Royal Mail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Mail Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.9

Delivery Driver and Postwomen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folkestone, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Folkestone, England (UK)).

Interview

One to one. Relaxed and asked a series of standard questions. I received an email a week later to say I hadn't got the exact job but that I had passed the interview and am now on the waiting list for three months. If another job comes up, then I just apply but will not need to go through the interview process again within the three months.

Interview Questions

• What checks would you make on your vehicle.   1 Answer

Grad Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Royal Mail.

Interview

I had to complete:
    Online application form
    Online Situational Judgement Test, Numerical and Verbal reasoning
    Assessment Centre which involved: 60 min Interview, group exercise, case study and presentation
    Waiting to hear back from them now

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Royal Mail? What motivated you to apply?   8 Answers

Postman/Postwoman With Driving Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Mail in February 2017.

Interview

Informal and straightforward, seen by manager on his own,some questions are difficult dependant upon your background and previous work experience. Emphasis appeared to be on being able to work as a team and flexibility around working overtime, weekends etc . I found the online test more taxing than the interview ! Don't forget all your id documents and photocopies of them. You don't necessarily get turned away but it shows an ability to be organised. Awaiting result of interview

Interview Questions

• Give an occasion when you've had a stressful situation at work and how you've dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Give an occasion when you've made a change to a work related matter and how it improved the organisation.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of your flexibility when working   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working in all weathers particularly very cold and wet conditions   Answer Question
    • What things would you check on a vehicle before you started your round.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Royal Mail (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Hugely unprofessional interview with the person who would be my manager and the person I would be replacing. Spent most of the interview talking amongst themselves about things that had nothing to do with the role, didn't ask any competency questions, despite sending a sheet of more than 20 of them to prepare. Worst of all one of them kept checking his phone. Stopped asking me anything after 20 minutes and left me asking them questions for 10 minutes. Felt like a complete waste of time from start to finish.

Delivery Driver and Postwomen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Axminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Axminster, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, completing two Talent Q group tests. One of which was a personality based questionnaire, which was lengthly and repetitive, but fairly easy. My answers focused mainly on positive interaction with people and good attitude. The second of which was a numerical test where you had to check that long strings of numbers match up correctly to each other. I feel I did well in these and received an email saying I had got through to an interview, which was great.

I turned up for my interview at the address and time supplied on the email, however the delivery office was closed as I realised I had been given an interview out of opening hours. I wondered around the 'no public access area' in the delivery area but everywhere was deserted. Whilst I was checking the email incase I had missed any information about where to go or what to do, I luckily bumped into a kind royal mail worker that took me through to a difficult to see entrance to the warehouse and through to a small office. I was then told that I was not expected as the manager wasn't there, and there was someone from a different office covering for him.
    I was then sat down whilst the 'interviewer' looked around for my cv, gave it a quick glance, and then took me through the basics of working for royal mail, which mainly focused on the negatives (bad weather, vicious animals, tiring, hard work etc), but I knew what I was getting myself in for as my brother has been a postman ,and thought I would fit the job well. I was then told that the manager would be in touch in a few days to reschedule another interview. This was slightly disappointing as I had made the effort to prepare for the interview and drive to the location, but they had not made the effort to let me know in advance that the interview would not be happening.

A couple days later I received an automated email telling me 'We are sorry to have to tell you that due to unforeseen circumstances this vacancy has now been withdrawn.' Quite annoying but continued to apply for other Royal Mail jobs.

Then, nearly three weeks later, I received an email saying that the vacancy I had applied for originally had been changed from 30 hours to 24 hours, and that this will be covered with me in an interview. I thought great, as now the process can continue and I will be able to have the interview as I was scheduled for, and waited for them to send me another booking. However, a few days later, I was just sent 'We are sorry to inform you that on this occasion your application has not been successful as you did not meet the criteria for this role.'

I thought this was very unfair as I had successfully completed the application process and was not even given the opportunity of an interview, been messed around and had my time wasted.

The only thing I can think of as to why they decided my application was unsuccessful is that they prejudged me when I came to my interview, perhaps as I am a young female, without ever being given the chance to show that I was capable of enduring difficult physical exercise, lifting and have lots of experience in customer service.

Overall a very poor process!

Mail Sorter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

1-1 interview, very relaxed vibe, got asked 6 questions based of past work experinces and a breif talk about what the job involves. It took about 45mins even though it was a 1hr slot. The man interviewing me was really nice and gave me lots of insight about the company how they work and what they would expect of you. It will be a 25hr 12month contract that they are looking to make permenant after the 12months are up.

Interview Questions

• When have you ever given exception customer service?   Answer Question
    • Can you work weekend?   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you had to deal with an awkward customer, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • When was the last time you offered an idea of change that you thought would be beneficial at work? How did the team deal with the new changes?   Answer Question
    • What are the 5 basic safety rules of healtg and safety?   Answer Question

Delivery Driver and Postwomen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Leicester, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very straight forward.
    1 person
    Competency Based Initially (Give me an example when) x 6
    Job Specific Questions
    Overview Of The Job

Interviewer has a booklet that they ask the questions from and then simply fills in the boxes.

Delivery Driver and Postwomen Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Hull, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail Hull England) in January 2017.Very straight forward.
    1 person
    Competency Based Initially (Give me an example when) x 6
    Job Specific Questions
    Overview Of The Job

Interview Questions

• What checks on the van would you do before setting off?
      Answer Question
      Answer Question

Postman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Norwich, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Bit chaotic as busy on the day I was interviewed. Was made to standing in sorting area for about 20mins. The chap doing the interview was very pleasant though and explained that he had to follow the set questions in front of him. Thank god I had thought to check on this website for interview questions to prime myself as I thought it might be less formal and structured.

Interview Questions

• set questions - explain a situation where you displayed resilience at work, why work for Royal Mail, explain where you saw a breach of health and safety at work, explain how you react to change at work, describe a new process you came up with to improve work efficiency.   Answer Question

Postman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kidderminster, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Kidderminster, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

This review is regarding the first response email you get after applying. It is an automated email you get a few minutes after submitting an online application and it has a link you click to take you to 2 groups of online tests. 1 is accuracy on numbers and barcodes that you can take your time on but the second test is timed and far more difficult.

Interview Questions

• You have to compare a series of numbers and codes on one side of the screen to similar or same numbers on the other side of the screen. A timer ticks away at the top and you get 30 seconds.   1 Answer