professional experience.
    I met with the Managing Director, two of the VPs and another analyst. They were all very professional and laid back. No major surprises, as long as you know your information and can back it with real examples you will be fine.

Coverage Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

They actually interviewed me for two positions without letting me know. the other senior was the head of sales of the branch. He asked many technical questions on bonds and derivatives and I was only partially ready for it

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT).

Interview

I started working at RBS as a contractor and then was hired as a full time employee, as are many contractors. At the present time, the company is trying to eliminate contractors since they are more costly than are full time employees, which RBS doesn't pay well.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions: it was simply a matter of "do you want the job or we will get rid of you".   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation - here's the pay, take or leave it.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in February 2014.

Interview

2 Interviews - One phone, one on campus. Phone interview was very laid back, mostly gauging personality and walking through resume. Typical "can I sit next to you for 12 hours a day" interview. Second round a bit more intense, but again laid back. Pitch an idea. Tell me about the market, etc. One or two behaviorals if I remember correctly, but the rest was just shooting it with the interviewer. Very satisfied with the interview experience and unexpectedly got the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Accepted after about 2 weeks