Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions in Manchester, England | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions in Manchester, England

Updated Mar 19, 2017

Commercial Banking Graduate Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Application Process (The general question why RBS and why commercial banking), Cosmic Cadet game (don't know what the use of this game was but i think one of them is to not quit too soon), then logical and numercial tests (very difficult but I don't think the pass rate was as bad don't fret just do your best.. it isn't necessarily multiple choice when it comes to numerical it's a drop down bar practice with their test publishers use talent practice, it really helped me) , telephone interview (not very formal, make sure you read and have preprepared answers have your CV infront look at their values and read their briefing) and then Assessment Centre (still havent had)

Interview Questions

• Telephone Interview:
      Name a time where you had to learn and adapt your approach to a situation to make changes?
      Name a time where you did the right thing?
      Name a time where you put someone or something before you to achieve results?
      Tell us what you know about the role and the company.
      Answer Question

Customer Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

the interview wasnt that bad anyway, i was asked lots of questions but at the end, i wasnt succefull, the interview told me to come back and reply in 6months time.

Personal Mortgage Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

After being selected for interview. Your are invited to meet with the hiring manager. There are always at least two people conducting the interview. The first part of the interview is structured using the the RBS people standards of which there are 9. Covering wide variety of business areas. Such as leadership, growing the business acting with integrity and so on. Your responses are expected to be delivered in the STAR format. SITUATION TASK ACTION RESULT. Giving a personal scenario of how you have demonstrated those behaviours. Your responses are then measured against a scoring chart level 1 - 5 each job role is expected to be at a certain level for example a associate personal banker would be level 1. Mortgage advisor level 2 and 3 and then senior management 4-5.

Once this part is complete you then take part in a role play with one of the interview panel. Your are given a brief. Usually convincing a customer to book a mortgage review with an advisor. You have 15 minutes to prepare. You're are scored here on the fact find, customer service skills, attention to detail and ultimately closing the sale, getting the customer to commit to an appointment.

There are slo some general tell me about yourself why you want this role questions thrown in as well.

Feedback after interview is also given usually within 2 -3 days

Interview Questions

• We like to ensure that we are one team here at RBS, with this in mind could you tell me a time when you successfully worked with other colleagues to achieve a great outcome for a customer?   Answer Question

Relationship Management Support Apprenticeship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

So firstly I had to apply online, and do a few tests (maths/customer service), then I had a phone interview with someone at the recruitment centre. It was basically just competency questions the whole time, it was about 30 minutes. They were mostly "name a time and a place when you have shown good customer service". The hardest part about that was they needed a specific answer of an actual time you did it.

Then a few weeks later I got an email saying I was successful and they give me dates/times of face to face interviews with the actual managers I would be working with and I chose one. when I got there one of the managers come to reception and took me upstairs into a private room where there was another manager, throughout it one of the managers asked the questions while the other rated your answers/taken down notes, they were similar questions to the phone interview questions, mainly competency ones and what your like as a person, I got asked what my friends would describe me as. that was the first half an hour, the second half an hour was a role play where the manager taking the notes would pretend to be a customer in a store (mine was an opticians) and they played a difficult customer and you had to try and deal with the situation.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to help a difficult customer, what did you do and what was the outcome?   2 Answers

Complaint Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview process was pretty straight forward. I have applied through agency. Got the call from agency saying that I am selected for the interview. Interview consists of 2 rounds - Letter writing and face to face interview. In the Letter writing section, need to write a letter to customer with the result.

Interview Questions

• Need to respond to the customer letters received along with a solution.   1 Answer
    • What do you know about this role   1 Answer

Operations Graduate (Manchester) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

General motivational and strength-based questions.

Why RBS?
    What do you know about the role you have applied for?
    What do you think the day to day responsibilities are?
    How do you see yourself relate to RBS's 4 main core values?
    Tell me about a past teamwork experience.
    Tell me your dream job and how does this role help you pursue that dream?
    Tell me about your most memorable personal achievement.
    How do you deal with tasks with conflicting demand?
    Would you describe yourself as an individual who help and support others frequently?

Markets - Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

it was a 30 minute telephone interview in which i answered some strength based questions. there was little in the way of competancy questions it was more just to get to know what motivated me as a person.

Interview Questions

• what are the values you live by when making a decision ?   Answer Question

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Surprisingly quick from completing the online application to receiving the interview invitation from HR took 8 days.

Attended RBS Hardman Boulevard building in Manchester and was interviewed by 2 people.

Interview consisted on 4 Competency based questions from the RBS People Standards - If presented with this interview format, advice is to prepare your response, via the STAR (Situation / Task / Action / Result) format alongside the following:

RBS Values

b. Act with integrity

4. Thinking long term
      a. Deliver lasting results
      b. Learn and adapt

Now having to adapt a number of CV entries to the STAR format was quite helpful, remembering that in this type of interview, 'I' as in you, not 'We' is paramount, I'd taken the weekend on and off in order to have a suitable spread.

Come the day of the interview, it went really well with 2 hours being spent on 4 multi-faceted questions. There was one system question in the wrap up, but, not a big - We all deal with systems, and we pick them up, particularly when the role profile states that Training will be provided.

So, with the thought that I'd nailed it, I felt quite good ...

Received a call from RBS today, and, despite the interview going well, wasn't successful - Primarily they need someone with the specific system experience mentioned in the wrap up ... As it's a new system / team that they're rolling out, but, could they retain my details as something could develop in the future ...

Now, whilst I attempt to avoid cynicism: I'm left scratching my head ... Often these roles are filled internally, which means that the role isn't actually there, but, we'll have to advertise in the spirit of transparency!

In summary:

On paper, a fair HR process, seemingly transparent but let down at the Human Interface

Interview Questions

• Good question - Can't quite remember as they ask you for your notes   1 Answer

Solution Architecture Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Telephone chat talking about background. Followed by a competency based interview with 2 senior managers. Fixed questions with 'technical' question at the end which is more role specific. No further interviews required and went straight to offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for RBS   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to convince a stakeholder why you were right and they were wrong   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was negotiable , salary bands in place but possible to go above these in exceptional al circumstances. All other aspects of package are fixed

Technology and Transformation Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Manchester, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Assessment centre in Manchester- The process was smooth and relaxed, however one interviewer told me he had just found out he was assessing the day before which I found a little last minute. Started with a group discussion which assessors just watched- be sure to engage in good teamwork here, they are checking how you work with others so let others speak, and encourage ideas. They give you a case study on a mobile app and ask you questions surrounding it so discuss pros and con of features, why you need certain stakeholders to be a part of this app (they give you a list) and how will you get feedback.
    Next is the stakeholder presentation meeting- you get a scenario saying they want to release the app earlier and whether or not you can do it. Info is provided but ensure to present well, speak slowly and cover all relevant points. Be prepared to answer questions afters ie. risks of releasing early etc.
    Last is the one on one competency interview- don't be nervous here and take your time to answer the questions using the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• Give me a scenario when you failed to reach a deadline.   Answer Question