Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2017

RBS Global Banking & Markets Program (GBM) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

After submitting my application/CV through my university career website, I was informed that I was given an on-campus interview. The interview consisted of a 2:1 interview, with a recent grad from my university who was working where I applied, and a senior member from another office. The interview was about 30 minutes, and was mainly fit (they did toss a brain teaser in as well). On the whole, the interviewers looked for primarily people centered and educated in finance, and a strong background and prior work experience in either investment banking or capital markets seemed to be extremely advantageous.

Interview Questions

• I don't see anything on your resume that would lead me to believe that you are interested in investment banking. Can you please explain why you want to work in the field?   1 Answer

Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

Interviewed through College Career Center, was a 2:1 interview, asked mostly fit based questions had me walk through my resume, finished up with some general market questions and my opinion of where the market might be by the end of the year, finished up with further description of the position.

Seemed to really click with 1 of the 2 interviewers, was not invited for a 2nd round

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a recent assignment/project that you found difficult, and how you approached completing it?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in June 2010.

Interview

The phone interview was basic resume dissecting. Then the candidates are invited to the office where there is a rotation with two employees and a tour of office. Everyone was nice some technical questions and personal questions. The company has great facilities and good people. I heard from another candidate that they picked him up from airport and paid for his hotel.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in May 2010.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, first with the direct manager and her associates. An interview - at a later date - with the division head. I believe that the first interview was to assess my abilities and competence in the field, and that the interviewers discussed among themselves my background. Afterwards, the second interview was simply to see if the division head liked me.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in October 2009.

Interview

The interviewer was cold and asked few questions. Not very interested in the process. Did grill me on parts of my resume. Be prepared to talk about modeling and other financial pieces. Other than that I just ran through my resume. I am not sure what she was looking for exactly. Did not give me much time to ask her questions.

Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

First round interview consists of fit questions. It was 2 interviewers at once, one from sales and the other from trading. They asked basic market questions as well as questions testing the candidates appetite for risk. The interview was easy in that no brain teasers were involved.

Sales and Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Greenwich, CT) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview was with 3 members of the senior management team in the Sales and Trading field at RBS. The interview was difficult because they had three people asking questions and it was hard to focus on one person. The questions were largely background information, but some of the questions were why sales and trading and why this industry. My answer were not sufficient in many cases and they kept pushing me for a better answer. I worked at a small financial firm and they asked what products I was most interested in and I struggled to answer not because I didn't know, but just because I never thought about what "products" the company offered. Looking back, I can think of a million things, but at the time, they did not seem to care because I had worked for an insignificant financial firm. I needed to give them actual and pertinent answers and while they said this was more of an "informal" interview, it sure did not feel like it. They played the "laid back" card, but this was not the overall feeling of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What products interests you the most?   1 Answer

Sales and Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Stamford, CT) in October 2009.

Interview

First you have your one on one interviews through your school. Then they invite you to a reception where you mingle with current employees. Then the second round is composed of 1 on 1 interviews with MD's and Heads of departments which are all fit based.

BANKING and FINANCE Interview

Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (New London, CT) in April 2008.

Interview

My first interview was conduct on phone by the ABN Amro Bank N.V Pakistan and I've been ask for my qualification and general question and my learning experience during my internship with financial organization.

Interview Questions

• when I was new in field I was ask for experience.   1 Answer
    • What salary do u expect for this job   1 Answer

Negotiation

mostly of the time I've seen that the employer ask for salary package and benefits and I usually negotiation o it. I just give them the calculation of rise in fuel prices and daily expenditure to meet my daily necessities.

Contact Centre Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

Firstly filled in an online application form, there were a few basic literacy and numeracy questions. Completed and passed, then selected for a telephone interview, arranged a time to do the interview, lasted 30 minutes ish, basic questions, they were keen on the STAR process. Face to face interview with two line managers, basic questions on a print out of a bank statement - which is direct debit etc.