Royal Bank of Scotland Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Bank of Scotland Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2017

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2013.

Interview

Remote interview initially. Gave me 2 take-home tests which took around 25 hours to complete. Nailed the first one & pretty certain I got the 2nd one correct as well. Pointed out some bugs in the sample results.

Since this was a real production code problem, I probably fixed it for them. So, I don't have a very high opinion of the company or the individual that interviewed me for it, who is a VP.

They wanted me to pay to come out and interview with them in Utah. I declined. Very cheap company.

Interview Questions

• It was 2 take home problems that took at least 25 hours to complete.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Royal Bank of Scotland

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First round was an e-litmus test. Around 27 students were shortlisted among 180 students. After a week, the remaining processes were conducted. Group discussion was conducted for 30 minutes followed by a written test. Finally, there was a personal interview for about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• HR questions, few technical questions like stack,queue, pointers,binary tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

Online test with programming multiple choice questions
    two rounds of technical interview with questions on mutithreading, design patterns, collection, generics, puzzles, Spring, Hibernate, Database concepts and queries, Cache Management
    Design a problem and explain the design steps with technologies used.
    Manager interview
    HR interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in April 2016.

Interview

1. Written test of 1hr, Written test of 1hr, Written test of 1hr, Written test of 1hr, Written test of 1hr, Written test of 1hr,

Interview Questions

• 1. Objective question related to java and mainly of thread .
      2. 3 subjective questions , program for link list   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied through my college. First it was an aptitude test and a basic coding MCQ test. 20 students of different branches were shortlisted for further procedure. It was very professional interview process. The process included a GD, presentation, basic coding test and HR interview. The people there were highly professional and expected the same from us.

Interview Questions

• GD: We were in a group of 5 and were given different jobs and had to discuss as if we were working at that level.
      Presentation: In a group of 3, we had to do a case study and prepare a presentation on that.
      Coding Test: Basic level. We had to write 2 codes. One in C. and one was of Class which i dont remember. Someone with non CSE background can also do that.
      Interview:
      What are your future plans?
      Why not family business?
      Most unethical thing u have done?
      What do you know about RBS?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in March 2016.

Interview

RBS have fairly lengthy interview process. It took whole day

Round 1 Written(Core JAVA MCQ and 3 programs to write).

Round 2 Technical Interview (Screening for basic java knowledge).

Round 3 Written (Focussed on Designing).

Round 4 Technical Interview (Lot of discussion. Questions span from your design and improvements. Threads, Concurrency it could be anything).

Round 5 Manager Round( I was knocked out here. The manager didn't seemed to be of sound mind. Well when you go into organisations such as RBS you would expect someone with very polished inter personal skills and specially good with words and english.I must say he was very very rude no hello no thanks nothing and over top of it. He didn't uttered a single word in english. It seemed I was talking to a street vendor. Also I felt he had already decided whom to pick and my interview was just a formality. Despite, answering all the answers correctly I was shown out the door. ).

Round 6 HR

Interview Questions

• Design a chess board application. Design a shopping cart application. Wait Notify problem. Concurrency. etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Pune (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

Attended for a Walk-in drive, The whole process is very cool.
    First round is on technical written test. Then I am through the next round which was very simple interview questions. After that, They took me third round which was just a casual talk about my projects career and interest. Now I was informed to be ready for HR round in next 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking for a change and how do you help our organization with your skills ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It depends on your skill set and technology

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview

written test with logical and theoretical questions about mainframe technologies
    if cleared the next round 1:1 interview .. then 2nd round round with team lead or manager
    then final HR round

Interview Questions

• 1. one question to write SQL queries for selecting data like no. of employee in company and company id etc i.e order by group by and foregion key constraints
      2. one question on CICS where some CEMT statements where their which we need to define
      3. diff in dfhcomarea and channel container
      4. LUW and SYNCPOINT
      5 what will happen PROGRAM IS CHANGED BUT WE TRY TO RUN BY OLD PLAN
      6. what are cobol tables and how they are used
      7. how to optimise Complex DB2 QUERY
      8 how to optimise batch cycle if taking long time and giving many abends
      9. one logical question with reasoning

then 1:1 it was normal CICS DB2 cobol
      it depends on your interviewer

then managerial round
      with basic questions what you want and how you think of company
      where you see your self and why this company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

had 4 rounds. gd followed by presentation then technical interview. technical interview was more of HR type.The level of difficulty was good.They asked ques on environment cleanliness as well.It was one-to-one.

Interview Questions

• one logical question that you have two match sticks n 1 match box.one matchstick takes 1 hour to burn completely. how will you know that 45 mins have past.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland (Chennai (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

1st round written test
    2nd round technical interview
    3rd round technical + management interview

3 rounds interview process took one day. After some 35 days
    4th round HR discussion (thru Phone) happened.

Written test consist both technical and aptitude
    In technical interview mostly written test questions are repeated
    In 3rd round questions are based on candidate's daily work
    In HR discussion % CTC discussion happened

10 days after HR discussion Pre Offer letter released.

So whole interview process took almost 45 days which is undesirable by any candidate.

Interview Questions

• How do you compare two files and produce matched record in a file and unmatched record in another file?   Answer Question